Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I suppose it's a good thing that we don't actually know what CON does. Or has new information surfaced?

I honestly don't think that the crackerjack coder knows. Might explain why the manual doesn't exist. I am not saying he didn't know at some time, or have some plan for whatever at the get go, but along the way, given the other 'design' choices we have seen, you'd have to wonder if he actually understands himself how it works, and even if he does, is he actually capable of implementing the ideas (without breaking everything else).

Guy, I would bet you are good at everything. I can sense it. Everything is effortless in your perfect world of effortless perfection at all things. You must never sweat or show even the slightest exertion.

I'm just trying to reconcile that with your being a 42 year old man living in a trailer park and surviving mostly off the money brought in by your 700 pound mom working a sex chat line.

Would a person like you even understand the complexity of something like this? Do you know when a monster encounter ends there are SIX different sources consulted with that have to cumulatively assemble buffers representing the remains of the battle? I tried to do this with various pointer lists and probably introduced a dereferenced pointer as a C++ reference call. It happens to real programmers all the time. Unemployed people like you, it never EVER happens to. Because you're not a programmer. I work with guys like you year round. Their management calls me in TO DO THE WORK THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING but couldn't. Do you know why they never got anything done after years of working on it? THEY WERE PERFECT LIKE YOU. I do the work, I get paid my money and then

... I leave them to their perfection. It's a museum of dead people who don't know they are dead.

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite
New and Trending is personalized for you, unfortunately(?).
if you know how that works pls tell me why i keep getting shit like "dragon gurl" "demon gurl" etc and i dont own or have wishlisted anything similar :(
could tis be because of stranger of sword city?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
1eUrQEV.png

Twas brillig and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe,
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the jub-jub bird and shun,
The frumious Bandersnatch!

He took his vorpal sword in hand,
Long time the manxome foe he sought,
So rested he by the tum-tum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock with eyes of flame
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through!
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head,
He went galumphing back.

And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy.
Oh frabjous day! Calloo! Callay!
He chortled in his joy.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
New and Trending is personalized for you, unfortunately(?).
if you know how that works pls tell me why i keep getting shit like "dragon gurl" "demon gurl" etc and i dont own or have wishlisted anything similar :(
could tis be because of stranger of sword city?

Games you have wishlisted, their tags, games you have bought, their tags, games your friends play/review etc.

So probably yes. Most recent seems to have bigger impact as well.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
V2 1200 hours confirmed.

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[ontwikkelaar] 18 minuten geleden
Lots of NPCs will demand a tablet on the spot if they know you have one. If your party is too weak to fight them you may have no choice. You can get it sooner or later from the White Owl but it may be much later on in the game. The White Owl eventually confiscates those tablets and will present them to you when you visit him.

By V2 this will get a lot trickier when the NPCs begin to dynamically move around the map and even stash these tablets elsewhere. You will have to figure out where they put it and go there.
Laatst bewerkt door GOLDEN ERA GAMES; 17 minuten geleden

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
1eUrQEV.png

Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the jub-jub bird and shun,
The frumious Bandersnatch!

He took his vorpal sword in hand,
Long time the manxome foe he sought,
So rested he by the tum-tum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock with eyes of flame
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through!
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head,
He went galumphing back.

And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy.
Oh frabjous day! Calloo! Callay!
He chortled in his joy.

Good eyes and I am really proud of that entire level. Students of Alice in Wonderland and related trivia will notice all the references. I like the way the level plays out and ends in front of the mirror, since Knorlos Knossos lives in the mirrors and in dreams. Just out of curiosity, did you discover his origin story in the reservoir?

PEACH

Arbiter
The longer I play, the more suspicious it seems to me game mechanics and the less the game reminds me wiz7. On the musical instruments in my party are those who turn first (and not those who have useless, it seems for me, the skill "music"). My thief has the skill 65 in daggers and 0 in swords, but with a dagger he hits 2 times out of 5, and with sword he hits nine times out of ten. For any value of the "Sorcerers / Alchemy / ..." skill, its owner can learn and successfully cast any spell that the class and level allow. In the process of experimenting with different parties, I had a bad suspicion that most of the combat and magic skills do not affect anything.

I can't make heads or tails of what does what or what does nothing, but it does appear my best character at hiding numerically speaking has almost never hidden successfully while I have a character with maybe 1/3 the value who pulls it off the same turn the other one botches it

Isn't going to ruin my experience because the secrets / exploration are bar none the best I can think of and I'm loving the game so far regardless of dubious elements, but if a plethora of stats and skills remain mystifying at best and potentially broken at worst it will probably hurt the game's replay value pretty bad. Here's hoping some of this is illuminated and tightened

Fargol

Novice
CRAFTING IS NOT IN???

Nope.

And jesus fucking christ thanks for that. The most retarded RPG feature that's emerged from the miasma of decline.

Why? I've never played a game where crafting was required to win (and NEVER should be), but usually it's a blah implementation but a few useful things can be created, such potions, scrolls, and whatnot.

You don't have to craft if you don't want
Wiz8 is quite good. At a minimum it had an excellent character system, combat innovations by way of in combat movement and formations and it featured to this day the very best character portraits and party interaction in a blobber bar none. It also has what I consider to be one of the very finest interfaces. It wasn't without its blemishes but a lot of blobber and Wizardry players love it.

I'm not convinced you could be objective on Wiz8 Cleve.

I too liked Wiz 8 lot but the one essential "mod" was the one that sped up combat, without which you'd die of either old age or insanity.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Because it comes with shitty side effects like lootitis and poor item balance.

This. I've never played a game where crafting didn't completely fuck up the itemization. Either you can CRAFT powerful items which makes the item hunt flaccid (one of the main fucking points of playing RPGs is to hunt for treasure) or you can FIND powerful items which makes crafting useless.

mondblut

Arcane
But still have people who love calculations and mathematics. And subj was addressed to them.

Not at all. Grimoire is a lost in time game from the early 90s. In early 90s, there were no tooltips saying "increases agility by 3.24% for 37s", the manuals were vague, and optimization wikis written by WoW wankers from Leeroy Jenkins video did not exist. Early 90s approach to RPG mechanics was "I don't know what the fuck I just did, but wow, it was awesome".

When I created my first party, I put bard`s points in the music skill. Then I saw that the party members without this skill use musical instruments as well as he.

Invoking prime/alter musical instruments from inventory bar is an acknowledged exploit. Resist the temptation, could you?

When using instruments as equipped items as they are supposed, music skill very much matters, halcyon lyre damage proves that.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

This. I've never played a game where crafting didn't completely fuck up the itemization. Either you can CRAFT powerful items which makes the item hunt flaccid (one of the main fucking points of playing RPGs is to hunt for treasure) or you can FIND powerful items which makes crafting useless.

The solution is to have some best in slot items only available from crafting and some best in slot items only from actually finding them so for example you can craft the best weapon for an assassin but not for a warrior etc...

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
But still have people who love calculations and mathematics. And subj was addressed to them.

Not at all. Grimoire is a lost in time game from the early 90s. In early 90s, there were no tooltips saying "increases agility by 3.24% for 37s", the manuals were vague, and optimization wikis written by WoW wankers from Leeroy Jenkins video did not exist. Early 90s approach to game mechanics was "I don't know what the fuck I just did, but wow, it was awesome".

When I created my first party, I put bard`s points in the music skill. Then I saw that the party members without this skill use musical instruments as well as he.

Invoking prime/alter musical instruments from inventory bar is an acknowledged exploit. Resist the temptation, could you?

When using instruments as equipped items as they are supposed, music skill very much matters, halcyon lyre damage proves that.

If my bard has 100 music skill, does it matter if he equip the instrument or use it from the inventory bar?

Biggus

Scholar

While I agree in the main, this assumes that the game actually has some form of meaningful itemisation. No sarcasm meant. At level 5, the I am using the same weapons as I did at level 1.
The first shop I find, sells nothing better than what I have, and trivialises the 1000 or so gold that took me many fights and many hours to accumulate.
If that isn't screwed itemisation, I don't want to ever see it.

Know what the funny thing is about this game?
Even though it is so broken that it beggars belief, and contains more bugs and issues than I have ever seen in a game over many decades of gaming, if you can get past its level of broken-ness and bugged-ness, it is still fun. Kinda makes you wonder what it could have been if the crackerjack coder actually was one.

Wiz8 is quite good. At a minimum it had an excellent character system, combat innovations by way of in combat movement and formations and it featured to this day the very best character portraits and party interaction in a blobber bar none. It also has what I consider to be one of the very finest interfaces. It wasn't without its blemishes but a lot of blobber and Wizardry players love it.
I also liked the many keyboard shortcuts available in W8.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

While I agree in the main, this assumes that the game actually has some form of meaningful itemisation. No sarcasm meant. At level 5, the I am using the same weapons as I did at level 1.

That is actually keeping the spirit of Wizardry 7 - to this day a game with the best cRPG itemization ever, in my book. When I play it each character uses like 3 different weapons max, throughout the game.

The secret of good itemization is very easy, actually - items should be:
1) relatively scarce
2) interesting (unigue look, stats, abilities, roles)
3) finding them must be fun, that mainly means no crafting and proper effort-reward system (you should not get a health potion and 3 gold for killing a dungeon boss for example, bc of muh loot tables)

Despite that most devs somehow manage to always completely fuck things up. Probably the most terrifying example of atrocious itemization is Witcher 3, where items are: 1) fucking everywhere, and metric tons of it, 2) everything looks the same and the only difference in stats are a few points of damage or absorption, 3) not sure if hand placed loot even exists in TW3, it's all automatic loot table vomit.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
If my bard has 100 music skill, does it matter if he equip the instrument or use it from the inventory bar?

Using from the bar does not even know what skill to use. It was invocation before, and probably still is.

Got broken, soon to be patched.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom