Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Happy Birthday MCA!

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Excidium said:

Just imagine all those people who innocently see that link on his facebook and think "hey this is probably a nice place when they do things like that, I'm gonna visi.... HOLY SHIT

:what::what::what:

:D

Added myself to list of potential stalking victims. :salute:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Happy birthday Mr. Avellone! Here's to Descent to Undermountain 2 ;)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lockkaliber said:
He just posted it on facebook.
I can't find it. (Yes, I'm too stupid to use Facebook.) Could you throw me a link?

Also it is heartwarming to see that MCA is still a BRO, and not a "stick in the ass" designer, who doesn't associate himself with the Codex in any way. Unlike the guys at Beth and Bioware, who even censore the sites name at their forums.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Brother None said:
asper said:
What parts of Torment did Avellone write? Who wrote what exactly in that game? Did he design the plot structure as well?

MCA pretty much did everything except what he had to relegate. Here
Chris Avellone: I wrote a first draft and character briefs of most of the characters in the game (I’d say 75%, a sample of one of these dialogue briefs is attached - Ravel_First_Draft.doc), and then designers for individual areas would script and revise them, taking them to something along the lines of Ravel_Final.doc. Probably a poor example, since I wrote Ravel from start to the finished template, but it should give you a sense of scope, and taking it from first draft to final copy was no small task.

I probably did the most writing, but Colin, Warner, Maldonado, Bokkes, Jason Suinn, Deiley, and others all made original characters as well as revising the suggested ones. Suinn, for example, did a lot of the core work for the Alley of Dangerous Angles and a number of original characters (and item descriptions), and Warner and Colin hammered away at Curst. In general, each designer took a portion of the game and fleshed it out.

Note that while we wrote these dialogues in Word, we had a clunky process for getting them into the editor and testing them – we had several tech designers (Presnell, Hendee, Derek Johnson, and Dave Maldonado) who actually helped get the frameworks into the game and inputed them directly into the editor. Maldonado had the horrid task of getting Fell’s dialogue into the game, which was a huge pain because it technically was three dialogues in one (and huge ones) depending on who was translating for the player.

Since then, we've tried to use batch files and importation processes for entering dialogues into game editors, and when possible, we try to write dialogues directly in the editor (NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer).

Colin McComb: I hate to say it again, but Chris did the major work on the game. I would estimate that although he had seven designers on his team, he did about 50% of the work on the project. Keep in mind that he did all this while he was working on Fallout 2 as well. The man is truly prolific.

Thanks BN, that is beyond awesome. Thank you mr. Avellone for one of my favourite gaming experiences ever!

Let's celebrate this topic further

rpgs.jpg

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
J_C said:
Surf Solar said:
J_C said:
Lockkaliber said:
I can't find it. (Yes, I'm too stupid to use Facebook.) Could you throw me a link?

It's on his wall, here.

http://www.facebook.com/chris.avellone
I can't see anything. I guess that is because I'm not on his friendlist. :(

Send a friend request, he's a true bro. He even went to great length to explain Obsidian's internship process to a friend of mine who was green to the industry, and asked him to send an application.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lockkaliber said:
J_C said:
Surf Solar said:
J_C said:
Lockkaliber said:

It's on his wall, here.

http://www.facebook.com/chris.avellone
I can't see anything. I guess that is because I'm not on his friendlist. :(

Send a friend request, he's a true bro. He even went to great length to explain Obsidian's internship process to a friend of mine who was green to the industry, and asked him to send an application.
Thanks, I did.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
By divine coincidence or threat of shaming, all of the edgy people kept their opinions out of this thread. Anyone who stumbled upon this thread without knowing who MCA is (hard to avoid discovering him while on RPGCodex) would instantly understand that he has reached previously unheard of BRO levels.

Peter said:
I know I'm late, but when I saw this thread, I just knew what I had to do. :M

:mca: http://swfup.com/view/hpe5 :mca:

I lost track of how many times I let this loop. I particularly enjoy the music synchronization.

But I just have one question: who or what was that thing with the green shades?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Lockkaliber said:

True bro.

Josh Sawyer is pretty bro, too. He answers basically any reasonable question on his Formspring, and on FB he also links to some good internet meso-/gd/ type of net articles.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Also, MCA, condolences on your K2 writing being retconned out of existence. Uhh or should I even mention this bad news.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom