Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HA HA IM PLAYING TEH ASS BROTOCOLS

Radisshu

Prophet
Darth Roxor said:
Man, that was fucking cheap.

The mission in the ruins in Rome: if you spare Shaheed, you can contact him and arrange the local Al-Samad folks to be neutral. This makes like 5 or 6 starting terrorists not attack you. But afterwards, there are Deus Vult agents who you have to get through.

Well, okay. This time I killed Shaheed, I get to the ruins, and what do I see? Al-Samad all over the place, no Deus Vult agents.

Fucking cheap, I tell you.

What annoyed the fuck out of me in Rome was how Marburg will commend you on your sneakiness, even if you fucked up a little in earlier missions, when you first meet him. But if you did everything perfectly, but assassinated the guy at the palace, then he thinks you're a sloppy fuck.

Monocause

Arcane
Did you guys know that you get bonus perks for getting trigger happy at the Al-Bara mission? I'm now replaying a psychotic killler guy and murdered almost all the guests and boy, was that fun.

I also massacred the CIA. Marburg commented on both. Funny thing, my character looks exactly like Roxor's - a beret, these large sunglasses and a lumberjack beard.
This game is choice LP material. Someone who can be arsed to take screenshots and upload them should do one, with a psychotic playthrough, being a dick and murdering everyone.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
apgame2010060511205020.png

apgame2010060511190015.png

Whoo, having trouble on my second playthrough (normal) as Recruit. I think it's less the skillpoints than me trying to do SMG & Melee (thus no silenced tranq shots from the pistol). Maybe I should stock up on subsonic rounds for the AR...

denizsi

Arcane
I think they were supposed to be aliens (Russian) but they didn't have the time to implement it.

Project: Eternity
Monocause said:
Did you guys know that you get bonus perks for getting trigger happy at the Al-Bara mission? I'm now replaying a psychotic killler guy and murdered almost all the guests and boy, was that fun.

Does your handler comment on the kills? Who did you have? I used Mina I think.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Are there any good weapons in this game? I only bought a new pistol once during my whole playthrough but there are around a dozen different ones. All these weapons are expensive as fuck but they suck so bad.

circ

Arcane
Best weapons are generally the ones you loot from (executed) bosses. Gold AR in Saudi, Gold SMG's in Moscow, Shotgun from Omen in Taipei. Too bad they, and most of the other weapons and armor look like shit.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
the gold ar is inferior to most of the tier 3 assault rifles.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yeah, the gold ones are nothing compared to T3 weaponry. The Mods can easily boost a weapon an entire tier of more though... especially if you only want to boost one or two stats.

Radisshu

Prophet
Mods are the way to go. Getting new weapons isn't that important, you can pretty much go through the whole game with your starting equipment with no real problems. Especially if you max their skills out.

I restarted as a Freelancer, focusing on assault rifle and hand to hand for combat and will get a lot of points in Toughness. It's a way better experience to be able to shoot goons. Also, I noticed a little extra mission during the intro that I didn't see last time.

Dark Helmet

Novice
Anyone else reminded of Deus Ex: Invisible War? Similar questionable AI and ragdoll physics at least.

Thanks for the LP.

My thoughts:

Game runs perfectly, but that should be expected considering it doesn't look particularly good and the levels are all small.

Gunplay I love. All the weapons feel differentiated and yet still fairly powerful. Aiming prowess is an excellent combination of stats and player ability. Fuck anyone who thinks its sloppy or hard to use, it is perfect. If you know of a game where stat-based aiming is better implemented, I would really like to see it. The only (laughable) problem is that you fire bullets out of the camera instead of the gun. IE, if you can see around a corner, you can shoot around a corner even if your character is pointing his gun into the wall. Its up to the player to abuse that or not, though.

Sneaking is OK, the problem is more that levels are really constrained consolized. Its almost hilarious how every building has 4 ways to get in, including a front door, a side entrance with keycode, an entrance from a rooftop ladder and a wildcard entrance, yet the the building itself is about the size of my house. And every time you finish 2 rooms of a level you are forever barred from going backwards to previous areas. There just is no room to sneak around in most cases other then the developer-selected procedure of which way you can go.

Enemies spawning in out of thin air = lulz. My guess is that more then 4 enemies at a time slows down xbawkz so they decided to spawn in more enemies after you kill a few. Pisses me off when a guy with a rocket launcher appears right in the area I just cleared. I would be complaining about not being able to move bodies in the stealth section (seriously? how did they fucking leave that out?) but all bodies disappear if you move 15 feet and look away from them to help save xbawkz some memory. lol.

C&C is OK so far, I haven't finished the game. It seems limited mostly to +- 5-10% buffs which is hardly inspiring, but I'll still give the end a chance. It hardly seems like it should be the main advertising point of the game, though.

I've been completely bug free other then getting stuck inside a door once. I dunno if AI patrol routes are bugging up, sometimes they seem to stop patrolling way for a few minutes and just stand around but I'm not even sure if thats a bug. Your mileage may vary.

Enemy AI is simple, but I've hardly seen it do stuff that would make it seem as remarkably stupid as some people are saying. No running up to me backwards. It hears things annoyingly well, and if they are alert they are much better at finding you then when they are just standing around patrolling.

Overall, its an excellent game that feels cut short by consoltardation. If we had large open levels Deus Ex-style instead of what is it now, I would be prepared to name it GOTY. As it is, I'm still pleasantly surprised and would like to see a sequel with a few of the other obvious problems fixed.

SuicideBunny said:
Freelance Henchman said:
Also, I noticed a little extra mission during the intro that I didn't see last time.
hm?

Talking to Parker he suddenly offered me a little extra mission in the Graybox: find some data that Westridge apparently doesn't want to share with him. If you accept, Parker opens the way back to the operating room where you find the data, and then return it to him.

circ

Arcane
Um, that just requires that you get 100+ points in the stealth training course. If you do the data gathering without the guards seeing you (takedowns are fine), you won't get -1 disapproval from Parker, and change in flavor text at the end of training. All the trainers give a bonus challenge if you get 100+ points.

Monocause

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
Gunplay I love (...)

Liked it too. Things I did miss though were a point blank shot mechanic and an option to switch your assault rifle to full automatic. While the second thing might be explained with balance (it could cannibalise the function of the SMG's making them more-or less obsolete while without the function each weapon has a clearly defined role), the first thing really should be there. It gets stupid sometimes when you can't hit a guy who's only 2 meters away from you.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Monocause said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Gunplay I love (...)

Liked it too. Things I did miss though were a point blank shot mechanic and an option to switch your assault rifle to full automatic. While the second thing might be explained with balance (it could cannibalise the function of the SMG's making them more-or less obsolete while without the function each weapon has a clearly defined role), the first thing really should be there. It gets stupid sometimes when you can't hit a guy who's only 2 meters away from you.
If you level up your martial arts you can finish a combo with a point blank shot. But I think that's about it, besides pointblanking with a shottie.

Mangoose said:
If you level up your martial arts you can finish a combo with a point blank shot. But I think that's about it, besides pointblanking with a shottie.

Pff, I didn't level up martial arts. As soon as an enemy started blocking one of my attacks I shot him with the pistol normally a few times until he learned not to do that anymore. :lol:.

Monocause

Arcane
Did you play on hard? Trying to shoot someone from the pistol at that range always meant death for me given the low rate of fire. While you don't get any point blank benefits, the enemies seem to hit you every goddamn time when really close regardless of their weapons or skill level.

Yeah, I'm playing on hard. Its a real quick 2 shots and then back to punching, I don't aim I just spam them straight out in about .25 seconds. With no martial arts I can comfortably take on most single enemies and take no damage, or kill two of them and need a bit of healing. Its not like its my main attack method, just a good fallback that you can rely on to take out a rushing enemy quickly if you bungle something up. Considering the rest of my weapons are all still at 0 (level 8 ATM), I don't have much choice :cry:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom