Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
He stated quite a few times, including on the Steam forums, that he is in fact an aspie. Probably self-diagnosed, though.
My real experience working with a few aspies for years is that they can be highly intelligent, having a real mind for data and systems. However, they are often scattered or myopic in their focus so as to lose perspective or the ability to self-regulate or snap out of it. Your mileage may vary.

Yes, he's written about it often over the years

I'm Texas Arcane.

Was clinically diagnosed three years ago. Everything but social skills runs at above par.

I don't think I'm a natural, rather like Wolverine in X-men. I think I was manufactured by a chemical accident with sodium lye when I was 18 months old and drank some Drano left out in a Coca-Cola bottle. Like Wolverine, though, I'm still an X-man irregardless.

Married with two children to a neurotypical. Learned to fake it so well over the years was very good at passing for a neurotypical except a few eccentricities that would surface despite my best efforts. Still managed to hold down jobs in IT over the years and keep food on the table. I honestly thought I was from another planet until a few short years ago - all my life I often experienced the "aspie" panic around the clock that others would discover I was only faking being human. Always scared people would point to me suddenly and do that Donald Sutherland Invasion of the Body Snatchers thing with the howling.

Out of the blue in 1997 I turned into an underground tunneling machine and built a gigantic subterranean fortress here in Australia for fear of changes occurring in the world. At the time I felt I was the only person who could see them but lately I've got more company. Usually passions like this would have burned out a while back but continue my shelter building with great gusto after briefs rests now and then. Always adding to my systems and coming up with new twists for things.

As I entered middle age I think a lot of my symptoms began to self-regulate and I believe I have grown much better naturally without any intervention of any kind. I tend to be far more empathic with others than when I was younger and even a bit more so lately, whether neurotypicals or anybody else. I am not as angry as I was when younger and also seem to manage this much better as well.

Never been on any medication, even my depression was always pretty well managed relatively speaking. It was truly black at times but I always kept a poker face irregardless. I think my children have been an enormous comfort to me and given me a sense of purpose I may have lacked.

Decidedly human and pretty honest. We all have our shit. He reminds me of a good friend and colleague.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What. The. Fuck.

The mouse pointer lags behind the actual mouse several seconds.
The game is fully unplayable like this.

You've got to be kidding me. Hell, even in 1997 coding a game with mouse logic like that would have irritated most people :lol:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Current workarounds are to either turn down mouse polling, or lower screen resolution
http://steamcommunity.com/app/650670/discussions/0/1471967615846697132/
Aaand to the trash it goes*.
It is 2017. I'm not going to alter anything about my system to be able to play a game.

Guess I'll be back in a few months so see if the game adjusted to the latest century with things like varying mouse dpi :lol:

This is the first time ever that I'm requesting a Steam refund.
After all, I still have the IndieGogo key (bought it again just to support, silly old me), so if this ever becomes playable, I at least won't be paying again.

*Well, Steam doesn't move anything to the trash bin on uninstalling, actually, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Current workarounds are to either turn down mouse polling, or lower screen resolution
It is 2017. I'm not going to alter anything about my system to be able to play a game.

Guess I'll be back in a few months so see if the game adjusted to the latest century with things like varying mouse dpi :lol:

This is the first time ever that I'm requesting a Steam refund.
After all, I still have the IndieGogo key (bought it again just to support, silly old me), so if this ever becomes playable, I at least won't be paying again.

*Well, Steam doesn't move anything to the trash bin on uninstalling, actually, but you get the idea.

Don't ever buy anything on GoG and play it in Dosbox. Those games are all shit because they don't run with your 16000 DPI mouse.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron

Don't ever buy anything on GoG and play it in Dosbox. Those games are all shit because they don't run with your 16000 DPI mouse.
I don't know about your experience, but no matter what game I play in Dosbox, my mouse always works just fine.
The only thing I need to adjust sometimes are the cycles.

So, even Dosbox gets this right without me needing to do anything about my system.
Besides, this has nothing to do with old or new, actually. I cannot remember a single game where I had problems like that. Ever. If a mouse was lagging behind, it was due to heavy calculations going on. Which certainly is not the problem here ;)

And most games come with something called input scaling where you can speed up or down scrolling/pointer movement/etc.
This is just shoddy programming by any standard from back then or today.

Sorry, your little toaster-defense failed.

Wait... does Grimoire work better in Dosbox?
:philosoraptor:

jfunk

Augur
What. The. Fuck.

The mouse pointer lags behind the actual mouse several seconds.
You've got to be kidding me :lol:

What polling rates are people running that are causing this problem? I'm playing full screen with scaling and a 500 polling rate with no input lag. Seems like there must be something more to it than that.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
PhantasmaNL I'd appreciate a backer's key for sure.
That's pretty lame mate, considering:

Is there any veteran Codexian in this thread that still needs the game? but unfortunately cant righteously support incline with a modest amount of fiat currencies because lack thereof

And

I bought it. Did I do the right thing?

I was joking when I said I bought it lol, but now I have a copy thanks to PhantasmaNL

I started playing at work and took like 2 hours just to roll my characters. Is it better to leave an empty slot for recruits?

jfunk

Augur

Hmm...you don't seem to know the difference between dpi and polling rate. Make sure you turn in your PC Master Race badge on your way out the door.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
Is there any purpose behind identifying enemies? Does it make them easier to kill, or is there some place where I can look up their info?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron

Hmm...you don't seem to know the difference between dpi and polling rate. Make sure you turn in your PC Master Race badge on your way out the door.
The difference is pretty obvious and I thought I could omit one, but maybe I should have written "varying mouse dpi and polling rate" to prevent you from chiming in with nothing of value?
Either way, it is not relevant. No game should require any specific mouse setting whatsoever to be playable.

Weasel
What polling rates are people running that are causing this problem? I'm playing full screen with scaling and a 500 polling rate with no input lag. Seems like there must be something more to it than that.

Higher, there have been a few reports like this:
Mouse issue, game cursor does not keep up with actual speed of the mouse. 100% replicable if I move my mouse at even relatively low speeds. DPI set to 6200 and polling rate at 1000Hz/1ms. Slashing polling rate to 500Hz/2ms in mouse software seems to resolve the issue.

Obviously Grimoire needed proper testing on a couple more modern machines instead of whatever Win7 box he was using during development, hence some of the last minute Win10 issues. Some people are prepared to work around this stuff and change a setting or two, others would be better served looking again in a couple of weeks. Based on what happened when the superdemo first came out Cleve will probably have things running more smoothly on a wider range of machines by then.

Biggus

Scholar
Is there any purpose behind identifying enemies? Does it make them easier to kill, or is there some place where I can look up their info?

If you ID them, the er... MYTHOLOGY (is that the one? doh) can go up. Think you have to have 1 point in it though (like all the skills in this respect I think)

Mech

Cipher
Overall I am liking the game so far.

My biggest complaints to date:
Inventory design sucks.
Can't see stat descriptions by clicking on them.
Can't look at character sheet in battle (to double check character skills).
No right-click contextual menu for items.
Some amazingly obvious bugs that you would have to be fucking blind to not notice (I.E. being able to pick double the spells on level up if you select them during the level up process instead of cancelling and selecting them from the character sheet)
No manual or in game help to describe the mini games (IE lockpicking)
Not being able to split the distribute of bonus points as I want to health/skill points/destiny.
Not being able to assign those bonus points to characters BEFORE starting the game.
No ability to auto cast or fast cast last spell (ie detect secrets)

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron

I don't know about your experience, but no matter what game I play in Dosbox, my mouse always works just fine.
The only thing I need to adjust sometimes are the cycles.

So, even Dosbox gets this right without me needing to do anything about my system.
Besides, this has nothing to do with old or new, actually. I cannot remember a single game where I had problems like that. Ever. If a mouse was lagging behind, it was due to heavy calculations going on. Which certainly is not the problem here ;)

And most games come with something called input scaling where you can speed up or down scrolling/pointer movement/etc.
This is just shoddy programming by any standard from back then or today.

Sorry, your little toaster-defense failed.

Wait... does Grimoire work better in Dosbox?
:philosoraptor:

It was a commentary on your hair trigger, not anything technical (which you clearly demonstrated you know not much at all about).

Still, by all means throw this great game into the garbage because you have experienced an input bug and refuse to work around anything. :lol:

jfunk

Augur
There hasn't been a post to the "Critical Bugs" steam thread in 13 hours and almost all of the first page threads are asking for hints/tips or questions about skills, etc.

Has Grimoire finally turned the corner?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom