Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Names - quick question

Astromarine

Erudite
My idea would be something veiled that euphemizes their trade. In fact, if you didn't go with the Commercium for the Merchant's guild, I would suggest that for your *assassins* guild. Just like, for example, in Discworld the Guild of Seamstresses doesn't *exactly* sow. :)

The idea would be that they view themselves as just that, merchants. Too bad your backstory is already written, it would be neat to even have them be a logical offshoot of the merchant guild. Still, if your idea is to have them possess a veneer of "honorable businessmen" it would make sense for them to have such an innocuous name to outsiders. It would make more sense to them than trying to sound "badass and mysterious". You know, just like those organizations in bad spy movies: "the Firm", "the Section", "Control", etc. In that case, it would "The Commercium", the traders. Exactly *what* they trade, you can wish you'll never have to find out.

etc.

Saran

Scholar
I suppose thats one way of looking at it, and it would probably work just as well, though the boatmen would kick arse as many others have said already.

Since its set in an alternate roman empire, is there any chance that you could name one of the factions "The peoples front of judea" ;)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Astromarine said:
Too bad your backstory is already written, it would be neat to even have them be a logical offshoot of the merchant guild.
The difference between the two is that the assassins are honest traders and the traders are ruthless assassins (they control the trade and can destroy an entire town by cutting it off the trade routes, etc)

Saran said:
So names like i dunno, the League of independant traders for the merchants
Wouldn't fit, see above

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Some random ideas for the assassins' guild: Collegium Invisibile, Invisibiles, The Vanishers, Vanishing Point.

Saran

Scholar
What are you looking for, in regards to the tone of the names, would you like the assassins to have a name that would indicate Honour and dedication, or more of a cryptic feel?

It appears as if your going for the greedy, manipulative types as far as traders are concerned, so something with a hint of malice would probably suit them fairly well.

Hmm, its fairly hard to think of something suitable, well, without it sounding corny, something along the lines of the consortium or combine would work, as others in the thread have already suggested, what is the main trade item in your game? Perhaps that would help.

One name for the Assassins guild that would sound fairly cryptic is the Watchers in the Dark, but thats a blatant rip off of WH40k IIRC, and perhaps it would be better suited to a spy faction or a group based upon the sale of information.

In fact now that i think of it, when it comes to the traders it might actually be better to just call them the Merchants Guild, after all, if they have that much power why bother with frivilous nicknames, yea, a governor might laugh when he hears that the Merchant Guild is out to get him, but when those decadent traders have starved half his province to death and the other half is in rebellion i doubt he'll be so cocky when the boring old Merchants Guild has him by the balls.

But if you still want an interesting name how does the Hands of Midas sound?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Saran said:
What are you looking for, in regards to the tone of the names, would you like the assassins to have a name that would indicate Honour and dedication, or more of a cryptic feel?
I like the Boatmen, they fit into the mythology well, and as far as honor and dedication are concerned that would be presented in the gameplay.

It appears as if your going for the greedy, manipulative types as far as traders are concerned, so something with a hint of malice would probably suit them fairly well.
I think that The Commercium is a good fit as well, as, like I said, it used to mean the right to trade, as in the legal right that could be granted or revoked, not just a fancy word for commerce. Again, all these things will be properly explained and presented to players.

Anyway, I will post a character screen later on today (I'm at work now), which will show all the stats, skills, and factions. Then you'd have a chance to tear it apart and suggest something else.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Why not give the asassin's guild a proper official name (e.g. mercatum mortu) and have another more down to earth alias/nick that most people use. Stuff like the deathdealers, the silent death etc?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom