Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
My advice is to head straight for the Shrine of the Raptor to clear it 100%, then explore Aquavia and pick up some better equipment. There's also a chest in the woods not too far from your starting position, which has a spear that might be helpful (perhaps the chest contents are semi-randomized, though, in which you case you could find even better equipment, especially if you save-scum).

The chests are indeed randomized. Someone mentioned they contain one potion, one book, one scroll, one potion, one weapon, etc.

Electryon

Savant
So if I am correct, speed is affecting when my characters take their turn in combat, and eventually I want my Bard (if doing crowd control) to have LESS speed than other characters on purpose. Or, for that matter, any character who is focused on crowd control. Is this a correct assumption??

Also, the cursed items seem powerful, but there must be a spell later on to remove them. I just beat the Mummy myself, the first areas are amazing. Again Bards trivialize most everything early on it seems. Much like in something like Baldur's Gate, so do wands and other one time use powerful items. Also still not quite sure what stats are directly affecting the mana pool early on.

bataille

Arcane
So if I am correct, speed is affecting when my characters take their turn in combat, and eventually I want my Bard (if doing crowd control) to have LESS speed than other characters on purpose. Or, for that matter, any character who is focused on crowd control. Is this a correct assumption??

Nope. You wouldn't want to use the sleep harp the entire game, would you? In a few hours you're going to find paralyzing, charming, damaging and other instruments. So it'd be better to disable/kill enemies earlier than they can act.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane

Indeed.

Also, the cursed items seem powerful, but there must be a spell later on to remove them.

As per Wizardry, it only allows to take a cursed item off. They still drain your health if left on. There might some awesome lategame lifedraining items along with regen items to offset them, but bone daggers and burial masks are simply not worth the hassle. It's a trap!

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

It's enough if only your melee characters are faster than the Bard for sleep crowd control. And yeah, with other instruments it makes sense for the Bard to be faster. Bards cannot be too slow anyway, since the only races that can roll a Bard are around 40-45 SPD.

Also, the cursed items seem powerful, but there must be a spell later on to remove them.

The silver spoon you find in Aquavia or the Shrine says "Remove Curse" in its description, so maybe it has that. I was also tempted to equip the bone dagger, since it's 3D4 and so a third more powerful than other weapons in the beginning. Will have to check if the silver spoon can indeed remove cursed items.

mondblut

Arcane

Nope. You wouldn't want to use the sleep harp the entire game, would you? In a few hours you're going to find paralyzing, charming, damaging and other instruments. So it'd be better to disable/kill enemies earlier than they can act.

The key is to hopefully act before enemies but after the rest of the team. Paralyze is also broken by your attacks btw.

Viata

Arcane
So, is there anything important on Spirit Cave? Having only two spellcaster users that can hit them(one is a fucking cleric with no damage spells) is killing me.

bataille

Arcane
Oh, I see.
Anyway, I've decided to ditch bard pretty long ago. She was trivializing the fights way too much! Can't wait to find some bones to raise!

bataille

Arcane
So, is there anything important on Spirit Cave? Having only two spellcaster users that can hit them(one is a fucking cleric with no damage spells) is killing me.

There are just two chests and a ?TOXIC? fountain behind the ?GHOST? and ?APPARITION? encounters.

I'm in Crowl and half my party is fucked up with status effects I can't get rid of because I've used all my consumables. Is there a straightforward temple-like structure that I can pay to get cured?

bataille

Arcane
I'm in Crowl and half my party is fucked up with status effects I can't get rid of because I've used all my consumables. Is there a straightforward temple-like structure that I can pay to get cured?

I'm pretty sure the different secrets in shrine of the raptor can help you.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

There is a pool in the Shrine in Briarpatch Woods that heals all that stuff. Or get some apples from trees, remove disease with them and the rest goes away on its own.

youhomofo

Augur
Is there a table out there that shows what the minimum stats are for each class? I've dug up a few tables that show what rolls you need to unlock classes at the beginning, but I'm talking about for classes like pirate, assassin, and jester that must be muti-classed into later.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I've picked locks by mere trial and error, but is there a logic behind the lockpicking minigame?

I've picked locks by mere trial and error, but is there a logic behind the lockpicking minigame?
Yes - Doors - you've probably figured out they are riddles, each column contains one letter from the answer, and your green stars at the bottom give you the number of incorrect guesses you have until something bad happens.
Chests - from Cleve:

"You are trying to discover which wires are connected to each other on both sides of the trap and then cut them in the sequence revealed. So you want to cut 1 on either side followed by the other 1, 2 then 2, 3 then 3. By pressing the button you are trying to reveal the number according to your inspection skill and avoid setting off the trap with your lockpicking skill. A good way to scam the lock is to find any item with "Locksmith Glue" to lock the trap even if you make mistakes."

So that is where the mysterious inspection skill becomes relevant.

Lord Andre

Arcane
From my experience if you have lockpick high but inspection low, don't bother with the question mark buttons, they won't work, just cut 1 wire directly and work from there.

Viata

Arcane
Not here. Key of Saints. First door on the tomb. Unless it's another place or another key here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom