Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Grinding in JRPGs

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You absolutely don't need to grind in dark souls and there aren't even a lot of trash mobs either :>
Well, Dark Souls is not a JRPG.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Problem is people tend to have two very different definitions of 'grinding'.

1. (IMO the correct usage) - refers to completing optional tasks numerous times solely acquire some kind of metric. For example, intentionally doing random battles in order to level up.
2. The usage I'm guessing OP here is referring to - Repetitive gameplay. In this case, the battles in jRPGs.

The issue with the second definition is that you could apply that to virtually any game/genre that has you doing the same thing numerous times.

Anyway - going by the first definition, a lot of jRPGs dont actually need any grinding. Usually just following the course of the game will result in enough levels/power to beat the bosses, unless you are bad at strategy. There are obviously some exceptions though.

trym88

Scholar
It's an aRPG made by a japanese company, did I miss something?
I mean the JRPG as a genre. You know like FF, Tales Of..., Star Ocean, Lunar, Grandia etc

I'm not exactly sure what u mean but just because of the fact that dark souls doesn't look like final fantasy doesn't mean that it's not a JRPG anymore I guess? Why is it in the JRPG codex sub-forum then ?

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Problem is people tend to have two very different definitions of 'grinding'.

1. (IMO the correct usage) - refers to completing optional tasks numerous times solely acquire some kind of metric. For example, intentionally doing random battles in order to level up.
2. The usage I'm guessing OP here is referring to - Repetitive gameplay. In this case, the battles in jRPGs.

The issue with the second definition is that you could apply that to virtually any game/genre that has you doing the same thing numerous times.

Anyway - going by the first definition, a lot of jRPGs dont actually need any grinding. Usually just following the course of the game will result in enough levels/power to beat the bosses, unless you are bad at strategy. There are obviously some exceptions though.
yeah, you are probably right about me referring to #2, I do not like filler combat and, for example, in FFVII random encounters were inevitable cause you just can't see your opponents on the map.

It's an aRPG made by a japanese company, did I miss something?
I mean the JRPG as a genre. You know like FF, Tales Of..., Star Ocean, Lunar, Grandia etc

I'm not exactly sure what u mean but just because of the fact that dark souls doesn't look like final fantasy doesn't mean that it's not a JRPG anymore I guess? Why is it in the JRPG codex sub-forum then ?
It's not only a JRPG sub-forum, if you look closely you can find threads about Visual Novels and all kinds of other non-RPG Japanese games.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Well, Dark Souls is not a JRPG.
What is a jRPG? DISCUSS!!
5RiaElQ.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom