Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guilds in Skyrim.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So bros, I'm starting another Skyrim thread because there can never be too many. But I'm wondering about guilds, and I don't really see much impressions on them in the other threads. Has anyone had the chance to do much in the way of guild quests? Impressions would be nice.

For instance, are there any Morrowind-level interactions between the guilds with potential things being cut off, or are they still completely seperate? Is there any C&C or multiple paths? And how about progression of the quest line: is there some open-ended-ness or is it completely linear like Oblivion?

Last edited:

Erzherzog

Magister
Only played Thieves Guild so far.

Suffers from the oblivion-esque main faction questline where killing is the objective at the end of the day, but has some actual thievery missions handed out too, though they're entirely optional.

Doesn't seem like there will be any quest conflicts except for Imperial Legion/Stormcloaks, but I'm not certain how fleshed out those factions are.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I only encountered one Guild so far, the fighter's guild. One random quest I got there was to kill an animal in one of the city's houses. Flashback time :D

The story of the guild is railroaded. You do a random quest, than get a 'questline' quest.
I'm not through the questline completely but so far no interacting with other joinable Guilds happened.
There was a huge thing going on where I was expecting some C&C but it turned out that if I don't follow the intended questline, I can't actually advance in the Guild at all (I wasn't even given random quests anymore).

To explain in detail; Spoiler for the companion quest line:

When they ask you become a Werewolf they told me if I don't want to become a Werewolf I can't join the inner circle but they would be cool with me staying human.
After that I was looking to join the Silver Hand which isn't possible at all I think(not a joinable faction I guess and only Antagonists to the Companions?).
I also didn't receive any further quests from any of the Companions until I actually agreed and became a Werewolf.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Erzherzog said:

Suffers from the oblivion-esque main faction questline where killing is the objective at the end of the day, but has some actual thievery missions handed out too, though they're entirely optional.
What? In Oblivion the TG quests were all about stealing. Now they have killing? The fuck?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dicksmoker said:
So bros, I'm starting another Skyrim thread because there can never be too many.

476316.gif

7hm

Scholar
Dicksmoker said:
Erzherzog said:

What? In Oblivion the TG quests were all about stealing. Now they have killing? The fuck?

They seem to mostly be about stealing to me. Some killing but that doesn't seem to be the focus.

Nael

Arcane
While not technically a "guild" the Daedric quests so far are suitably distasteful. All three that I've done so far have had me double-cross someone who intended to stop the Daedra. While giving me the option is fun it does appear to be getting fairly predictable.

Luring, murdering, and then eating a hapless Priest of Arkay for the Ring of Namira was one of the more disturbing things I've done in an RPG of recent memory.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
When you find some quest disturbing and distastfull just don't do it, I already turned off number of quests which my PC with his attidute and character would never done. :smug:
One question bros, is there any Imperial Armour I can forge myself above the steel one? I don't know if to spend more points into blacksmithing... those can be used to improve my combat skills.

baronjohn

Cipher
The main College of Winterhold quest is retarded and the rewards are worthless (except the dragon priest mask). At the end you get the arch-mage robes, which are only a bit better than the generic adept robes and worse than the generic expert robes.

However there is a lulzy side quest where you recover the Keening, which is worthless but pretty cool, and you also get a pretty good summon.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Dicksmoker said:
Some examples of the killing quests? I don't care about spoilers.

The first bunch of quests haven't got any killing in them. There's a bunch of guards you're free to kill but you won't get any kudos for doing so. After that, you find out who your guilds "enemy" is. You go through a random, undead-infested tomb. The BIG SECRET PLOT TWIST happens, you get stabbed in the back. From then on it's all about revenge, dungeon-crawls and AWESOME backstab maneuvers.

The first half is sort-of decent. (Although they generally trust you with important shit way too early, same as fighters and mages guilds). The second half is kinda derpy, but you do get the vert best light armor in the game aside from improved glass armor or dragonscale. As well as access to a weapon you can use or disenchant for the AWESOME absorb health+stamina enchantment.

You also get to ogle a daedra lords tits and get access to one of 3 powers, one of which is a daily super-invisibility.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So in other words, the focus stops being on sneaking, stealing, and other thief shit and more about fighting halfway through? If true that fucking sucks. In Oblivion it all built up in scale to an awesome final mission testing your thief skills, at least if you played it the right way.

This is disapointing. The Thieve's Guild was my favorite questline in Oblivion. Granted it was designed poorly by allowing you to run in and grab whatever and then get your bounty taken off, and then later them allowing you to kill. I didn't play it that way though.

EDIT: So nudity is back, eh?

Data4

Arcane
Anyone done any Dark Brotherhood quests yet? My only contact with them has been a single assassin attack, Tribunal style. Do you still have to kill an innocent?

Enjoying the Dark Brotherhood currently, the main questline is much better than Oblivion's so far although the side contracts are your general 'go here, stab this guy'.

Nael said:
While not technically a "guild" the Daedric quests so far are suitably distasteful. All three that I've done so far have had me double-cross someone who intended to stop the Daedra. While giving me the option is fun it does appear to be getting fairly predictable.

Luring, murdering, and then eating a hapless Priest of Arkay for the Ring of Namira was one of the more disturbing things I've done in an RPG of recent memory.
How many Daedra shrines are there? Only done Azura's so far, pretty bland. How are the rewards?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Data4 said:
Anyone done any Dark Brotherhood quests yet? My only contact with them has been a single assassin attack, Tribunal style. Do you still have to kill an innocent?
You get attacked by assassins?

curry

Arcane
PWSteal.Ldpinch.D said:
Enjoying the Dark Brotherhood currently, the main questline is much better than Oblivion's so far although the side contracts are your general 'go here, stab this guy'.

Nael said:

How many Daedra shrines are there? Only done Azura's so far, pretty bland. How are the rewards?

They're all fucking tedious, just like all the dungeons.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
PWSteal.Ldpinch.D said:

Nael said:

I've found two shrines, for meridia and azura. You can get the molag bal quest from a house in markath. I also did the hermaeus mora one (it starts in a cave in the ice north of winterhold or wherever the college is) which was pretty cool since it involved exploring a dwemer ruin and included a huge underground cave. Molag bal just talks to you telepathically, there's no statue. Hermaeus Mora creates a purple vortex barring your way and forcing you to talk to it. All their voices so far are shit.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dicksmoker said:
Data4 said:

You get attacked by one assassin. In my case she got gangbanged by a bunch of wolves when charging at me. I just fireballed all of them. :M

Luzur

Good Sir
Dicksmoker said:
Data4 said:

happened to me too, in the wilderness outside Whiterun.

had a note about "the ritual has been made, %PCname% has been targeted and will die" and stuff.

couldnt loot the armor though.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Man, all I got jumped by were a bunch of bandits with a note saying they were sent by the orc that runs the library at the mages academy. I hadn't even gone to the academy yet. Wtf?

Also, I haven't done the dark brotherhood quests because, frankly, the setup to start the quest chain is ridiculous. Even by bethesda standards.

attackfighter

Magister
I've played through the mage guild and started the thief guild.

The mage guild was literally something out of Harry Potter, you never did anything near what a real guild might do, instead you find out you're The CHosen One and embark on a quest to save the world... again... so you're both the Chosen One for the dragon born order or whatever it's called, and also the Chosen One of the mages guild. Wonder if any other faction will declare me the Chosen One.

The Thief guild questline starts you off with an assignment that keeps in line with the premise of a thief guild, but afterwards you're sent off to do EPIC hollywood stunts like sneak into a compound, rob the safe of the compound and then burn it to hell. Totally EPIC!!!!

My thoughts on these guilds so far is that they're not actually guilds, but rather collections of fantasy stereotypes that the player can partake in.

Gord

Arcane
attackfighter said:
The Thief guild questline starts you off with an assignment that keeps in line with the premise of a thief guild, but afterwards you're sent off to do EPIC hollywood stunts like sneak into a compound, rob the safe of the compound and then burn it to hell. Totally EPIC!!!!

I've recently started to notice disturbingly low bars for calling something "epic" with some people.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I found Peryite's shrine someway north of Markarth. It has you dealing with cultists vomiting green goo in your face.

Peter

Arcane
Finished Dark Brotherhood. Shit compared to Oblivion. Much shorter, with only a couple 'proper' stealthy assassination missions, and they don't have interesting goals like making deaths look natural or like an accident, nor do most of them reward you with interesting loot for completing the quest in that certain way. As with the other guilds, too little guild-related gameplay, too much MAJESTIC moments and combat (and situations you can't sneak out of, so you just pay a fine for murder :retarded:)

There does seem to be one pretty major choice in the questline, but I don't know how it would've played out differently had I gone with the other of the two options.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom