Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Guido Henkel's Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore - CANCELLED

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
That artwork doesnt remind me in the least of the awesome 80's fantasy art. It's really just terrible crap drawn by his talentless wife.
Anyways, good luck on his new project.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck, forgot Guido had his own thread.

Butthurt interview: http://www.alienlion.com/guido-henkel-talks-torment/

AL: How personal is the story of the Nameless One to you? Do you get the urge to continue or add to the story via a novel or a game, perhaps?

HG: I thought it was a great story and it was the reason why I signed on to the project in the first place. I had a number of job offers on the table at that time, and decided on this one because of the unique nature of the game. Little did I know then that I would have so little influence over the actual development of the story. Had I known, I would probably have picked the job offered to me by another Irvine-based company instead. It still puzzles me to this day, why I was ultimately courted, when the company was not at all interested in my creative experience and skills.

Another Irvine-based company = Blizzard.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
WoodElfF.jpg

that's some deviant art level shit.

so he's making an uglier grimrock, but with deeper character attributes, while retaining the RT gameplay.
okay.

Koschey

Arcane
Henkel said:
There is something to be said about having the agility of a small team and the ability to rely on your team members on a personal level, when they’re not around merely to fulfill a job obligation or, what’s even worse, point out to you that a certain task is not part of their job description.
So much butthurt. Now it's even spilling over to his non-Torment-related stuff.

As it is, I'm not really sure what to make of it. A deep character system sounds promising. On the other hand, a lot of it could be lost on a RT-blobber, depending on pace and implementation and his focus on IMMERSHUN makes it sound as if he were attempting Oblivion as a grid-blobber. Just wait and see for now, I guess.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
WoodElfF.jpg

that's some deviant art level shit.

so he's making an uglier grimrock, but with deeper character attributes, while retaining the RT gameplay.
okay.
I know we were fucking around in that other thread about the Nazi rpg were we could play as a Nazi...but wtf is this shit? tell me thats not official artwork?

That Nazi rpg was actually sounding cool to me...:(

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Deathfire sounds birthcool.

Hey, fantasy-flavored imaginary compound words are super-creative!

Everbloom!
Darkthorn!
Iceshroud!
Wolfmane!
Flamereaver!
Vinelash!
Windwing!
Silvermoon!
Sunguard!
Starfire!
Voidgleam!
Hawk....

Hang on, writer's block.

Stabwound

Arcane
Everbloom!
Darkthorn!
Iceshroud!
Wolfmane!
Flamereaver!
Vinelash!
Windwing!
Silvermoon!
Sunguard!
Starfire!
Voidgleam!
Hawk....

Hang on, writer's block.
Looks like a list of Diablo 3 rare items.

I'm not terribly excited about this game, but Grimrock was cool and it doesn't seem like this is going to be on kickstarter, so we'll see.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
doesn't seem like this is going to be on kickstarter, so we'll see.
if they reach prototype stage, they would be stupid not to do at least a small $10k campaign or something.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
What I think will be good about this game:
- Focus on story
- Deep character system and stat checks
- Step-based engine

What will (probably) ruin this game:
- real-time combat
- not an open-world

So it will be something like Grimrock with a story... Who knows, it may actually be fun. At least, it sounds like Henkel is really into it.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
I don't think that not having an open world will necessarily ruin this game. If he had to develop a heavily story-based game in an open world, he might never complete it.

If there was one thing that I really missed in Grimrock was NPCs and more focus on the lore and story. So for me this is a game I'm really looking forward to.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
AL: A Jason Dark video game series… how about it?
GH: I’ve spent quite some time thinking about my Jason Dark property, actually, and a good number of people have suggested that I’d make a game. However, despite the fact that I have written and published eleven books in the series at this time, I do not get the sense that there would be enough of a gaming fan base that would make that a worth-while endeavor.
Haven't read any of his books, but an "occult detective" rpg sounds like 100x times more interesting than another generic fantasy grindy crap.
I don't really get why he thinks the book series should be more widely known for the game to be successfull, why can't it be the other way around? Make a good game, the jenre is yearning for original settings - i.e. The Witcher was virtually unknown outside of Russia and Poland, and now its one of the best rpg series, the books sell better too I bet. It would have much better chances to become a success and get more publicity than some dullrock clone, imho.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Don't know if anybody mentioned it, but he also sent out a Kickstarter update to Thorvalla backers yesterday, pointing them to his Deathfire post...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom