Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

mondblut

Arcane
Yes. Like I said, however, I want to be able to get back up again, and that particular cliff is a difficulty of 6 out of 10, I believe. But, it would be worth it to grind the climbing skill to be able to visit a new vendor.

Climbing is easy to grind. Cast featherfall and basically just hold down enter or something as you are asked if you want to climb.

There is a plenty of stuff to buy in Kublai Axis, yes.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Yes. Like I said, however, I want to be able to get back up again, and that particular cliff is a difficulty of 6 out of 10, I believe. But, it would be worth it to grind the climbing skill to be able to visit a new vendor.

Climbing is easy to grind. Cast featherfall and basically just hold down enter or something as you are asked if you want to climb.

There is a plenty of stuff to buy in Kublai Axis, yes.

It's an exploit and it is intended to be an exploit. Once you learn the Featherfall spell is for more than just limiting damage from Pit falls you can quickly improve your climbing skills sufficient to climb Blackspike. Nothing accidental about it. This was intended for those players who would try to climb once or twice, get injured then claim the game was too hard. It is only too hard for people never meant to play Grimoire.

Dorateen

Arcane
Incantation and Invocation will increase from item use and scroll use, respectively. But thinking back, the spell casting skills (sorcery, litany, etc.) have to be raised manually upon level up or through other means.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
This was a technical magazine for a short time back in the 90's but it never caught on

GrimoireDeveloper.jpg

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Fuck... I did the grinding without the spell. :D Needless to say my boys took some bruises!

thesecret1

Arcane
I just started playing and I must be doing something really wrong – I'm on novice difficulty and start in crowl prison. The first map is easy enough – I can just bash all the worms and rats to death no problem. But the moment I reach armory, vanguard soldiers appear and I seem unable to actually harm them – all of my attacks that hit just read "no penetration". So I thought I'd just avoid them and beeline it somewhere else (maybe find a shop with better gear or something), but there's some bugs in the way that just obliterate me no matter what I do (their poison instakills me, and they seem to have too much HP for me to dispatch them quickly enough). Can I get some pointers on what I'm doing wrong?

Parsifarka

Arcane
Can I get some pointers on what I'm doing wrong?
Choosing the IMPRISONED start instead of THE SHRINE, which is the starting area best adjusted for someone with no previous knowledge of the game. The Briarpatch woods (The Shrine start) are much more forgiving than the streets of Crowl and you'll be able to level up safely which is extremely important because NO PENETRATION is going to be a curse for a few levels until your characters get strong and/or your spells can significantly harm enemies.
The gang that blocks the path in the woods will be a good test for whether you will survive in Crowl or not. Also, once you restart there fear not raising the difficulty level, you did really start in a tough area for inexperienced characters.

thesecret1

Arcane
Can I get some pointers on what I'm doing wrong?
Choosing the IMPRISONED start instead of THE SHRINE, which is the starting area best adjusted for someone with no previous knowledge of the game. The Briarpatch woods (The Shrine start) are much more forgiving than the streets of Crowl and you'll be able to level up safely which is extremely important because NO PENETRATION is going to be a curse for a few levels until your characters get strong and/or your spells can significantly harm enemies.
The gang that blocks the path in the woods will be a good test for whether you will survive in Crowl or not. Also, once you restart there fear not raising the difficulty level, you did really start in a tough area for inexperienced characters.
Oh damn, I thought there wouldn't be much of a difference between the starting areas difficulty-wise, so I just picked the one that sounded coolest to me. By the way, am I gimping myself if I set the random encounters on "rare" or "never"? I like to backtrack a lot in dungeons to see if I had missed anything, and the constant barrage of random trashmobs is highly annoying for that. On the other hand, not going through those trash fights means I'm missing out on XP

Dorateen

Arcane
Do you have a bard in the party? The key to those early fights is disabling the enemy, and bards are great for that. But also spells like confusion are an excellent way to go. Much of the game's difficulty can be tailored by party composition.

thesecret1

Arcane
Do you have a bard in the party? The key to those early fights is disabling the enemy, and bards are great for that. But also spells like confusion are an excellent way to go. Much of the game's difficulty can be tailored by party composition.
Ah, no. I have warrior, berserker, thief, thaumaturgist, necromancer, cleric, sage, and metallurgist

Dorateen

Arcane
OK, I think it might be a little rough going without a bard, wizard and sage. If you wanted to keep with the prison start, I would up the encounter rate and grind some experience down there.

thesecret1

Arcane
OK, I think it might be a little rough going without a bard, wizard and sage. If you wanted to keep with the prison start, I would up the encounter rate and grind some experience down there.
I'll try with the sanctuary start

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
In the beginning some races have better attacks without the shitty weapons you start with, especially the Lizards, Dragons and Wolves.

Also use the natural race abilities/attacks, such as firebreathing.

The Sage can use musical instruments like a Bard, but I think he starts without one and you also need to improve your music skill a bit first.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I just reinstalled Grimoire and I have a couple of questions.

If I'm going with some multi-classed characters, is the +25% xp to level up cumulative? Or it it just +25% for his whole carrer after 10 multiclass (i'm not going this far)?

Which one is the recommended difficulty for someone who knows what he's doing? 4/5? 5/5 (=max difficulty)?
Does the increased difficulty change the monsters encountered, their levels or is it just HP bloat?

Does the starting race/class skill bonus sticks when changing to a different class?

Gunnar

Arbiter
I can't remember about the XP but I can tell you it's not really a factor, you just plan how many class changes you're going to do in order to get where you want to end up, save up enough stat gains to be able to make each class change (re-roll shit stat gain on levelup if you have to), change classes at level 6-8 (the more the better but then it takes longer) and then when you arrive at your final class, level them to 12 or so and use gold to level them further than that. The multiclassed character is always going to be way better than any single classed character no matter how many levels the single classed character gains.

When I put the difficulty to maximum I noticed that there were often more enemies per individual encounter. Enemies aren't substantially tougher. I played on max difficulty on my playthroughs and never had a problem.

Your other question, I want to say that they retain their racial bonus but I can't really remember.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
If you've played Wiz7 or Grimoire before, I'd say start on Advanced and consider bumping it up to Master later. Difficulty doesn't appear to affect HP or encounter size. It's probably things like resists and attack rolls.

There's no way the XP thing is cumulative. Those Jesters that cycled through ten other classes first would end the game at level 6 if it worked that way.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Gunnar Butter
Thanks for your answers, I started on 4/5, and then started again after a 8/9 firebug encounter on level 1.

The party is now level 2, seems we're on rail I'll probably increase the difficulty further but later.
I'll probably dump the rat thief and hire a NPC soon and probably try a few of them, already got the bones of one.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My Naga Assassin murders bugs, brigands, slimes, rats and plants with his bare hands.
The Giant Warrior isn't bad either.

On the other hand, I've got some trouble with trapped chests.
I discover all the numbers, open and kaboom!
Don't tell me I have to click the chains after getting the right numbers, I can't remember, fuck, might be just that, I'll have to try tonight...

Dorateen

Arcane
Did you match the numbers on both sides? You will have an allowed number of failed attempts before the trap goes off. In addition to the Lockpicking skill, your thief should have a fair amount of points put into Inspection.

notpl

Arbiter
Cleve, I've always wanted to ask: what's the thought process behind the high level spells for each spellcasting class? With the way the XP curve works it's almost impossible to get past level 12 or 13, and each class has spells they learn well into the 20s - in some cases, rather weak or random-seeming spells at that.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Did you match the numbers on both sides? You will have an allowed number of failed attempts before the trap goes off. In addition to the Lockpicking skill, your thief should have a fair amount of points put into Inspection.

Yeah, i forgot i had to click on the chains after matching the numbers.
Opened the first 3 chests with the Giant Warrior's head.
Quite efficient, it's only painful for him.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The Naga Assassin reached 100 in hand to hand in no time so I gave him a knife to train lethal blow instead, which grows extremely slowly but I guess it's fair.
He also was at 42% kills and the Giant Warrior at 25%, I guess it's going to be the other way around soon.

Also switched to max difficulty and frequent encounters.

I got some bones from the wastes start I thing, the deserted area with one skull in the middle and nothing else (the exit leads directly to the village) and I can't resurrect him, I tried Raise Dead and Resurrection, nothing seems to work, any hints?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Cleve, I've always wanted to ask: what's the thought process behind the high level spells for each spellcasting class? With the way the XP curve works it's almost impossible to get past level 12 or 13, and each class has spells they learn well into the 20s - in some cases, rather weak or random-seeming spells at that.
Tried to stop it from just being grinding after level 10 and encourage class changing. If you persevere you can eventually get a character or two to level 20 and get a ton of new spells but the easier route is to class change and try a new profession.

Dorateen

Arcane
I got some bones from the wastes start I thing, the deserted area with one skull in the middle and nothing else (the exit leads directly to the village) and I can't resurrect him, I tried Raise Dead and Resurrection, nothing seems to work, any hints?

It's needed somewhere else in the game, just hold onto it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom