Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
lol 85 level cap with getting fewer skill points after 50, i almost feel dumb for playing all the way to 40

I'm gonna keep playing of course :negative: i'm still butthurt about blizzard ruining the slow time set in D3.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
RE: Flashbang + Elemental Storm, wouldn't Canister Bomb + its transmuter (with ES) do the same, but faster?

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I like Blackwater Cocktail a lot. Use it with my Sorcerer as a 1st strike, followed by Canister Bomb. Deadly.

EDIT:

I also use the BC transmuter, increasing its area of effect and damage (as well as cooldown). Since I'm usually kiting mobs after unleashing the rain of fire, the cooldown is manageable.

Do any of you play with multiple characters? I've got about ten separate builds on the roster, and am rotating between them frequently.

Last edited:
Idk, my performance isn't affected by graphics options at all. I get the same 60 fps most of the time unless it's a big ass fight, then it drops to 20 or so.

I have never had a problem with either game engine.

Titan Quest ran like a dream and so does Grim Dawn.

If anything, Grim Dawn would be way more taxing than Titan Quest because of the insanely detailed levels.

I believed Titan Quest's graphics for an isometric ARPG in 2006 were pretty advanced.

Grim Dawn is a bit outdated though.

Both still destroy Diablo 3.

Not in terms of performance they don't.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Bitch about this game I might, but arcanist is fun as hell to play. Panetti's is the best take on the magic missile I've seen since the original magic missile and flash freeze is great too. Soldier OTOH looks like the class they made for people who thought the defense mastery in titan quest was a bit too interesting and exciting.

i'm still butthurt about blizzard ruining the time stop set in D3

what's that?

D3 used to have a set that made time stop slow time do huge damage to anything in it. Retards cried because the set had no defensive abilities so they replaced it with damage reduction (which you don't need when you fill up the screen with time warping bubbles that make it pretty much impossible to get to you). I ragequit and haven't touched it since.

Sykar

Arcane
I like Blackwater Cocktail a lot. Use it with my Sorcerer as a 1st strike, followed by Canister Bomb. Deadly.

EDIT:

I also use the BC transmuter, increasing its area of effect and damage (as well as cooldown). Since I'm usually kiting mobs after unleashing the rain of fire, the cooldown is manageable.

Do any of you play with multiple characters? I've got about ten separate builds on the roster, and am rotating between them frequently.

I go Stun Jacks, Flashbang, Cocktail, Haunt, Mortar and then go ham.

Idk, my performance isn't affected by graphics options at all. I get the same 60 fps most of the time unless it's a big ass fight, then it drops to 20 or so.

If anything, Grim Dawn would be way more taxing than Titan Quest because of the insanely detailed levels.

I believed Titan Quest's graphics for an isometric ARPG in 2006 were pretty advanced.

Well no, Diablo 3 beats both games in performance because of its dated (Blizzard considers this look "optimized) low-poly graphics.

The company could have gone one way or the other after Diablo 2's signature gritty look, but they chose to go the Warcraft III route in terms of visuals.

Sykar

Arcane

Well no, Diablo 3 beats both games in performance because of its dated (Blizzard considers this look "optimized) low-poly graphics.

The company could have gone one way or the other after Diablo 2's signature gritty look, but they chose to go the Warcraft III route in terms of visuals.

It's not just low poly graphics, most textures are low res as well, especially zoomed in. Plenty look like they from late 90s or early 2ks <.<

Bitch about this game I might, but arcanist is fun as hell to play. Panetti's is the best take on the magic missile I've seen since the original magic missile and flash freeze is great too. Soldier OTOH looks like the class they made for people who thought the defense mastery in titan quest was a bit too interesting and exciting.

i'm still butthurt about blizzard ruining the time stop set in D3

what's that?

D3 used to have a set that made time stop slow time do huge damage to anything in it. Retards cried because the set had no defensive abilities so they replaced it with damage reduction (which you don't need when you fill up the screen with time warping bubbles that make it pretty much impossible to get to you). I ragequit and haven't touched it since.

This is the first time a frost nova type of spell makes actual sense as a defense/CC mechanism for a ranged class. Normally the radius of such spells is so tiny that you get hit in melee anyway.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
The Soldier isn't bad, per se, but it's best used as a support class.

Its best features are the passives and exclusive skills.

Unless you go down the dual-wielder ranged Cadence road, or sword-and-board hedgehog. The latter clears content very slowly, though, while the former is great at killing single enemies, but not ideal for groups.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Unless you go down the dual-wielder ranged Cadence road, or sword-and-board hedgehog. The latter clears content very slowly, though, while the former is great at killing single enemies, but not ideal for groups.
Transmuted Forcewave (Tremor) destroys groups easily. Granted it's not one-shot-everything-in-a-ten-mile-radius Olexra, so you need to spam it a bit, but if you're a pure (or mostly) Soldier it's what you need for clearing trash.

gestalt11

Arbiter
RE: Flashbang + Elemental Storm, wouldn't Canister Bomb + its transmuter (with ES) do the same, but faster?

No because you can do like 5 flashbangs in one second with high cast speed. And just do it over and over. So it completely confuses huge mobs in perpetuity and spawns more storms. Canister itself is a great AOE attack, but you are better served putting storm on flashbang and using canister as extra damage. And flashbang's fumble works on heroes/bosses unlike stuns.

Similarly I believe thermite mine can actually proc one elemental storm per mine with independent recharge and can do ALOT of damage if you get stuff to stand on all 6 at once. However in practice flashbang seems to work a bit better especially if things are spread out (like cultists) as you can spread it around as you machine gun it. If you want to proc Devotion stuff you want to use thing you can cast alot or that have a high tick rate (grasping vines, aether ray etc). In theory with the reahrage/duration you can overlap 3 storms, Canister won't be able to do that and flashbang is radically superior AoE anyway although having the mobs wander can be annoying. Also keep in mind a maxed out flashbang is over -200 DA. It is bar none the best DA debuff in the game. That is a lot of crit and make procing Ulzuin's Pyroclasm very frequent even with my crappy 1250 OA at in level 67 Elite. By putting Storm onto flashbang you can start each fight by machining 5 flashbangs and get 2-3 storms, confuse almost everything, therefore taking little damage, and have increased your OA, effetively, by a lot for whatever your heavy hitter is.

gestalt11

Arbiter

EDIT:

I go Stun Jacks, Flashbang, Cocktail, Haunt, Mortar and then go ham.

I have about 6 builds that I have taken far and at least another 10 I have monkied around with and 2 in early stages. Some of the 6 were actually reworked build from early access. My stun jacks/shield commando has been altered 3 times. After the initial nerf in AA it was OK but lacking in offense for the energy expenditure, but now after reworking it with, new skill (themite mine for -res), Devotions (Arcane bomb on SJ and Ele Storm on FB + retaliation) and some equipment it is smashing elite.

The thing about shields and Solider is its really the only way to get significant extra defense you couldn't normally get. Anyone can get, and probably will eventually, get high resistances. Anyone can get a lot of health. But without soldier you lose over 20% shield recovery and block chance and you need overguard to get to 100% recovery. Since shield blocks are the last thing checked for damage and overguard gives damage absorb too, blocking almost every hit is probably the largest added survivability you can get and can only be gotten by shield soldiers. If you can block say 1500 damage while in overguard, with good resistances, you will take very little damage. A 10k raw hit would be reduced to 2k by 80% resistance, then to 1800 by 10% from menhirs bulwark, then to 1700 by dam absorb from overguard then the block itselff will take off 1500 so you would take 200 damage versus most any other character possibly taking 1500-1700 damage.

I actually have like 3 other stun jacks builds laying around but I slowly came to the conclusion that since you want stun jacks right in something's face for heroes/purple names, I should go for defense rather than a modest added offense of something like Arcanist. I have repurposed my old Stun Jacks sorceror into an AAR build just for kicks. They changed Stun jacks from almost all lightning to half lightning half physical so that actually made my Commando more favorable and in addtion Temper and Menhirs now add a lot of +retaliation and the defnsive devotions I wanted (obelisk, messenger, shieldguy) all give retaliation as does Blast Shield and Ulzuin's Pyoclasm (which is probably the final relic for this build) and some shields give a lot as well. I think right now I can hit something like 4k hit with messenger going for retaliation and that is without significantly gearing for it (also have 41% reflect). So in the end while my Jacks Commando went through some 'meh' parts its come back into its own with good damage contribution from multiple parts, versatile attack ranges/movement, and good defense. I wouldn't say either mastery is entirely primary or support anymore. It used to be like all stun jacks with everything else for support. I don't really use retaliation on large mobs , but I am pretty sure retal + reflect really helps my kill speed on heroes etc.

gestalt11

Arbiter

No because you can do like 5 flashbangs in one second with high cast speed. And just do it over and over. So it completely confuses huge mobs in perpetuity and spawns more storms. Canister itself is a great AOE attack, but you are better served putting storm on flashbang and using canister as extra damage. And flashbang's fumble works on heroes/bosses unlike stuns.

Similarly I believe thermite mine can actually proc one elemental storm per mine with independent recharge and can do ALOT of damage if you get stuff to stand on all 6 at once. However in practice flashbang seems to work a bit better especially if things are spread out (like cultists) as you can spread it around as you machine gun it. If you want to proc Devotion stuff you want to use thing you can cast alot or that have a high tick rate (grasping vines, aether ray etc). In theory with the reahrage/duration you can overlap 3 storms, Canister won't be able to do that and flashbang is radically superior AoE anyway although having the mobs wander can be annoying. Also keep in mind a maxed out flashbang is over -200 DA. It is bar none the best DA debuff in the game. That is a lot of crit and make procing Ulzuin's Pyroclasm very frequent even with my crappy 1250 OA at in level 67 Elite. By putting Storm onto flashbang you can start each fight by machining 5 flashbangs and get 2-3 storms, confuse almost everything, therefore taking little damage, and have increased your OA, effetively, by a lot for whatever your heavy hitter is.

Oops wrong button menat to edit not reply

Edit: So if you look at certain devotion procs they have no rechrage at all. For example Aetherfire, which is fortunately really easy to get to as well, for shits and grins I would suggest people try out Aetherfire on flashbang with good cast speed (like 160%). This is doable in act 1. Now keep in mind Aetherfire is a 15% proc and lasts a short time, but if you machine gun it you can get 4 or 5 patches going in a large mob and its a surprisingly good AoE. Now in Veteran a Canister bomb would simply just kill everything. But 1) you can do both 2) having your initial setup do damage as well is great (and the patches have duration) 3) for the harder things you generally have some large mobs that will not die immediately and have either rush ability or range stuns (the various Hulk types etc), so softening them up both CC wise and DA wise is really great to do before using something like AAR to burn em down. This is one of the reasons Ele Storm or Aetherfire on FB is so great for some builds, you can get a decent AoE and amazing CC for like 4 skill points (I put in more just for the -DA but you can still gets so much for a low investment). Many AAR builds struggle with getting some decent AOE. Put Arcane Bomb on AAR and Aetherfire on Flashbang and Ele Storm on Thermite mine (invest in thermite for the -fire res since AAR/devastation does significant fire) you can clear mobs surprisingly fast even without devastation.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

I don't think it's a bad class, I think it's a boring class.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Soldier is pretty cool as a support class; his passives proc alot, improve ALL of your damage and give you a strong offensive boost; his passive heal skill is really strong, his shield skills make him being the best class to use shields as you can get that 100% block chance and 100% faster recovery easier with a soldier. I just don't recommend using his active offensive skills, not that they aren't effective but blade arc, cadence and blitz pale in comparison with something that can freeze half the screen and the nuke grenades of a demo for example.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Soldier is pretty cool as a support class; his passives proc alot, improve ALL of your damage and give you a strong offensive boost; his passive heal skill is really strong, his shield skills make him being the best class to use shields as you can get that 100% block chance and 100% faster recovery easier with a soldier. I just don't recommend using his active offensive skills, not that they aren't effective but blade arc, cadence and blitz pale in comparison with something that can freeze half the screen and the nuke grenades of a demo for example.
Blade Arc is *really* good for a bleeding-focused character (ticks for over 100k/second once you're well geared), and OFF becomes less effective on higher difficulties (though it's still good CC, it won't one-shot much anymore). Cadence is kind of bad though, at least compared to the other default attack modifiers, and it interferes with passive weapon procs making it even worse. Shadow Strike is ultimately way better than Blitz, but requires a lot more investment, and Blindside is pretty nice for not too many points.

But yeah, Soldier is best for its passives, and its survivability blows every other class out of the water to the point where it's a bit ridiculous.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
ptJYQLV.png

I love it.

But man, my damage output is ridiculously low, when I charge into big groups it's fine, but when I have to fight a boss I will have to hold left mouse for over a minute.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Try to get some retaliation set and devotions, there is also a mythical relic that delivers huge amount of ret.damage but its very grindy to complete it.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I do wish the location of the "hidden" caves would stay on your map once you enter them. Its a pain to remember where they are sometimes.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I do wish the location of the "hidden" caves would stay on your map once you enter them. Its a pain to remember where they are sometimes.
Normally those 'hidden' ones have 'randomly' placed locations per session. But yeah, it would be cool if there was a map indicator like for the other ones.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Normally those 'hidden' ones have 'randomly' placed locations per session. But yeah, it would be cool if there was a map indicator like for the other ones.

Aren't they just per character? I swear they are in the same place from when I went though the game on veteran.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom