Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hard modern single player games

snoek

Cipher
hotline miami 1 and 2? not that new and there's a lot of trickery you can do but they're not easy games and need some perseverance and lots of trial and error to complete

deama

Prophet
The new ace combat skies unknown was decently hard if you played on hardest difficulty.

Kingdom come deliverance I thought was decently hard, especially now with the newer difficulty editions in the enhanced edition.

Age of decadence had decent difficulty, they made a dungeon crawler version called dungeon rats that is much harder (combat wise).

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
If you don't optimize your builds for Grim Dawn, it can be very difficult mid to late game. Sometimes impossible, I've found; at least with the DLC included that might have ramped up difficulty in the base game.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Age of Decadence - it is actually supposed to be hard.

NEO Scavenger - also pretty hard since so much is random in the beginning. Or you need to know some pretty good tactics, eg. making spears.

Arthandas

Prophet
I have a hard time staying focused on games that don't challenge me enough
Yeah, I hate easy games. Unless I'm playing specifically for the story I always jump right into the highest difficulty mode and if it's not challenging enough I just drop the game.
Sadly modern SP games are mostly pretty easy even on the hardest difficulty settings. If you're looking for a serious challenge you're basically left with roguelikes and roguelites.

Some of my favorites:
Roguebook - 27 ascension levels like in Slay the Spire (but more customizable) + optional meta progression which you can disable for even greater challenge
Tainted Grail - endless ascension levels
Trials of Fire - 10 ascension levels and even the basic difficulty is quite hard
Roguelikes: Infra Arcana and Golden Krone Hotel

Also, both Pathfinder and Deadfire (especially with god challenges) are pretty hardcore on highest difficulty levels.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Games are more challenging if you don't use a walkthrough.

Some games that I would say provide satisfying challenge are -
- Invisible, Inc
- Darkest Dungeon

Machocruz

Arcane
Bashing my nuts against Sekiro currently. Pretty intense. Mini-bosses rape me harder than major bosses so far.

For some reason, I'm finding Enter the Gungeon bosses to be pretty difficult. I can't get used to roll-dodging bullet hell.

Melcar

Arcane
Fight 'n Rage
One of the best beat em ups (or brawlers) and it was made by 2 people! The music is awesome, the combat can get quite technical, and the game does not pull any punches.

Really tried to get into it as it's fun and the mechanics are solid. But by God. What the fuck is up with the color pallete and graphics? I don't mind the pixel art, but just the overall look of it. I get it they tried to mimic a CRT screen from an arcade cabinet, but the game just looks horrible. They have options to change the look a bit, with filters and gama/HDR options, but that often makes it look worse. Gives me a headache.

7h30n

Augur
Fight 'n Rage
One of the best beat em ups (or brawlers) and it was made by 2 people! The music is awesome, the combat can get quite technical, and the game does not pull any punches.

Really tried to get into it as it's fun and the mechanics are solid. But by God. What the fuck is up with the color pallete and graphics? I don't mind the pixel art, but just the overall look of it. I get it they tried to mimic a CRT screen from an arcade cabinet, but the game just looks horrible. They have options to change the look a bit, with filters and gama/HDR options, but that often makes it look worse. Gives me a headache.

That is a shame, I don't have a problem with the CRT filtered look. Well, then there's always Streets of Rage 4 as a safe bet.

Games are more challenging if you don't use a walkthrough.

Some games that I would say provide satisfying challenge are -
- Invisible, Inc
- Darkest Dungeon

Seconding Invisible Inc.
I don't know how I forgot about the first time, and I keep recommending it to everyone all the time. It's quite possible it stopped being hard for me, so I omitted it in this thread.
The game has a unique spin on tactics games, as it focuses on stealth rather than shooting. The random elements are handled quite well, as the actions that the characters can do have a deterministic outcome, but the level and item generation is random.

Unfortunately, I found Darkest Dungeon rather boring to play.
I think the issue is that the game is just a string of not so interesting battles, but omits the (for me) crucial element of proper dungeon crawlers, and that's the actual dungeon crawling aspect. I'd rather play any of the other true dungeon crawlers like Wizardry, Elminage, Labyrinth of Refrain or Stranger of Sword City. Each of these can be quite difficult.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Ghostrunner, just take a look at the first boss fight of the game:

Been meaning to get that game, but I always feared it woul be another Ruiner.

I've played both and Ghostrunner is much better than Ruiner. It is a very demanding game, especially as your progress is only saved after you complete a level. Despite the steep difficulty, I had a lot of fun with both the main game and the DLC which was released earlier this year. Just give it a try. The game is on sale on GOG at the moment and if you want to try before you by, you can trivially pirate it as well.

Melcar

Arcane
Fight 'n Rage

That is a shame, I don't have a problem with the CRT filtered look. Well, then there's always Streets of Rage 4 as a safe bet.

I don't mind those filters either, even if I always turn them off. It's just the game looks way too dark and the colors way to bright. You can adjust the brightness levels but that makes the game look too washed out. The HDR options are useless too and make the game looks even worse. Messing with my monitor sort of fixes it, but as this game is the only one with this issue I just don't bother. Too much contrast being used. It's like playing in a dimly lit smoky bar on a beat up old arcade cabinet whose screen is about to go out. As a game it's my favorite beat'em up after TMNT as I find the combat rather satisfying.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It might not be new enough anymore but Time Splitters 2 is the most difficult fps game in existence, requiring pixel perfection on Hard.

New games in general aren't all that hard.

Maybe Baba Is You if you like puzzles? Any SHMUP, as well.
KOTC 2 is hard, sure, but in a "reset until you get initiative" way so that doesn't really count.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom