Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars Ascensions

Shagnak

Shagadelic
So....I finally ascended my first character (R/Mes).
Theoretically I should have done it ages ago. After all, I was one of the earlier ones on this forum to start playing the game, but I haven't been playing the game very often of late and even totally left it for a bit.

Going from what others told me, it should have been a sinch. Warrior types boasting about just running up and hacking their "mirror" to bits within 15 seconds.
Well, I tried being tricky (poison, traps, mes hexes, etc) and it was always disastrous. Even the brute way didn't work (at least initially, see below) - for some reason the mirror's bow did 4 times as much damage as mine. Actually, I think only perhaps the skillset was mirrored, because he also had an uber axe that I didn't have and sure as hell wouldn't have been effective with if I tried. For some reason skills that should have given me 75% dodge did not, but the same skills seemed to work for him wonderfully.

So, in the end, I took the dull munchkin route. I equipped only marksman-related skills, got rid of anything else remotely useful (includng dodges and heals), and ran into HTH. The AI switched to his uber axe (which though good, only did a third the ridiculous damage his bow was doing), and I stood there point-blank pumping various types of skill-improved arrows into him.

His bar ran out a little bit before mine did, so - tadaah - I won. But I can't but feel a little hollow by the whole experience.

How did everyone else's ascension go?

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Well, it was - doing it the munchkin way I ended up doing it. No thought involved at all.
And the people I have heard (well, read) saying it was easy were warrior types who did essentially the same sort of thing.

Anyway, just interested to see how other people our guild got through it.
Did you do it the "dumb" way, or find an "intelligent" way?
Have you tried it more than once and found alternate ways of doing it with relative ease?
Share your strategies! :wink:

Surlent

Liturgist
First with my necro, it required few tries. I ended up using poison and plague touch. Mirror used straight poison on me and then we switched it back and forth to each other with plague touch until one of us died. I just put some extra damage with vile touch to get advantage.

Second with warrior, it was so damn easy. Mirror just kept using his bow while i went straight and just whacked it out. Third and fourth characters aren't there yet.

Lomer

Liturgist
I completed my first ascension yesterday. My fearless and powerful ranger has been disgracefully beaten by my “mirror” two times before it crossed my mind to use “Distracting Shot” in order to counter his attempt to blind me with “Throw Dirt” in the very beginning of the duel. Then I, in turn, blinded him and took an advantage which was easy to keep till the end of the fight relying entirely on “Power Shot”, “Apply Poison”, “Hunter’s Shot” and “Dual Shot”.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Took me awhile (e.g. 10-15 minutes) on multiple tries to succeed with my elementalist, because my mirror kicked the shit out of her. Took me 10 seconds with my mesmer, though. Backfire owned it.

Drakron

Arcane
I beat the mirror with crappy skills, I loaded with afinity skills and flare and beat it easy.

I am not ashamed, I replayed it with my usual skills and it wiped the floor with me.

The Ascension missions are "harder" that the mirror.

Human Shield

Augur
I was a mesmer and since my mirror would probably use hexes, I put hex breaker on first thing and then put backfire on the mirror (which didn't have hex breaker on), then I think I used energy burn or something, he just died instantly. My hex breaker didn't even go off, the retard just shot his bow and probably tried casting useless stuff like empathy on my non-attacking character.

Curois

Novice
I only have one character ascended, which is an Elementalist who uses fire spells. It was pretty easy. Before entering the fight I already cast Aura of Restoration and Fire Attunement on myself. So when I entered the fight buffed, my mirror still had to cast those. After that I used Meteor Shower and Firestorm and some flares and a fireball. Of course my mirror tried to firestorm me, but unlike my mirror I was so bright to move out of the area of effect :)

Psilon

Erudite
I ascended my first character back in July. I just took Frenzy and Dark Pact for the mirror to weaken himself, and then pounded the crap out of him (For Great Justice) using Power Attack, Sever Artery, and Galrath Slash. Warrior/Necromancers have it easy.

Also: Did anyone else try logging on last night? Was the midnight event at all interesting? The Halloween items were pretty lame, so I'm assuming not. On the bright side, it was a good way of selling off a lot of the tokens I had accumulated.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Psilon said:
Also: Did anyone else try logging on last night? Was the midnight event at all interesting? The Halloween items were pretty lame, so I'm assuming not. On the bright side, it was a good way of selling off a lot of the tokens I had accumulated.
No, it completely slipped my mind.

Mind you, I don't spend much time on the game these day. I left the Guild a while ago, stopped playing altogether for a stretch (well, two long stretches if you count the one mentioned above), then only logged in a few times a few weeks ago to check out the new free expansion.

It could be my imagination, but it seemed a bunch of those wanker types that proliferate on certain other MMORPGs have slowly become more pervasive. The early days were good times, very few wankers and lots of enthusiastic and cooperative people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom