Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
52 hours and counting. I've not had any crashes since the first few days.

Definitely plenty of "pico-issues" to fix all around, but nothing too glaring. Still shit that should've been obvious to fix, but that'd have required several playtesters (and Cleve actually fixing them).

Danthar

Novice
Things would be way better if Cleve had released it as an EA. Most people would understand those problems and some negative reviews wouldn't be there. But Cleve thinks he knows what he is doing.
This is something I fully agree with. That's the whole point of Early Access, to get people to test your game while making some money in the process. Since the game is full of content it would actually be considered in fantastic shape for an Early Acceess release.
But Steam has strict rules on that, you cannot just do that, you need to demonstrate taking in serious amounts of feedback on the game and incorporating it.
VERY interesting stream.
The guy beat 99% of the game and it took him roughtly 559 hours
Wrong link? He really hasn't.

Unrelated:
Does anyone know what the 'message delay' option does?

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Lets hope this new version is stable enough to last some time while Cleve tinkers away in the official beta test version.

Dedication and effort shown is commendable btw. But extremely long hours, high pressure and a lack of sleep are a recipe for silly mistakes (and believing conspiracy theories about sjw hackers infecting the vault supercomputer through cunningly edited savegames).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
extremely long hours, high pressure and a lack of sleep are a recipe for silly mistakes (and believing conspiracy theories about sjw hackers infecting the vault supercomputer through cunningly edited savegames).

Considering it's Cleve we're talking about that is a very reasonable assumption. I'd say he's still fine.

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who is with me to make a Kickstarter to fund a documentary following Grimoire and Cleve's life right now?!!

I would back it with more than my combined Kickstarter pledges, to be able to sit silently inside Cleve's bunker and/or office, these weeks!!!

Show us the magic, Cleve!!!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Glad Cleve solved the save game bug in 1.2.0.12.
It would be nice if he explains what happened. People will understand and he will regain some of the credit he lost due to the unfortunate issues in the previous patches.

Quoting Cleveland Mark Blakemore from Steam:
I commented out the user app data folder creation request but forgot to comment out the call to get the permissions token, leaving a security token open that did not have permission to overwrite existing files in some instances. This is fixed.
I never use Windows API if it can be in any way avoided (it is absolutely nightmarish to use), so no idea if this sounds "realistic".
Though, it does sound like the kind of overcomplicated crap (old) Windows API would throw at you, having to separate file creation calls and calls to request permission.

Or it might just be some other library.

Weasel
238tWVM.png

1UEnaR9.png

Last edited:

Nixheb

Arcane
After ~10hours of almost non-stop playing, I'm in heaven.

Cleve, thank you. The superdemo was awesome ; this version his ... X10.

The polishing, the astonishing amount of details ...

Fuck off the bugs - had some crashes, ok, but nothing major or blocking.

I can't imagine the countless hours of working on it. It's herculeean.

You can be IMMENSELY PROUD of what you achieved. Immensely. I met a lot of so called "brilliant" people in my life... none where really that impressing.

But THIS GAME. Seriously. "Crackerjack" they called you ? They are such fuckasses to not realize how talented you were !

This game have a SOUL

Again : thanks.

Last edited:

Achilles

Arcane

I like Grimoire in many ways, but again, I would need to truly, madly, deeply love it in order to endure all that. I’m afraid that I do not.

Poor Alec Meer. Playing Grimoire almost drove off the Decline brainslug sitting on his head for decades but in the end he was too weak-willed to break free. He was enveloped by darkness but maybe others can be saved. Baxander is living proof that Incline even from the darkest of places can be achieved if you still have a soul.

Dorateen

Arcane
From the Rock Paper Shotgun article:

In perhaps the greatest divergence from what we now call RPGs, your team of characters have no personality whatsoever, let alone interact with each other

Alec "biodrone" Meer, your RPGs are nothing but lies and balderdash and have nothing to do with Heralds of the Winged Exemplar.

Draxylon

Savant
I never use Windows API if it can be in any way avoided (it is absolutely nightmarish to use), so no idea if this sounds "realistic".
Yes, it sounds reasonable. My apologies for doubting the programming skills of Mr Blakemore. I like his latest posts in Steam explaining all his problems. Seems sincere.
This permission issue is that silly problem that is just slaping in your face and you are unable to see it because of the stress and many other circumstances.

Btw, I also agree in the SOUL the game has. I love the contents, descriptions and lots of details in the game. That´s a lot of imaginative work for just one person.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
From the Rock Paper Shotgun article:

In perhaps the greatest divergence from what we now call RPGs, your team of characters have no personality whatsoever, let alone interact with each other

Alec "biodrone" Meer, your RPGs are nothing but lies and balderdash and have nothing to do with Heralds of the Winged Exemplar.

I liked Wizardry 8 humorous remarks by the party members. But he doesn't mean that, right? He means Dragon Age romance.

Viata

Arcane
52 hours and counting. I've not had any crashes since the first few days.

Definitely plenty of "pico-issues" to fix all around, but nothing too glaring. Still shit that should've been obvious to fix, but that'd have required several playtesters (and Cleve actually fixing them).
I may have that time too, sadly not on steam because I'm not playing recent version.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really don't know what is going on with Grimoire, but I feel very sorry for Cleve. The guy has worked real hard on a great game and it must be terrible that the game won't run (save) as it was supposed to do. I know it's definitely shite to lose saved games, but I wouldn't want to be Cleve right now. Working hard and hating what is happening, knowing it is not going great and then you have to hear from all kinds of people what you already know. Give the guy a break, he knows it already!

If all of this is happening really as he said so he's having a hard time fixing this I totally agree with you. Must be a knightmare and he is taking lots of pressure from people. Honestly, he needs help, and I'm sure there are a lot of nice and "legal" people willing to offer their help (not mine, due to my ignorance :cry:). Hope Cleve learn from his mistakes. Should offer the suffering backers some advantages (he should had let backers beta-test the game... we wouldn't mind wait 6 months more for proper release).
THIS
I dont think many of us original backers would have minded getting a copy for beta testing, reporting bugs and generally just HELPING Mr Blakemore get the game ready for a widespread launch... either that or Early Access
I mean Grimoire is the best game for that sort of approach but Mr Blakemore wouldn't hear about it
When I get home I will try the latest version to see how it does and if it works with my saves I will roll with it... still keeping my .1 saves in case anyhting goes wrong
What really breaks my heart is that the odds were against Mr Blakemore from the start but he was to headstrong to try caution and make sure the launch was as good as it could be... but by all accounts it wqs a fucking disaster; the late keys, the autoupdates, the disastrous PR, the haters... in the end the game is fucking GREAT but it is being hurt by all of these screwups

Mech

Cipher
I played Wizadry 7 for a bit, liked it, but didn't feel like fucking around with gaming the system due to stupid/shit design decisions (I.E fighters take double damage from most monsters, inability to reroll during character creation, etc).

As such I just bought Grimoire instead. Hopefully I don't regret it, lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom