Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

bataille

Arcane
Edit: not a bug at all! I was just confused.

Weasel
Must be a strange feeling for Shams after all these years

0BnhoA8.png

mogwaimon

Magister
Clueless Curation
"Grimoire is the perfect RPG for people who like being talked down to by a racist lunatic who believes neanderthals created a secret utopian civilization and took 20 years to make a mediocre game."

ico_curator_dn.png
Not Recommended 6 August

This motherfucker is seriously clueless.

I was agreeing with him until the mediocre bit.

Got an idea to check out this curator's admin profile. I knew what I'm going to find out.
Over 1k hours in Fallout 4, 600+ in Skyrim.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Zaayl/games/?tab=all

You can't judge him on his Skyrim hours man, I've got a hundred hours on my account but most of that was Loverslab and tinkering with CK. 1k hours in FO4 does suggest some terrible taste though.

Codex seems to be a bunch of savages sometimes but almost everyone here truly loves RPGs their own way, and care for them, knowing it's an endangered niche. The positive reaction to Grimoire is not surprising, considering after 8 hours in I can already say the game is amazing. If it had been shit, we'd continue bashing Cleve and memeing. On the other hand, the other forums discussing grimoire (including Steam discussions) are often regarded as "nicer" people, but they don't care about RPGs at all, and are just bitching about politics, racism, high price, shitty UI, graphics, etc. They can't see the forest, only the trees.

cRPG players are used to a certain amount of jankiness with their games though. Half the games in the top 70 are either old as shit and likely required fiddling around with ESRAM settings and other archaic DOS bullshit back in the day or were bug-riddled messes on launch that were salvaged by patches. In some cases, these patches were coded by fans who could see the diamond beneath all the coal.

Grimoire is bugged to shit right now but the framework is there for an amazing game once all the pico-issues get squashed. I'll just wait and play one of the other dozens of RPGs I haven't touched yet while I wait for Cleve to polish it up.

Danthar

Novice
Grimoire is bugged to shit right now but the framework is there for an amazing game once all the pico-issues get squashed. I'll just wait and play one of the other dozens of RPGs I haven't touched yet while I wait for Cleve to polish it up.

Realistically though, as much as I love the game and admire the guy for having stuck with it, that's exactly what everyone has forcibly been doing the last 20 years. What makes you think the smashing of pico-issues will suddenly go faster now?

I mean, I really really hope you're right, but it seems based on wishful thinking.

Well, maybe he took like 3 months off from work and that allows him to speed up or so, we can hope.

Or, if he allows beta-testers and community support that might increase the process.

Let's hope :)

Wait, what changed on UI in the latest edition?
Inventory lost 2 spaces, there are now 4 scroll arrows.
I am not happy with it, I also suggested right click to scroll faster, like someone above here, only I did that on the steam forums.

Sratopotator

Savant
Cleve, meet Twitch streamers (assuming this was Cleve)

Kyosho
15m

On the actual subject of this thread: I’ve avoided Cleve and his weirdness/insanity for years because I am legitimately interested in Grimoire itself. I know he’s an asshole, but I’ve distanced myself from it because I don’t care. It’s like people who suddenly hated Ender’s Game after they found out about Orson Scott Card’s political views. To me, that’s kind of silly. but I suppose I get it. For me though, I’m more interested in the work itself. Hitler made some beautiful paintings. Sure, he was basically the worst human being to ever exist, but he had some real skill. Heh. I can separate the artist from the art. Maybe I’m weird.

However, I was unable to ignore Cleve when he showed up in the chat of one of my favorite streamers and basically called him a bi-polar idiot who couldn’t pay attention. Which wasn’t at all true, and the stuff Cleve was trying to get him to do, Tom had already done and was trying to find something else entirely. Cleve had jumped into a stream he’d clearly not been watching, made incorrect assumptions and just… was a complete ass. Tom was really enjoying the game, too. Giving it the benefit of the doubt, not shitting on it at all, even with the bugs he was running into. He was praising the hell out of it, really. He’s really into this game genre, and so far he was really into it.

Here’s a link to the time index of the video8
. Watch the chat on the left. Cleve is “texasarcane.” Also, when Tom removes the chat from the screen, watch the chat replay on the right to see the rest of Cleve’s comments (and Tom’s last response to him). Tom didn’t know it was actually Cleve at the time, and talks about it at the beginning of his next stream of the game. He’s kind of upset by it, justifiably so. You can see that here.3 It kind of ruined his attitude toward the game and Cleve as well. Which is unfortunate, because before that he wasn’t shitting on the game AT ALL, even when it might’ve deserved it. But now he kind of does. Oh well.

This was Cleve all right.
I was watching the stream few days ago and he (texasarcane) commented on the video a lot. Besides the usual craziness, he was surprisingly cool most of the time, at one moment he said that he the streamer is great and a 'pro'. He even said that he is taking notes "constantly" from the video.

It's funny as fuck that Cleve now calls retrogadetom some names. (it's certainly cleve-like attitude, i don't think it's possible to emulate Cleve that well - you would have to be more crazy than him - and that's physically not possible. The language, wording and so on, are almost certainly his.)

He had in-depth knowledge of the game, as well as Cleveology. Like: "to accurately see the name of the enemy you can use super-identify spell before combat, the mythology skill is for in-combat use". And a lot of stuff on the saps mothers, mild halucinogens, "good boys", "bad boys", IQs and the usual.
The stuff that i'm talking about starts around 3h mark, some funny stuff between 3:30 and 4h mark [of part 2 of the video]. He wrote a lot more comments before and after.
It's him. ITZ HIM!

Sinatar

Arbiter
Of all the inventory systems to mimic, why the fuck did Cleve settle on "Lands of Lore", one of the worst inventory management games of all time.

youhomofo

Augur
Well fuck. My saves are all corrupt. Apparently Cleve fucked all the saved games up with his latest update.

Makes me nervous. Do I revert Grimoire to a version that is still compatible with my saves or do I reroll? If I keep playing does that mean my current save will never be compatible with future updates? Or if I reroll, does that mean the same fucking thing will happen 200 hours in?

Weasel
Well fuck. My saves are all corrupt. Apparently Cleve fucked all the saved games up with his latest update.

Makes me nervous. Do I revert Grimoire to a version that is still compatible with my saves or do I reroll? If I keep playing does that mean my current save will never be compatible with future updates? Or if I reroll, does that mean the same fucking thing will happen 200 hours in?

Check this post of his too..
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?posts/5242821/

Covenant

Savant
Of all the inventory systems to mimic, why the fuck did Cleve settle on "Lands of Lore", one of the worst inventory management games of all time.

I mean, I get wanting to avoid the annoyance in earlier blobbers where half of each characters' inventory is taken up purely by what they can wear and you have to throw away half the shit you get after every combat, but yeah. I have enough traumatic memories of frantically scrolling through the same pages of inventory over and over while looking for the green skull thing - that for some reason is the only thing to damage the giant slug monster chasing me through the goddamn mine level - that a Lands of Lore inspired inventory system wouldn't be my first choice.

Sherry

Arcane

Hi !

okay wtf is with that name or something really? Really?? whatever!!

but I have the same problem as you so do not think it is your computer giving you false malware reports it has nothing to do with that but everything to do with the latest update that all of my own save games are useless and I am unable to continue my adventure with tiny sherry and little rosey after 7 hours!!! the other post linked about the developer fixing this issue was over SEVEN HOURS ago!!! wtf right?

I am not restarting after all the struggles I had to go through to get through all the areas and beating ghosts and a mummy too but I hope the update does add more items in the store like there is only 1 suit of armor to buy and no arrows anywhere except for the one bundle you can buy. don't waste points in arrows!!!

Thanks,
Sherry

Jason Liang

Arcane
Not to bash Cleve, but you guys remember the release delay last time was he was working on the savegame architecture so that version updates would not make saves imcompatible right?

jfunk

Augur
No doubt Cleve's going to lose a LOT of people with the broken saves issue. Hopefully this will get him to actually start doing some real testing, perhaps through the beta branch, before pushing this stuff out. 1207 seems alright to me (I started a new party because that was going to happen anyway). A bit harder than 1201 because it seems slightly tougher enemies are spawning in random fights. But really, 1201 was in decent enough shape that he should have been more cautious pushing out updates. Both of the last 2 have been game breakers (1205 you can't start new parties in because it breaks set encounters, 1207 you can't continue old games in).

Anyway, the game is still brilliant. Not sure if those that think it's delusional to say so are just trolling or are actually unable to see how great it plays and the quality of the content. If this was just another game in a sea of modern titles, sure I wouldn't pay it any attention because it's too much work to deal with the bugs. But it isn't, it's the best cRPG since Crusaders and it's not even close. It may turn out to better once I see more. There's nothing else to turn to if I put Grimoire away, there are no other options. The ones people constantly list as alternative just make me wonder if they're mentally damaged. Technically being a blobber isn't enough, it's hard to see how people can't perceive the difference between Wizardry 6/7, Grimoire, and those titles. You basically have to ignore 75% of the product to get to there.

Anyway, I'm just working my way through Aquavia for the 5th time, and it's still loads of fun.

Sherry

Arcane
Save games are not corrupted, they just won't load, Cleve is hacking something together to get them working apparently.

Hi.

gosh that is like my friend I helped moved in during the Deadfire countdown if you missed it it was a lot of fun as many of us from Codex hooked up, drank and joined in on the party we may have met but did not know it. Anyhow the management never booked the elevator for my friend or got the loading dock doors opened and it was a big hassle and we had to use the only eleveator in service to go up to the floor. So just recently I learned from my friend all of the storage spots folks paid for on the 2nd floor underground parking garage got broken into but people living there were not sure how and probably just an inside job.

To get down there you need a keycard which means to have one you live in the building right? But get this okay"? from the first level to the second level there is a door again with a keycard. Next to this door is a HANDICAP button to OPEN the door right? So you can just press that and unlock the door and get inside without needing a keycard so all the person did was wait for a car to enter the underground parking and go to the door and press the button to get to the area all of the storage spaces are and snapped locks with a crowbar and stole.

That is exactly what is happening here with Grimoire. We paid two weeks worth of pop tarts for the kids to play this game and some guy presses the update button and we're all screwed and it has been SEVEN HOURS since this guy posted about fixing it on Steam. Probably has me on ignore from the smell my finger episode but this is not just me now it is everyone with this issue.

I did not think I would like the game but after figuring a few things out I started to like playing the game while having morning coffee and just explore. Been reading on some other games like it and lots of posts here point to might and magic 6 for similar game play.

jfunk hey there! :) gosh that aquavia sounds like a name for skin cream but how about drowning? did you drown your first time there before you found the button or maybe you put points into swimming? It is a fun little dungeon romp when you get going though. for me I still have to find a way into the Black Lich doors and the Saint George place I think it is called and before all these problems this morning I cleared out the ghosts in the Spirit Mines.

Thanks,
Sherry

mondblut

Arcane
*sigh* can we keep the broken walls and the Lalain Falls cell in the Sanctuary, or whatever causes save incompatibility, and just get hotfixes for perk/locksmith/common gate key crashes and "animpack" crashes when fighting ?WORMS? (the huge ugly Dune-like ones, not the tiny white ones or medium hand-drawn Dune-like ones)? Pretty please? I'd happily stay at 1201 if only those crashes could be fixed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom