Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Guido Henkel is back with a new game - Deathfire

jewboy

Arbiter
I think his concept was a bit too ambitious and a bit too out there. For his first kickstarter game I think he should do something a bit more traditional. He doesn't need to reinvent anything. The cards were definitely a mistake. I didn't back the project because of stuff like the cards and IIRC his small team. Next time he should get a few more people: some artists and programmers with impressive resumes. Or he should just plan on doing something like ITS is doing with AoD. Vince is getting his game made and without a million dollars.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
"First-person 3D RPG" is the most vague bullshit ever, if he's trying to generate excitement he should perhaps tell us what the hell to get excited about.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not like this blog post has given us any other info that the game exists and it's FP. Presumably the hype is yet to begin (or, given the abysmal effort in the KS campaign, this was it).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm pretty much set with games to play for the next few years, but I would support this if I felt it will be something exceptional.
Sadly, I don't feel that at all.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
First I've heard of Interplay dramas. I thought they were one big happy family, except for Herve.
Tim Cain and his buddies left Interplay because Tim kept having to go to Fargo to overrule the micromanaging producers on Fallout 2. Guido had to be the bad guy a lot on Torment and it burned him out enough to make him quit. Have a bad google-translated interview
http://www.dsa-game.de/content/view/221
Another reason is that you as a producer is not exactly popular. Ultimately, this is the job in which you all day does nothing other than the team to look over his shoulder to make sure that they are working diligently, that the schedule is maintained that there is no feature creep creeps that the budget is not covered and so on. Also, I was in the position the person who had to fire team members, if they have not "work", who had to tell the boys that they get a raise, and so on. Producer is a dirty job and to "Planescape" I swore I would never do that again, but ultimately it is the reason why I am on Team often hushed up, because I was recognized as a producer of them never as creative member, although in the Game Code of puts me, the ideas I contributed part of my design, and so on. But I can easily live with, especially since I know that my influence was far more extensive than that of a Chris Avellone, Eric Campanella or Dave Maldonado.
Chris and Colin, they were as good as a designer, had a couple of extremely weak. They were, unfortunately, extremely disorganized and slow. The consequence was that more content was planned as it has finally made it into the game. At a certain point I had to start turning the screws and make that clear, that the game will be finished by a certain date had to, even if it meant that several changes had to be made, such as the removal of various subplots, and so on. I did not, of course, enjoy working, but I have just the Interplay management then get very intense pressure, which ultimately led to my departure. My goal was to ensure that the game will not be slashed and maimed totally pointless is just because Interplay wanted to keep a delivery date and billing quarter. Therefore, I have fought to the beta and then submitted my resignation.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
11 months to make PS:T doesn't sound that "disorganized and slow" to me.

But hey, German efficiency.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He was referring to how they had planned much more content than what they could actually do within 11 months.

First I've heard of Interplay dramas. I thought they were one big happy family, except for Herve.
Tim Cain and his buddies left Interplay because Tim kept having to go to Fargo to overrule the micromanaging producers on Fallout 2. Guido had to be the bad guy a lot on Torment and it burned him out enough to make him quit. Have a bad google-translated interview
http://www.dsa-game.de/content/view/221
Chris and Colin, they were as good as a designer, had a couple of extremely weak. They were, unfortunately, extremely disorganized and slow.
Will CMcC let this slight stand?

Give us your perspective @_@

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah CMcC, Henkel totally dissed you and MCA in that interview. Give us your view on the whole thing, either here or in the PS:T retrospective thingie you're doing.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I don't know what to think of him, he gave up on Thorvalla too easily, and now he comes up with something completely new / different, and again nothing to show at all. The 900,000$ attempt was a deserved fail, as so many other kickstarters have showed us, but a better prepared pitch could have succeeded. So many people were still on the fence, I even pledged for Thorvalla out of pure compassion. Seems like he doesn't really know what he wants to do, just wants to do anything (financial / job problems?).

zeitgeist

Magister
I don't know what to think of him, he gave up on Thorvalla too easily, and now he comes up with something completely new / different, and again nothing to show at all.
I have a feeling he somehow thinks that the fault of the first one was mostly (or entirely) in the concept, not the poor presentation. Although I do remember posts in the Kickstarter comments that were pretty clear about the issues, so it's a rather weird thing to conclude from that project's failure. And yeah, this does appear to be just throwing concepts against the wall and trying to see which one sticks. It's quite perplexing.

Oh well, still hoping for a RoA with more everything.

Stabwound

Arcane
There is a lot of questionable shit here already, but it sounds like they're working on the game already instead of the Thorvalla approach where they kind of just said "here's our idea" and had nothing to show for it.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He seems like a bit of a douche, but whatever. Gimme a great concept/game and I'll pledge/buy it.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I actually (badly) want a M&M successor kickstarter, so first-person is not a problem for me. I haven't played any for quite a long time though, might just be nostalgia talking :oops:

I think Grimoire is actually more like M&M than Wizardry in some ways.

Dorateen

Arcane
I actually (badly) want a M&M successor kickstarter, so first-person is not a problem for me. I haven't played any for quite a long time though, might just be nostalgia talking :oops:

I think Grimoire is actually more like M&M than Wizardry in some ways.

Grimoire looks and plays like Wizardry 7, with some modifications, which is fantastic. But, hey, both franchises are pillars of cRPG history, so I guess whatever resemblance you wish find is there.

On that note, Realms of Arkania is a classic series as well. Henkel should stick with a similar blueprint.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom