Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Which races have special attacks? I know Drakes have one, Aeorb(?) mindflay and one of snake races has bile spitting or something.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I don't think Metabolism determines how fast you use up vitality. There is definitely some sort of multiplier that makes it faster to regain (mana and vit) the more of it you have. So if you are drained of vit it takes a lot longer to get that first 25% back then the last 75%, making it worthwhile to rest early and often. But I want to not rest early and often so need to figure out what keeps vitality from going down fast or recover faster. It was stated as a fact by the guy who posted the spreadsheets that strength and con impact how much vit per level, but what determines its usage rate and recover rate?

Lord Andre

Arcane
BTW, I've noticed magic missile hitting a second target after the first one is killed. Anyone got a lock on how it works? I'm thinking each power level adds a new missile instead of making the first one stronger...sort of like d&d...

My only regret is that I didn't put more speed on my casters. I assume that's what they need to get their turn first so I can alpha strike boss-y fights.

I think there may be a spellcasting attribute the equivalent of speed. I know my fastest character attacks first with a weapon, but last with a spell.

I don't see which stat would match that... Maybe each action has a speed factor that combines with the stat to determine turn. I know my sage when stabbing with a dagger also goes faster than if she had cast a spell.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Which races have special attacks? I know Drakes have one, Aeorb(?) mindflay and one of snake races has bile spitting or something.

Drakes have fire breath. Lions have some sort of roar ability I've never tried (fear?).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It was stated as a fact by the guy who posted the spreadsheets that strength and con impact how much vit per level, but what determines its usage rate and recover rate?

The MET stat itself?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
BTW, I've noticed magic missile hitting a second target after the first one is killed. Anyone got a lock on how it works? I'm thinking each power level adds a new missile instead of making the first one stronger...sort of like d&d...

My only regret is that I didn't put more speed on my casters. I assume that's what they need to get their turn first so I can alpha strike boss-y fights.

I think there may be a spellcasting attribute the equivalent of speed. I know my fastest character attacks first with a weapon, but last with a spell.

I don't see which stat would match that... Maybe each action has a speed factor that combines with the stat to determine turn. I know my sage when stabbing with a dagger also goes faster than if she had cast a spell.

I think it is skill level. I noticed my bard's sleep go from ST to aoe with higher skill. And the power level doesn't add more missiles at least for up to the mid levels. I got the Rose fairy lady and hers hit all members of a group and her skill in sorcery was wicked high so I'm guessing it has to do with skill level. Its just a guess though.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vamphyr has charm

That one is apparently overpowered against human enemies, eg. against Mordecai. So maybe having 50% during the day is worth it for the Vamphyr. Still seems like a lot of hassle.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
It was stated as a fact by the guy who posted the spreadsheets that strength and con impact how much vit per level, but what determines its usage rate and recover rate?

The MET stat itself?

I don't think so. I started a new game and two warriors with a lot of bonus attributes to spend. I went all in met with one and all in FEL with the other and there was no difference in vit usage or recovery I could see. I should have made 8 of the same to test better but I stayed up all night playing the game and I'm lazy at testing.

This game is great. It would be a lot better with the chardev of Frayed Knights as this is too basic to shine, but since MMX I have needed something new and meaty content wise like this. S&S scratched the itch a little, and this is really getting the spot nice and good.

Lord Andre

Arcane
BTW, some info from my experience with lethal blow.

When the ranger does enough damage to bring the enemy down to 10-15% life, the enemy is like "I made it." and then he dies. It happens enough to be noticeable and I pumped it up to only 20 with some saved points. From there, every time it hits, it gets +1. So if you get it going, it will pay for itself pretty fast.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Vamphyr has charm

That one is apparently overpowered against human enemies, eg. against Mordecai. So maybe having 50% during the day is worth it for the Vamphyr. Still seems like a lot of hassle.

You can get the charm spell easily and early, and I got the bard charm instrument early too. I don't see a need for charm great enough to get a class just for it though.

mondblut

Arcane
I'll try to have a high roll for Wolfin Templar and see if it goes through. Durendil is not the best choice.

Nobody but Durendil can be templars out of the box. They need 60 points and have a roll modifier of x2.

As a furry you'll need a bonus of 75 and they have no modifier. Good luck rolling that :smug:

(they make kickass rangers tho)

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
People are saying to leave 2 slots open for recruitable NPCs. Is this mandatory for game completion? What do you miss out on if you don't recruit them?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I rolled 32 points for a Wolfin and that wasn't enough to choose a Templar. So yeah, I can confirm. ;)

A Bard is also surprisingly difficult to roll, especially a slow one. SPD 40 is probably the lowest you can get for them.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I rolled 32 points for a Wolfin and that wasn't enough to choose a Templar. So yeah, I can confirm. ;)

A Bard is also surprisingly difficult to roll, especially a slow one. SPD 40 is probably the lowest you can get for them.

Isn't templar one of the 4 classes that you can only get later ?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Not sure if already mentioned but there's a friendly merchant in the Village of Crowl, which is very close to the starting location in Sanctuary, if you chose that one. He's an armorer and sells weapons, and his shop, afaict, is completely safe to rest in. So he makes an excellent early base of operations.

Remember to:

- Choose whichever of your characters has the highest Barter skill to handle all transactions

- Right-click on the character's talk icon to get a pop-up with all possible options including BUY and SELL

- Do NOT sell anything if you have any doubts whether you'll need it or not later

Hope this helps someone.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Lord Andre

Arcane
I think in the discussion they confused templar with metalsmith which is quite easy to get with durendil but a bad choice IMO.

I don't think so....

Durendil Templar requires only 30points, i already made one.
Nobody but Durendil can be templars out of the box. They need 60 points and have a roll modifier of x2.

I've never heard of this x2 modifier. I just checked and on a roll of 9 durendil can't get metalsmith anymore. He must roll a 10. If the x2 existed, a 9 would've been sufficient.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom