Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Handheld RPG's; Whats hot?

Ladonna

Arcane
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone can point out what RPG's in the handheld arena are any good? Not 'sorta good' but actually good. They all look Japanese to me so I need the Codexers to fill in the blanks on this. Handhelds would include DS, PSP, and any other newish contraption that is doing the rounds.

ta

Korgan

Arbiter
I've played WH40K: Squad Command on an NDS emulator. It's squad combat with no RPG elements, but still pretty decent. There's a PSP version too.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I've played Sword Of mana and FF tactics on GBA, they are good games.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Valkyrie Profile on PSP.

Joan de'Arc on PSP is good too, but I got bored at the last third part and dropped it.

I only played Golden Sun on GBA, and it's random encounters made me swear aloud. The most worthwhile games on handhelds seem to be 2d platformers like Metroid Fusion or turn-based strategy games like Advance Wars.

There's Doom RPG for cell phones, though.

Heresiarch

Prophet
The PSP Valkyrie Profile is actually the port of the PS2 version, the biggest difference is the PS2's anime cutscenes got ditched for PSP's 3D CG.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have a DS, but the only game I've really played on it was Phoenix Wright.

larpingdude14

Scholar
ds rpgs i've played:

Mazes of Fate DS
mazes_of_fate_screen_1.jpg

i havent finished it yet but so far im enjoying it

Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
mystery-dungeon-shiren-the-wanderer-20080304035301815.jpg

graphical rougue-like
this game is too hard for me :(

The World End With You
Wewy.jpg

pros:
+decent story
+GREAT music
+innovative battle system

cons:
-extremely linear
-filled with wiggers

Orcs & Elves
Orcs_n_Elves_04.JPG

an rpg from John Carmack, decent game but nothing special

Mario and Luigi Partners in Time
a_med_eg_m+l01.jpg

Not as good as the prequel but still it is a good game.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
sonic-chronicles-the-dark-brotherhood-ds-03.jpg

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=26642

Dragon Quest IV
Dragon-Quest-IV-DS-03.jpg

good game if you like jrpgs but a little easy and repetative

Etrian Odyssey I&II
etrian-odyssey--20070516024837142.jpg

extremey long hardcore dungeon crawlers

Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates & Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
final-fantasy-3-ds.jpg

must haves :lol:

Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
1538-550x-fishing.jpg

harvest moon with a sword. addictive as fuck.

Contact
contact-3.jpg

completely skill-based rpg
interesting concept, lackluster execution

Heresiarch

Prophet
There are a bunch of hack & slash RPG on the PSP too, namely the Valhalla Knights 1 and 2, Dungeon Maker (VERY addicting game) and Dungeon Explorer. All published by the same company IIRC. All good stuff to kill time.

Or you can install a emulator and play the good ol' PS1 RPGs. E.g Tactics Ogre and Chrono Trigger.

But screw RPG, my PSP is used 90% time for Monster Hunter.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Xor said:
I don't have a DS, but the only game I played from that platform was Phoenix Wright 1st and 2nd, still planing to play the 3rd and that one spin-off.
That's just like me.

Ladonna

Arcane
Kavax said:
Get a flash card for your DS, get the C64 emulator for DS and you have a portable Wasteland.

wat

How does this work? I cannot think of anything more appealing. At least when it comes to handhelds.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Ladonna said:
Kavax said:
Get a flash card for your DS, get the C64 emulator for DS and you have a portable Wasteland.

wat

How does this work? I cannot think of anything more appealing. At least when it comes to handhelds.

Basically, buy a slot 1 flash card like the R4, and from there just find the emulator you're looking for, drag and drop it onto the card, and then drag and drop the roms into a folder on the card. It's all really simple. I'm running a version of ScummVM for DS myself... LucasArts adventures on the go. Good stuff.

By the way, if you like turn-based strategy games, I suggest you try Front Mission. The SNES version you can of course try for free with an emulator, and the DS version has an additional campaign. It's pretty simple and doesn't really have a whole lot of tactical depth (then again some reviewers said it's too complex and overwhelming, but you know how they are). Basically each of your units moves, then either attacks or uses an item, there's either short (melee and most guns) or various long ranges (missiles and grenade launchers), and randomly activating battle skills that let you target specific body parts, shoot faster etc. You gain level-ups where your combat skills improve accordingly to how much you have used them, and mostly gain new stuff by getting to new towns and buying fuckloads of it which gets pretty tedious at some point, as you have two weapon slots, two shoulder slots, backpack, computer, legs, body and maybe items if you want them. Then you sell old parts. It's a pretty clunky interface which makes updating the mechs a chore after a while. A shame. But still it's entertaining enough that I have actually re-played it several times (though admittedly back then I didn't have a lot of games). I can't say how good the dialogue and story are anymore, since it has been a long time since I played it, but IIRC they're better than most (all?) Final Fantasy games. Perhaps I'm just nostalgic, but, as I said, trying the SNES version is free (maybe you could get a SNES emulator working in the DS?).

Ladonna

Arcane
Sounds pretty good guys. I am definately checking these out.

re emulation; Is there a good emulator for dos games? I can see a PC emu there but when I go to the webpage it says for GBA. It also does not stipulate whether it will do dos or not.

pug987

Scholar
Heresiarch said:
The PSP Valkyrie Profile is actually the port of the PS2 version, the biggest difference is the PS2's anime cutscenes got ditched for PSP's 3D CG.

The PSP Valkyrie Profile is actually the port of the Playstation 1 version. The biggest difference is the one Heresiarch mentions. Also the movement at the psp version is a bit smoother and the graphics look a bit better, but that's to be expected.

The PS2 Valkyrie profile is the sequel (or possible prequel, haven't played it and don't remember right now which) of the above.

Galar

Novice
I recently get to myself a ds (nope didn't steal it to the little brother) I got Etrian Odyssey and FF4. Well I pick up the ds because I saw there was a nice series of remake of old rpg. Ok that point is fine but I'm curious of what I'll really get from it.

I'm playing FF4 it isn't bad and has good points but I regret some characteristics:
  • No preference allowing to disable the music and have instead some environment sounds. Not cool for a remake.
  • Another point I don't like a lot is how many random fights there are. The figth system is interesting when the team grows and the characters get more power. But with so many repetition it is becoming a little repetitive.
  • The exploration is a little poor, not much stuff to discover apart few chests and very few secrets well done because they get a fair hint, too many that are poor secrets because of no hints.
  • The class system let no choice, you just level up and get more power. Perhaps it is a bit influenced by how you manage fights with each character but nothing obvious and the overall system seems a bit simple.

Ok there are good point too, I haven't yet give up because:
  • I'm hoping fights becoming more interesting as the game progress, the fight system has clearly potential for that.
  • The story seems a bit more tin that in more recent FF I tried but ok it does a good job anyway.
  • Characters are well done and give a charm to the game.
  • The little addition to the ds version increase a little the childish mood but are still good to take.

Well ok it's just a point of view a long before to have finish the game but well.

DarkenRahl

Novice
i recommend the golden sun games, addictive but there is ALOT of talking, however there is alot in the game to find like all the djinn and weapons.

Plus the graphics for GBA look great and it is a worthwhile game just to play at the start and say "no" when someone asks you "will you go and save the world" and watch the gameover screen come up. ;)

Have a SS

A lot of talking? That's not what I recall them having a lot of, since every few steps there's a random encounter. They seem to have more random encounters than the old FF games. I liked them, though, better than most FF games, really, but entering combat occasionally made me swear out loud in a bus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom