Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
there is an issue with the scrolling options. default walk is ultrasmooth while default turn is single frame, but with this setting it still is ultrasmooth when you turn.. if you put walk to single step, then turning is single step.. so either the 2nd option (the one specifically for turning) doesn't work or shit's screwed up in general

Cleveland Mark Blakemore pls fix in weekly patch #1

Zenyrrah

Augur
Patron
I was wondering. What happened to the list of e-mailaddresses of the backers you had in May 2014? Isn't this one usable for sending out the Steam-keys?

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm still torn between playing this or actually looking into wizardry 6.
Missing manual is kind of a dealbreaker for me at the moment.
Playing Wizardry VI before Grimoire is a good idea. You get where Cleve was coming from (from what I have seen, Grimoire is closer in both style and design to W6 than it is to W7), it is not terribly long, and it is one of the great classic CRPGs. When you come back to Grimoire, you will find the experience even more rewarding.

Just one note of caution - W6 is way more unforgiving at the beginning than Grimoire. It has a notoriously steep difficulty curve; the moment you step through the castle gates, you are in deep water.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Zep, is there a way to hack in and change the portraits somehow? I know alot of people are requesting it and Cleve will probably add it at some point but im just curious if theres a way to just unpack and change the file or something and avoid having to wait.

I love the game but I pretty much dislike the avatars with all of my soul and some of them make me want to punch the monitor.

Themadcow

Augur
I'm still torn between playing this or actually looking into wizardry 6.
Missing manual is kind of a dealbreaker for me at the moment.
Playing Wizardry VI before Grimoire is a good idea. You get where Cleve was coming from (from what I have seen, Grimoire is closer in both style and design to W6 than it is to W7), it is not terribly long, and it is one of the great classic CRPGs. When you come back to Grimoire, you will find the experience even more rewarding.

Just one note of caution - W6 is way more unforgiving at the beginning than Grimoire. It has a notoriously steep difficulty curve; the moment you step through the castle gates, you are in deep water.

Having 2 or 3 Dracon make the start of Bane muuch easier.

jfunk

Augur
Am I the only one that got a Metalsmith with just a shield and no weapon to start? He's becoming quite talented at hand to hand combat.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I don't see myself playing this any time soon.

- The party size is too damn high. Which wouldn't be a problem, except...
- The interface is SHIT. Aesthetic differences aside, it's unintuitive as hell. The first rule of computer videogames is: you press Esc and you get options to leave the game. In Grimoire, pressing Esc does nothing. I get it that Cleve went for the "retro" type of videogame... but you have to be clinically retarded to think this crap is a good excuse in 2017. Character screens are a mess (look at Age of Decadence for interface done right), there are tons of small buttons everywhere... What's funny is that the same people defending this in the following comments are probably the same people who claim Skyrim had a shit UI. Sure it did, but it got the job done rather well.

That said, I'm glad you decided to make the "zoom in when moving" effect completely optional. It was annoying and I'm glad people are able to turn it off.

EDIT: Why am I not surprised Grimbabbies don't reply?

Last edited:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Zep, is there a way to hack in and change the portraits somehow? I know alot of people are requesting it and Cleve will probably add it at some point but im just curious if theres a way to just unpack and change the file or something and avoid having to wait.

I love the game but I pretty much dislike the avatars with all of my soul and some of them make me want to punch the monitor.

I did start to delve into the bitmaps and such, but I got bored with that. I think (well, i'm sure) it would require unpacking and repacking the Bundle file...and I honestly didn't want to get that deep into it.

Zep--

bataille

Arcane
Now that's one ugly dog.

jh_.hu_lui.jpg

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
How sad. After their steam review manipulation campaign failed they are trying to give Grimoire a bad rating on Metacritic (this review site is used by consumers to decide if they should consume media) by stuffing the user reviews with negative reviews!

Look for yourself.

PrettyDeadman

How sad. After their steam review manipulation campaign failed they are trying to give Grimoire a bad rating on Metacritic (this review site is used by consumers to decide if they should consume media) by stuffing the user reviews with negative reviews!

Look for yourself.
What are you talking about? There are 5 review at metacritic right now: three 10s, one 9 and one 0.

bataille

Arcane
COULD IT BE?! Our heroes were this close to determining the true nature of the beast! Thankfully, after an exhausting brainstorm, our devoted and wise scientist managed to discern its genus.

ui._lkyu7.jpg

Themadcow

Augur

Look for yourself.

Bwahaha. Reviews look legit tbh.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
The forces of decline are not giving up it seems. Story about Cleve is on the front page of Yahoo. Of course it only talks about the negative reviews he was getting in the first couple hours.
https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2017/...t-video-game-releases-scathing-steam-reviews/
Looking at the site and the writer of this piece, I'm sure there is no agenda at all.
Clickbait cancer can't hurt excellence. Grimoire will find its small but loyal audience, and there is very little the declinemongers can do about it.

Biggus

Scholar
I don't see myself playing this any time soon.

- The party size is too damn high. Which wouldn't be a problem, except...
- The interface is SHIT. Aesthetic differences aside, it's unintuitive as hell. The first rule of computer videogames is: you press Esc and you get options to leave the game. In Grimoire, pressing Esc does nothing. I get it that Cleve went for the "retro" type of videogame... but you have to be clinically retarded to think this crap is a good excuse in 2017. Character screens are a mess (look at Age of Decadence for interface done right), there are tons of small buttons everywhere... What's funny is that the same people defending this in the following comments are probably the same people who claim Skyrim had a shit UI. Sure it did, but it got the job done rather well.

That said, I'm glad you decided to make the "zoom in when moving" effect completely optional. It was annoying and I'm glad people are able to turn it off.

Esc does do something, just not very much :(

Party size aside...

I was a Grimoire beta tester in the very early days of this. I wasn't one for very long, because of the interface issues. I think the last words Cleve and I had (an amicable parting it was) went along the lines that "I wasn't suited" to the game. We parted ways.
What he meant was that he wasn't prepared to listen to construcive criticism. :) It wasn't as if these were radical new fangled ideas. FFS, how hard is it to make Esc = click on EXIT button?
In the early days of RPGs (Bard's Tale, MMI and such) interface issues almost didn't exist, I guess partly because there were no standards, and partly because the mouse was almost an afterthought.
A decade later though, I didn't get why these things weren't in the game from day 1, and frankly I am astounded that these same 'features' haven't been addressed. It isn't as if I am the first one to mention them. :)
Forget Monthy Python taking him to task, think of all the future RSI and carpal tunnel cases this clickfest will cause.

Forget no excuses in the 2017s, there were none in the 90s. A poorly designed interface is a poorly designed interface (think Elminage). Get past this, and you most likely have an amazing game. I wasn't able to get past it back then, (probably because there were so many alternatives) and now... I dunno, I might be able to :) It is such a freaking pity that a true gem may be hidden underneath an interface that will turn even fans of the genre off, and not let potential new fans to enjoy it. :(

Esc should exit whatever screen you are on.
Scroll bars should scroll windows, without needing to click on a freaking arrow.
Can't remember if mouses had scroll wheels back then, but today... they do.

Anyway, onya Cleve, I hope it is onwards and upwards for you and your game. :)

Lord Andre

Arcane
Why can't my vampyr be a necromancer, when it is suggested as a career?

Much like in Wizardry, classes have stat requisites. After you level and raise them you might be able to take that class. Otherwise try to roll a real high bonus.

Unfortunately as we lack the manual we have fragmentary knowledge of the requisites for classes and the racial bonuses.
Is there somewhere I can see those requisites?

try the local hint thread

Hannaaa

Literate
Cleve, please make backer keys priority number one. After having paid for Grimoire over four years ago, it would be nice to be able to play the game. Thank you in advance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom