Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GTA4 PC is out

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Solid writing, solid city design and nice characters. Also, no timed missions! Thank fuck for that!

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Okay, okay. Apologies. I hate timed missions on any kind of game, okay? I always have and I always will. There's something that turns the whole thing into work for me. Now, I know people who love a ticking clock looming over them. They seem to thrive in that kind of scenario, I personally go to pieces and lose it.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Timed missions in GTA games almost always sucked and aren't fun. Remember the Supply Lines mission in San Andreas?
Vice City have great music, an all-star cast and introduced motorcycles and the ability to change clothes. And that's at least two things GTA4 owe it to VC.
I hate VC just because of the amount of bullshit I went through with it. Walking off of a short step sometimes causing 10 points of damage, guns sometimes not even shooting while you're getting your ass blasted off, and being shot through wallsl. Really brought the gameplay down for me.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Barrow_Bug said:
Okay, okay. Apologies. I hate timed missions on any kind of game, okay? I always have and I always will. There's something that turns the whole thing into work for me. Now, I know people who love a ticking clock looming over them. They seem to thrive in that kind of scenario, I personally go to pieces and lose it.
Fair enough.
@Fat Dragon - Yeah. It annoyed me the first 4 or 5 tries. Then I learned how to pilot the RC plane and did it flawlessly. Btw, do you remember Sir, Yes Sir! in VC?

MetalCraze

Arcane
VonVentrue said:
the game hasn't been optimized at all.

Here fixed it for ya.
Rockstar are either a bunch of lazy wankers or they should fire their programmers, because seriously - if even Gamespot complains that the game lags on their rigs...

Well guess it will be another reason to buy XBox360 - a console of 2005 where GTA4 doesn't lag because apparently even top PCs of 2008 are shit compared to almighty details of 2004-2005 of Xbawks. Right?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Look, Skyway's whining about how shitty a game is programmed that he hasn't even played yet. What a surprise. Next up he'll tell us all the reasons why the game itself is stupid shit, again without having it played at all. Skyway's special like that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Except I've read comments from the ones who've played and reviews and every single one of them states that the port is incredibly shitty. No really? - average framerate is 20 fps on dual core with 8800 gts 768 mb? Give me a break.
Plus Bully port kinda proves my point that Rockstar can't code for shit. A game from PS2 with shitty graphics puts down on knees multi-core systems with relatively modern vcards? That's some achievement.
But GTA4 puts down even systems that run Crysis (which of course looks worse than GTA4) without any problems down on their knees too? That's just bizarre. Crytek should take notes.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Bully's performance differs a lot from system to system but most report a lot of crashes and bugs. I suffered major memory leaks trying to play it on anything higher than 800x600 but with AA thankfully turned on. It doesn't look any worse than the higher resolutions. Now, if only I could stop it from crashing every fucking half hour... :roll:

I don't know how GTA4 will handle, but at least it should be higher up on the give a damn-list than Bully.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
!440xsomething and with aa set on two with a 3.4 ghz single core pentium D, 2 gigs of ram and a nvidia 8600. I didn't say it was a cheap 3 year old pc. ;) I also think that it might run better on single core pc's than on multi cores since I never had any problems with it what so ever.

Anyway Skyway, it just looks rather idiotic to complain, moan and bitch like there's no tomorrow about games that you've never even played before nor will. Where does the urge to do just that come from?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Trash said:
!440xsomething and with aa set on two with a 3.4 ghz single core pentium D, 2 gigs of ram and a nvidia 8600. I didn't say it was a cheap 3 year old pc. ;)
Yeah it is an average PC of 2006 more like, not 3 years old.
But Bully performed like shit on quite a number of systems I've seen it running on (it is a PS2 game goddamnit - it shouldn't lag anywhere at all; PS2 is a console of 2000 ffs). Thankfully I didn't care about it much.

It just looks rather idiotic to complain, moan and bitch like there's no tomorrow about games that you've never even played before nor will. Where does the urge to do just that come from?
From the desire to PLAY GTA4? And not watch how it lags. Seriously just check its sys reqs - and people complain that recommended requirements are more like minimum ones. Considering that GTA4 has outdated graphics even for 2005, the year when XBawks wasn't outdated itself yet.

It is also quite ironic that ATI users suffer the most because GTA4 was originally made and optimized for old X1800 of XBox360.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
I preorded this one a couple of months ago. Rockstar's games are masterpieces and their PC ports are excellent.

Edit: San Andreas was a little boring at times but it was still great.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Not sure I'll get this one, I remember the disapointment I felt after I got SA as the filler content bored me to death (or almost); quite the contrast after VC. I heard, here and there, that GTA4 avoids some of this but still has some content of the sort so I'm not sure... If you throw in the optimization problems reported, I really feel like giving it a miss.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
skyway said:
Except I've read comments from the ones who've played and reviews and every single one of them states that the port is incredibly shitty. No really? - average framerate is 20 fps on dual core with 8800 gts 768 mb? Give me a break.
Plus Bully port kinda proves my point that Rockstar can't code for shit. A game from PS2 with shitty graphics puts down on knees multi-core systems with relatively modern vcards? That's some achievement.
But GTA4 puts down even systems that run Crysis (which of course looks worse than GTA4) without any problems down on their knees too? That's just bizarre. Crytek should take notes.

Apparently the lowest of low settings are equal to the 360 settings and the game thinks that your computer was built two years later than it was.

From everything I've read, turning down the graphics fixes this.

ever

Scholar
should work fine on my quadcore with dual 4850s and 8gigs of ram

Silellak

Cipher
skyway said:
But Bully performed like shit on quite a number of systems I've seen it running on (it is a PS2 game goddamnit - it shouldn't lag anywhere at all; PS2 is a console of 2000 ffs). Thankfully I didn't care about it much.

Something was definitely up with the Bully ports in general. The 360 version also had framerate drops, which, considering its PS2 origins, is absurd.

Raising the game resolution to 720p should not cause a PS2 game to have framerate drops on the 360 unless there is some poor/lazy coding going on.

racofer

Thread Incliner
ever said:
should work fine on my quadcore with dual 4850s and 8gigs of ram

No, it won't. Check gtaforums.com and witness the nightmare of console ports.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom