Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Viata

Arcane
Wait until Shelach. You'll love her.

I beat her successfully without cheating but on some of my cheat playthroughs the fight lasted well over 40 minutes and she still won with cheats maxing out all my characters. Then when you think you have won and can just stride over and pick up the tablet ...
I was saved by Critical Blow. It was a help from god after I prayed on that place on Skulheim.

Biggus

Scholar
What you little piece of trash completely missed is the fact that my post was about Wizardry too.
I couldn't care less about that cargo cult Wiz clone you guys are discussing itt. :M

But nice to know that Cleve also copypasted the UI issues without thinking so it's even possible to misinterpret my post in that way. :lol:

edit:
Fuck it, I just deleted my Wiz VI game folder. What a pointless grind. I really don't like that compartmentalized dungeon layout in the dwarven mines. Also it dawned on me that the grind is the game. And just the grind, there's nothing else to it.
So I installed WizVII now, hope that the UI is better there and that there are a few more decisions I can make when leveling up my chars. Beyond switching classes that is, felt more like a cop out for borked character in most cases.

You call it a grind, I call it gameplay. You want to finish it in some record time, I don't want it to end. See why our opinions will never align? :)
Who do you think gets the most out of it? Trust me, it isn't even a contest.

Last edited:

makchanka

Arbiter
Shams
iconGames.png
há 8 minutos
Took a step into a water / pool near the start, and it resulted in instant death for my party ... really? Really hope it was acid or something nasty, not just water - and there should be a sign around to encourage people to keep out of the water.
Not releasing the manual on day 1 was the best thing for Grimoire.

lol people who never played Wizardry whining about a game they bought based on Wizardry's mechanics.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Wow, I love how I got petrified, and the only cure seems to be making a potion using nightshade, some other flower, and mandrake roots. But the problem is I already sold the nightshade I think because I initially thought it was useless, and none of the stores sell herbs. I don't even know where to get the mandrake roots.

No one sells any depetrifying scroll or book. Is this how it is supposed to be?
Clerics receive a stone-to-flesh spell --- at level 7. :M

Biggus

Scholar
Way to out yourself as a retard.

The prison he's in should be a clue.
Your retard is out of prison. For now, that is.

So, I understand this has been in development for twenty years. Should I buy it now, or wait for it to stabilize a little?

Kidding aside, I'm completely new to blobbers, and I understand Grimoire's approved by experienced people. Is it a good entry point into blobbers or should I start with other games first?

Stability aside, if you are new, try something else first, preferably something with a good manual that explains stuff about classes and stats and such. Without a base knowledge of the underpinnings of the genre, you are going to stuggle with this. Hopefully, if you get one or two under your belt first, and get a taste for it, CMB will have written a manual, and polished Grimoire up a little.

I am not saying 'don't play Grimoire', quite the opposite, I am saying the IF you want to play it and get the maximum enjoyment from it, you are better off learning to crawl before attempting the 100m hurdle, underwater, blindfolded :)

aratuk

Cipher
Some of the SuperID item descriptions are nice, since they're basically extended Cleve-ian rants :lol::
this is some of the best shit I've ever seen. really wish I could play this on my Mac. I know I'm probably slightly a loser for having a mac but I got it for music/video production and it works for that quite nicely

at least I can play Wiz 7 and other stuff for the time being. but man that writing, brilliant.

You can play on Mac. A few days ago I uploaded a Wineskin wrapper preconfigured for Grimoire:

https://mega.nz/#!ZFgFRDpK!94US6qfhUP5xLuL6Fi9TtiLbdx2mMtoUbKYaqhMTEAo

Unzip, show package contents, & there is an empty Grimoire folder in Program Files. Copy your Grimoire files into this folder (no subfolders).

Then you run the Wineskin as you would any other Mac application.

You do have to close the game and open it again to switch between fullscreen and windowed mode, and when you first restart into windowed mode, sometimes the far left or right side of the screen doesn't refresh for a minute or so. But then it runs without issues.

Last edited:

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Cleve do drow have special weapons and armor like the character creation screen says? why do drow have shitty mana regen?

Biggus

Scholar
We *1.2.0.18* now:
Version 1.2.0.18
----------------------------------------

Hotfix for Skulheim game logic bug.

Under some conditions it was possible to close the pit and then toggle it to open again in the far northeast corner of Skulheim. This meant you would not be able to reach Count Orloch's lair. The button on the wall beside the pit now does nothing. This has not changed any game pointers and should not have any effect other than to make sure the pit is not toggled to open again after being closed.

Sorry, this was a puzzler for me when I was doing the final review. I forgot where that pit was supposed to be closed from and finally did a brute force button beside it, thinking it foolproof. This button could toggle the pit open again making it impassable and dumping you to the floor below every time you would try to cross. This would not prevent you from completing the game but you'd have a nice portion of Skulheim cut off you could not reach. Should be fixed, any other problems notify me and I will look at them right away.

"...should be fixed" hmmm :)

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
HP Lovecraft was a racist who thought all races besides whiteys were inferior and degenerate and yet he is beloved (and my favorite writer of all time too)
People are starting to hate him now.

Nobody likes lovecraft. People like the Cthulhu meme. Nobody likes lovecraft. Most of the normies I speak to generally repeat the same talking point Re: lovecraft.

So you can generally hear most normie opinions given to them by the narrative on lovecraft as thus: HP Lovecraft is the father of Cosmic Horror as a concept, and Cthulhu is so cool, but he was a racist, and other people's expansion on his ideas were better than the original work. That's generally what's going on.
Nobody likes Lovecraft because he was a decent human being who liked to help people and had no problem in letting others borrow his work and ideas in their own literary creations. He was a racist (or more likely a xenophobic), sure. But so was that fat alcoholic cuck Hemingway (among many other writers/artists/thinkers of the time) and nobody seems to care.
There's no evidence that Lovecraft ever mistreated a black dude or some kind of foreigner. Again, stupid sheeple usually look at what one says and not at what one does.

If Lovecraft was a drunk, a woman beater, an hipster pedophile or some sort of fag, filled with money and well-known in the "marxist sociology circles" then he'd still be seen today as a groundbreaking and revolutionary writer, with "complex" ideas and lifestyle.

Since he was a simple man, with a simple life without vices he's seen today as a "racist fascist", by all the System-Slaves.

Fact is: Lovecraft is and will remain famous. Karl Marx, on the other hand, will be completely forgotten from human memory and culture in 50 years max.

There are two hilarious things about Lovecraft you should know :

1. Lovecraft was terrified of being accused of being a homosexual because he was sensitive and unmarried. He deliberately surrounded himself with tough talking intellectuals who adored him and considered him a very fine man in both his character and his general treatment of nearly everyone. Completely unknown to Lovecraft was that all his close friends almost to a man were homosexuals. They didn't seem to mind that Lovecraft was homophobic because they were aware he was feeling terribly inadequate in general in life after looking for a job in New York city for years. What is terrible is that Lovecraft was a remarkable editor and it is difficult to believe not a single publisher in New York recognized his gifts, instead employing mostly unexceptional hacks. All of his homosexual friends pointed out that Lovecraft never hesitated to help any of them edit and refine their own works and submit them for publication and never take credit or ask for a dime when they got into magazines that were competing directly with his limited options in publications. Although Lovecraft was not gay he got along much better with this group of men because like him they were all more sincere and very interested in becoming excellent writers.

2. Lovecraft was not just afraid of blacks, jews and foreigners. He was scared of people who were not from Providence. The entire world looked like a dark chthonic mass of writing tentacles of monstrous biological horrors to Lovecraft including the majority of all white men. To say he was xenophobic is a slur against xenophobics.

Biggus

Scholar
Bros, should I just play Wiz7 while I wait for this to reach peak incline or do I go in now? It's such a daunting game with the promised 600 hours.

I've never completed any of the Wizardry's (I blame birth year) but I do have some experience with RT and TB blobbers -- M&M1-6, EoB, LoG1-2, Elminage games -- if that matters at all. I am not weak of heart and willing to get thunderfucked by these games but am I too green to appreciate the sheer :obviously: ? Please send help, my $40 needs a home.

With those under your belt, you won't have a problem with Grimoire. Now or later though? Probably best to wait. I can't help but feel CMB will break Grimoire a lot more than he will (or can) fix it. Play Wiz, then come meet the love child they spawned, safer I reckon.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
What will never be fixable: There is a huge gap in quality and style of the writing in Grimoire between the original Sirtech writers' work and what cleve added to the game. So if you value writing and immersion a great deal, stay away... but then you shouldn't play blobbers anyway.

Edgy. Now something I know about you is that you are desperate to be liked and you will not hesitate to slur a complete stranger on the internet without any risk to you and zero evidence if it presents the potential of gaining you some attention.

So, according to you ... Max Phipps, a man who needed a prompter in his last ten years in the theatre because he couldn't remember his lines, a nobody dinner theatre never-was actor who died without ever having a box office hit to his name ... this Z-Grade movie actor camp follower was secretly a superior writer to Cleve Blakemore. Realistic. It is amazing Max was starving without a decent role in over ten years when I met him and yet he refused to write with this amazing gift of his for the craft. I guess like you, he chose not to run.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hey look, Cleve finally gets his Codex stripes. An honest-to-goodness, genuine Developer Tag.

Hardest earned in history.
JAqk.png

I'm frightened that now I will be required to participate in some sick bizarre sexual initiation ritual by Dark Underlord and other site admins.

19514775-Venetian-carnival-mask-isolated-on-white-background-cutout-Stock-Photo.jpg

Way to out yourself as a retard.

The prison he's in should be a clue.
Your retard is out of prison. For now, that is.

So, I understand this has been in development for twenty years. Should I buy it now, or wait for it to stabilize a little?

Kidding aside, I'm completely new to blobbers, and I understand Grimoire's approved by experienced people. Is it a good entry point into blobbers or should I start with other games first?

Stability aside, if you are new, try something else first, preferably something with a good manual that explains stuff about classes and stats and such. Without a base knowledge of the underpinnings of the genre, you are going to stuggle with this. Hopefully, if you get one or two under your belt first, and get a taste for it, CMB will have written a manual, and polished Grimoire up a little.

I am not saying 'don't play Grimoire', quite the opposite, I am saying the IF you want to play it and get the maximum enjoyment from it, you are better off learning to crawl before attempting the 100m hurdle, underwater, blindfolded :)
I get you. I watched half an hour of an LP yesterday. The guy was constantly getting random encounters, even though he had set "roaming monsters" to "rare". I don't know if this was the result of a bug with the setting not working, or it was by design.

It also made an impression on me how much clicking you have to do for each combat round - 8 party members, if you want to change their action for the round that's more clicking, if they cast magic it's even more. Maybe if you had some sort of feature that allows you to make and save templates for the whole party's actions this turn, this would reduce the repetitive activity.

Other than that, I really like the art style and the exploration. I guess there are also riddles but I haven't watched much of the LP.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Hey look, Cleve finally gets his Codex stripes. An honest-to-goodness, genuine Developer Tag.

JAqk.png

I'm frightened that now I will be required to participate in some sick bizarre sexual initiation ritual by Dark Underlord and other site admins.

Can be worse than Phips apartment.

I'd be more worried about being present when Drog Black Tooth produces the promised video of self-fellation if Grimoire dropped.

Considering how special Grimoire is, he should be required to finish the job.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
What you little piece of trash completely missed is the fact that my post was about Wizardry too.
I couldn't care less about that cargo cult Wiz clone you guys are discussing itt. :M

But nice to know that Cleve also copypasted the UI issues without thinking so it's even possible to misinterpret my post in that way. :lol:

edit:
Fuck it, I just deleted my Wiz VI game folder. What a pointless grind. I really don't like that compartmentalized dungeon layout in the dwarven mines. Also it dawned on me that the grind is the game. And just the grind, there's nothing else to it.
So I installed WizVII now, hope that the UI is better there and that there are a few more decisions I can make when leveling up my chars. Beyond switching classes that is, felt more like a cop out for borked character in most cases.

You call it a grind, I call it gameplay. You want to finish it in some record time, I don't want it to end. See why our opinions will never align? :)
Who do you think gets the most out of it? Trust me, it isn't even a contest.
Actually I really want to get into this too. There are games where the tedium didn't bother me at all, like some of these SNES JRPGs (Does Secret of Mana ring a bell? awesome game, stupid but fun). With WizVI it was just too much, the clunky UI (some little things annoy me the most, like why does an arrow key press in the direction out of a grid of options not send me to the item on the opposite side of the grid menu?), the missing feedback (weapon stats, which gates to open with which key, etc), the too random enemy spawn RNG (not asking for handplaced mobs, even though I vastly prefer those), the same tileset for every part of the game, be it in the castle or on the mountain, the story that doesn't really exist (hence my Dark Souls comparison), the character development that feels way too limited and on rails ... Learning by doing is counterproductive here imo, why not let me level these skills exclusively on levelups so I can at least screw up if I want? and why that weird mix of skills that improve by themselves and ones that don't?
Wizardry VII at least has some nice VGA graphics and midi music. Also the UI is much improved, even though they still made the keyboard layout clunky (Dwarf Fortress syndrome, different keys for everything just because it's in different menus and the options have different first letters, in the end you have nearly as many keys in use as in a flight simulation, and that for a fucking blobber :lol:).

Last edited:

Biggus

Scholar
I get you. I watched half an hour of an LP yesterday. The guy was constantly getting random encounters, even though he had set "roaming monsters" to "rare". I don't know if this was the result of a bug with the setting not working, or it was by design.

It also made an impression on me how much clicking you have to do for each combat round - 8 party members, if you want to change their action for the round that's more clicking, if they cast magic it's even more. Maybe if you had some sort of feature that allows you to make and save templates for the whole party's actions this turn, this would reduce the repetitive activity.

Other than that, I really like the art style and the exploration. I guess there are also riddles but I haven't watched much of the LP.

The GUI is a nightmare, it was a nightmare in the 90s, and it is a bad nightmare in 2017. It would be refreshing to see CMB actually acknowledge this, rather than ignore it. He doesn't listen to overwhelming feedback on the same simple point. Sure, it is partly subjective and sure, it doesn't bother some people as much as others, but I don't think I have seen even one person say it is good, and I have seen a lot pulling their hair out over just how bad it is :P It isn't even consistant. Sometime you have to do this action one way, another time, a different way. Some times things have the focus, sometimes they don't. FFS, if it was even consistant as it stands it would be a big improvement!

This doesn't make it bad game, nor do the zillion bugs make it bad game, it is anything but a bad game, but... it can never be the game it should or could have been, because of the GUI. The GUI is the FIRST impression, and as we know, first impressions count for much.

How hard can it be for a crackerjack coder to revamp the inventory and add a cuppla hotkeys (well, ok a cuppla CONFIGURABLE hotkeys) Just thow a tiny fraction of that IQ at the problem and... voila, Grimoire goodness.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So what you're saying is you fucked up by not putting enough speed into your characters? Or that you simply went into an end-game area while not being ready for it?

No... Casters ALWAYS act last, it doesn't matter how much speed you give them. And the issue is the length of the combat as they spam actions, not any "difficulty".

And it doubt you will ever be able to have more speed than some of those enemies (buffed one of my frontliners has 70 and still can't act before them)

the fuck? end game? There are just under 200 hours in the time since release. Are you rushing through it, ignoring quests, and poopsocking to make average time or are you taking your time with it, making the 600 hour thing bullshit?

I don't think I am average player in any way, I've decades of passive Cleve lore accumulated and I tried the superdemo back in the day. My guess is is that it will take me ~200 hours to complete the game.

The game progression isn't linear either, you can visit some pretty tough locations straight away, there are no artificial barriers for the most part.

donnus

Literate
Some of the SuperID item descriptions are nice, since they're basically extended Cleve-ian rants :lol::
this is some of the best shit I've ever seen. really wish I could play this on my Mac. I know I'm probably slightly a loser for having a mac but I got it for music/video production and it works for that quite nicely

at least I can play Wiz 7 and other stuff for the time being. but man that writing, brilliant.

You can play on Mac. A few days ago I uploaded a Wineskin wrapper preconfigured for Grimoire:

https://mega.nz/#!ZFgFRDpK!94US6qfhUP5xLuL6Fi9TtiLbdx2mMtoUbKYaqhMTEAo

Unzip, show package contents, & there is an empty Grimoire folder in Program Files. Copy your Grimoire files into this folder (no subfolders).

Then you run the Wineskin as you would any other Mac application.

You do have to close the game and open it again to switch between fullscreen and windowed mode, and when you first restart into windowed mode, sometimes the far left or right side of the screen doesn't refresh for a minute or so. But then it runs without issues.
I don't really get how Wineskin wrappers work. Also, when I get the game on Steam I don't really get how to access the Grimoire files. That said, this is definitely a pointer in the right direction and I'll try to look into it. I'm not so good with these kinds of computer things. I've had Wineskin things working before but when Steam comes into it I get confused and honestly I feel like I just got lucky getting Wine working in the first place. I'm trying to get a job coding so it might be a good thing to try to work out but ... kind of like Wizardry 7 I feel too dumb to do it.

I'm at the Orkogre castle in Wizardry 7 and there is one part after obtaining a reflective item that you are supposed to ... well... how in the ever loving fuck did people igure out this puzzle lol. I might be going about the game wrong. Like I am playing it like it's just a usual RPG but really, these games are puzzle games too... played Riven/Myst and some of Myst 3 a couple months back pretty rapidly and no joke, these games actually have that same "what in the fuck" element to them where you have to approach it with the same mysterious mentality. I don't think people realize ...... i actually was thinking before discovering it from Grimoire that the ultimate game would take the best in point and click experiences as well as the turn based combat exploration and unify such aspects toward a superior type. I think these games really approach such an achievement though I don't think people recognize that as they are a bit impenetrable.

LootSeeker

Educated

JAqk.png

If you end up wearing a bra on your head like in the movie Weird Science, post a pic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom