Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Is there any downside to killing Mordecai?

biggestboss

Liturgist
I don't know, but Cleve says
you can't recruit him and that later on he tries to rob you so maybe you're better off just killing him.

bataille

Arcane
Damn, you're a faster ninja faerie than I.

Last edited:

john141414514

Literate
how do I proceed in the cenotaph? I am in the second floor with the symbol and rat but they're two doors one locked and one with a giant head asking a riddle how do I proceed?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
the two tanks on the front should be Nagas or Saurian.

What about Giant? They seem pretty good. I understand Saurian for the +physical resistance, which is why one of my tanks is a Saurian, but I made my other one a female Giant warrior and she seems to be holding up pretty well.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Is there any downside to killing Mordecai?

Try to mind read him and he attacks on his own. That way after killing him you can go "You all saw it, he had a gun."

It's already done, I was just wondering. ;)

A bigger issue for me is that Gorlo's Key to the Catacombs doesn't open the gate downstairs (Sacred Pools area). Isn't that where it's supposed to go?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

What about Giant? They seem pretty good. I understand Saurian for the +physical resistance, which is why one of my tanks is a Saurian, but I made my other one a female Giant warrior and she seems to be holding up pretty well.

Yeah, Giants are good too. I think they're a bit too slow and bad at AGI.

Electryon

Savant
I just want to say that this kind of collaborative effort on a new game between a fairly small group of people is really something that just DOESN'T happen anymore, and is an accomplishment in and of itself. I certainly am salivating to read it, but I also feel pretty decent knowing I completed the first portion of this game before it even came out.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is there a table out there that shows what the minimum stats are for each class? I've dug up a few tables that show what rolls you need to unlock classes at the beginning, but I'm talking about for classes like pirate, assassin, and jester that must be muti-classed into later.

The class requirements are in the top column - don't know about the other three classes.
A badgamer figured it out through using cheat engine and now I'm going to piggy back off his work.

A pirate requires the following minimum stats (the 40s are all human racial minimums so idk what the minimums are there):
int 40
wis 40
wil 55
str 50
con 40
spe 55
agi 60
fel 50

dev 40
met 40
des 10

Assassin:
int 65
wis 40
wil 40
str 50
con 40
spe 50
agi 50

fel 40
dev 50
met 40
des 10

JESTER! wow this guy has high requirements
int 70
wis 40
wil 50
str 60

con 40
spe 65
agi 75
fel 75
dev 55

met 40
des 10

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

Yeah, Giants are good too. I think they're a bit too slow and bad at AGI.

I'm just worried about her longevity, seems like Giants don't have access to as many types of armor, or they need specific special pieces due to their size.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I'm just worried about her longevity, seems like Giants don't have access to as many types of armor, or they need specific special pieces due to their size.

Yeah, on the other hand Nagas cannot wear pants - or maybe there is some Naga-specific pants later on. Though it doesn't matter much as long the overall TAC is pretty high.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So about that Gorlo key: Is it not for the steel door downstairs?

Epsilon

Cipher
I read a couple of days ago that DEV determines manapool. But what determines the speed at which it replenishes? I've got a sage that replenishes it far faster than my wizard, even if they're the same race, and similar INT, WIS and WIL.

Bluewizard

Barely Literate
I've been looking all day to find out how to use the
stepping stones
but I still can't figure it out, can anyone help? :(

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
What does FOO mean?

*Nevermind, food. I'm an idiot.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Nope, the catacombs is another door downstairs in that same place you meet Gorlo(opposite side of the bath pools).

Yeah, I paid 5000 to get through the first door and then after the pools there is only the steel door. But Gorlo's key doesn't open it. I hope it's not a friggin' bug.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I read a couple of days ago that DEV determines manapool. But what determines the speed at which it replenishes? I've got a sage that replenishes it far faster than my wizard, even if they're the same race, and similar INT, WIS and WIL.

In Wizardry the mana replenishment speed depended on which class you started with. Maybe in Grimoire it's randomized, I don't know. It's the same with NPC's, Rosy replenishes quickly while for the Cleric girl it's much slower.

Viata

Arcane
Nope, the catacombs is another door downstairs in that same place you meet Gorlo(opposite side of the bath pools).

Yeah, I paid 5000 to get through the first door and then after the pools there is only the steel door. But Gorlo's key doesn't open it. I hope it's not a friggin' bug.
Nope, apparently you open the steel door from inside.

Dominae

Educated
So I was afraid the 1000gp per key sales technique was going to break game economy.
I think Charm-then-pickpocket w/ zero chance of getting caught is much worse. Especially since they'll buy back the items you stole from your thieves hand instantly.
"Hey I found this in your pocket, what'll you gimme for it?"
Hoping that gets fixed :negative: as I assume later in the game there are better merchants with better items, making the tactic even worse an exploit.

Redid my party a couple times - currently:
Saur-Berz; Barrower-Armorsmith
Rat-Ranger; Fae-Thief (for that sweet Wiz Fae-Ninja feeling)
Dura-Bard; Eye-Sage
Drow-Cleric; Vamp-Necro (replaced with Lil'Rosie for now, will pick up my character later or swap to another NPC as needed)

Party seems ok so far, though I fail to penetrate still, very often.

Started in the The Shrine/Briarpatch. Mainly because I hit "return to default" in the options menu and wilderness was the default setting, so I assumed it was the standard cannon start.

Enjoying the game so far ... though, monster variability often means I can steamroll one group but one step later hit something that 1-shots my entire party in round one.

Edit: Oops, mondblut was right - I had wrote the wrong name for my start.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Nope, apparently you open the steel door from inside.

Oh ok, I forgot about the other door next to Gorlo. Carry on. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom