Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have been thinking of trying another build focused on Chaos damage. As main skills I was thinking Aether Ray (converted to chaos damage) and Doom Bolt.
Not sure if I should go for lvl 50 occultist or arcanist exclusive skills for it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You'll obviously want the Occultist exclusive skill since it gives Chaos damage and damage absoprtion. There's nothing you'd want from the Arcanist exclusive skills if you are converting Aether Ray into Chaos damage. Be sure to get this for maximum fun time.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
You'll obviously want the Occultist exclusive skill since it gives Chaos damage and damage absoprtion. There's nothing you'd want from the Arcanist exclusive skills if you are converting Aether Ray into Chaos damage. Be sure to get this for maximum fun time.
But I would assume that Aether bonus damage would convert to Chaos damage for Aether ray and arcanist skill also gives bonus fire damage which is half of Aether Ray damage.

RuySan

Augur
Arcanist seems totally boring compared to spellcraft in PoE. It seems that it's just better to dump points into the basic ranged spell instead of trying anything different.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
But I would assume that Aether bonus damage would convert to Chaos damage for Aether ray and arcanist skill also gives bonus fire damage which is half of Aether Ray damage.

You'd assume incorrectly. In damage calculations conversions are always applied first. Any +Aether% damage would be a complete waste.

So quick theorycraft of this build would be this: http://grimcalc.com/build/QeHXpb

At a glance it seems sound enough. What a painful build to look at, though. 50 Points into Occultist and 40 points into Arcanist. Imagine that 30 levels worth of skill points are spent only on the masteries. Ugh, cannot wait for mods to fix this and bring down to 32 points per mastery.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
The +Aether% from Disintegration is still applied even with the transmuter. So going 50 Arcanist would be worth the %damage bonus, the crit bonus and about 50-60 spirit. I'd probably drop the healer bird for that and get heals from devotion, and Blood of Dreeg.

http://www.grimdawn.com/guide/gameplay/combat.php#q20 said:
If you have a skill, such as a Transmuter, that converts the damage your attack does, then this calculation is performed before any bonuses from other skills, attributes or equipment are considered. Skill modifiers are still applied first. What this means is that if you take a skill that normally deals Aether damage and use Conversion to make it deal Chaos damage instead, then the skill will benefit from % Chaos Damage bonuses instead of % Aether Damage bonuses.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The +Aether% from Disintegration is still applied even with the transmuter. So going 50 Arcanist would be worth the %damage bonus, the crit bonus and about 50-60 spirit. I'd probably drop the healer bird for that and get heals from devotion, and Blood of Dreeg.

If you have a skill, such as a Transmuter, that converts the damage your attack does, then this calculation is performed before any bonuses from other skills, attributes or equipment are considered. Skill modifiers are still applied first. What this means is that if you take a skill that normally deals Aether damage and use Conversion to make it deal Chaos damage instead, then the skill will benefit from % Chaos Damage bonuses instead of % Aether Damage bonuses.
Ok. In this case I changed my build to: http://grimcalc.com/build/fpTloc
Removed Fabric of Reality and invested into Hellfire aura that gives both chaos damage and fire damage.

Healer bird heals faster than Blood of Dreeg. And you don't need to fuck around activating it all the time

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane

The problem with this build is that you end up starving for skill points pretty badly. http://grimcalc.com/build/8MPNmp I avoid going 50/50 in both masteries.
Another variation could be this http://grimcalc.com/build/qlYBwN since mobility with AAR is a big problem, you could go for max Maiven, Blood of Dreeg and Sigil of Consumption so you can just facetank enemies while you blast them.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
My only opinion is this: Good Luck. Making a Cold themed caster is the hardest thing to do in Grim Dawn due to the poor Cold spell representation within the Masteries.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Olexra's seems pretty pointless for a cold damage build. My best guess would be just to go ham with Trozan's. Not exactly purely cold damage, but close enough. It's also pretty easy to support it with Pneumatic Burst's and Iskandra's modifiers.

I'd probably go for something like this:
http://grimcalc.com/build/IiycVP

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
I tried cold mage, but Trozan's is such a bitch to hit stuff with, plus it's on cooldown. Respecced in Calidor Tempest and never looked back.

MrJohnson

Educated
Olexra's seems pretty pointless for a cold damage build. My best guess would be just to go ham with Trozan's. Not exactly purely cold damage, but close enough. It's also pretty easy to support it with Pneumatic Burst's and Iskandra's modifiers.

Cold nova that freezes the entire screen pointless in a cold caster build - why? It's not for damage, it's for CC and debuffing, you can't really spam Trozan all the time so you keep the little shits in check with the nova.

My only opinion is this: Good Luck. Making a Cold themed caster is the hardest thing to do in Grim Dawn due to the poor Cold spell representation within the Masteries.

already played through veteran (didn't even start normal) and it works for me. I 1v1 your Dreeg as soon as the itemization is kinda equal :P

I stalk the night
Patron

Cold nova that freezes the entire screen pointless in a cold caster build - why? It's not for damage, it's for CC and debuffing, you can't really spam Trozan all the time so you keep the little shits in check with the nova.

I see it as more of a supportive skill for fire and physical. 24 points for just the CC feels like a waste. 12 points to Absolute Zero especially. The first point gives you a 20% slow, while 11 skill points only gives 30% more. If you like the CC, do keep it.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

You'd assume incorrectly. In damage calculations conversions are always applied first. Any +Aether% damage would be a complete waste.

So quick theorycraft of this build would be this: http://grimcalc.com/build/QeHXpb

At a glance it seems sound enough. What a painful build to look at, though. 50 Points into Occultist and 40 points into Arcanist. Imagine that 30 levels worth of skill points are spent only on the masteries. Ugh, cannot wait for mods to fix this and bring down to 32 points per mastery.
Or simply wait for the first DLC that will certainly add at least 5 more levels to the cap... 10 maybe :P

MrJohnson

Educated
Another use for the nova: Mine Detector :happytrollboy:

FD7DCA9F32E5DE113DF017FA0D4C37CF4CFE6B02

I see it as more of a supportive skill for fire and physical. 24 points for just the CC feels like a waste. 12 points to Absolute Zero especially. The first point gives you a 20% slow, while 11 skill points only gives 30% more. If you like the CC, do keep it.

Well can't talk about Ultimate difficulty yet (but think it will be pretty much shity dmg), but on veteran it's enough dmg to kill all trash and little yellow enemies (have only 1 point in Absolute Zero atm), so it's a good sweeper atm

1C5CC45EDD65B45F6DC339753ED5159361E8DE87

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The bad thing about frost nova is that its not working when you need most need it. You cannot freeze bosses and some heroes are immune to its effects to.
And after leveling up trozan and devastation it really falls behind at damaging too. Im using it with only 1 point for a secondary oh siht button in ultimate.

made

Arcane
I'm playing a cold caster atm and it's been a breeze all the way through vet. Biggest downside is that it's pretty damn boring.

gestalt11

Arbiter
I thought all Celestial powers were passive upgrades (similar to Skyrim celestial thing).

The constellations withe a reddish star have some sort of power. These cane be EXTREMELY important. Arcane Bomb/Witchblade proc + acid spray is a major stacking -resist debuff. Getting something like Behemoth and Tree of Life heal/regen procs can significantly increase your survivability. Crab has what appears to be a pretty strong block proc but I have not tried it. Tortoise is actually a quite useful proc to get in the early game and can be finished in act 1.

These power are "level" themselves. Low end near center have 20 level, mid tier have 15 and edge one have 10. These powers level via normal XP gain as long as they are slotted onto something. So getting to a power you want early on can be good just to level them up.

Then these powers sound like something I will avoid like plague.

So far, every time I have died, I have felt like "yeah, I let them corner me, I didn't use strategy" and I come back pissed off to take my revenge (and my grave stone..). If these celestial powers make me even harder to die, then fuck that. Right now I have a perfect balance between survival and feeling strong enough as I level up. Celestial bullshit sounds like something that will just make me feel OP.

I'll avoid unlocking any such powers (I was worried about red stars before anyway).

Its not hard to make a build that feel OP for vanilla Normal. Its only somewhat tricky to make one that feels that way for Veteran Normal. But things like say a defensive setup of devotions can be pertty important for Ultimate and/or Elite. Anyway you can change devotions so if you want to just pickup something like choas/aether resist because you are low on them or something you can always swap it later in Elite for a power or whatever. Also some powers are not that strong or only strong for certain builds.

Finally keep in mind you can use devotions to alter some builds. For example putting Arcane Bomb into Aether ray not only make Aether Ray itself better due to -res % of Aether but also adds a 5 meter aoe. This can save you from needing to do something putting points into calidor's tempest for aoe. Although CT + arcane bomb would still be much superior AOE, you can still get good enough AOE with say AB devotion + the two aether damage increases of arcanist.

gestalt11

Arbiter

Yes but if you convert to Chaos you should probably run Posesssion and not Reckless Power. Reckless would only buff the fire part of AR. However RP would give cast speed too which helps AR. Posesssion give 12% damage absorb which put onto pof Maivens should be rather good defense, so I think it would be better. Finally you would absolutely want Witchblade Deovtion which reduces Chaos and Fire resistance and if you can fit it in Acid Spray from manticore will be enhanced by Posession and the enahncer skill of blood of dreeg.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm playing a cold caster atm and it's been a breeze all the way through vet. Biggest downside is that it's pretty damn boring.

The lack of a cold spell specific spammable spell hurts it. You can supplement Trozan with component spells, but they are kinda boring and weak after Normal/Vet. Fire has the same issue although Grenado and Canister Bomb help a lot more than Trozan does. You people building Cold casters should upgrade yourself to a fun style and roll as a Lightning Wizard. Now there is a fun build.

made

Arcane

The lack of a cold spell specific spammable spell hurts it. You can supplement Trozan with component spells, but they are kinda boring and weak after Normal/Vet. Fire has the same issue although Grenado and Canister Bomb help a lot more than Trozan does. You people building Cold casters should upgrade yourself to a fun style and roll as a Lightning Wizard. Now there is a fun build.
Magic missile works well enough. Just hit lvl 50, gonna mop up the last few remaining areas and then head over to elite, maybe respec later.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Facing the red guys on veteran as a shaman. Their debufs are nullifying any defences I may have had. So I have to grind until I find the equipment needed with the necessary resistances or craft it which means I have to grind for materials.
12 types of damage surely were a great idea.

Also I've noticed my briathorn became utterly useless after mid game. It was the same with my occultist pets. Seems like a fine idea to have a pet until mid game and then reset any points you invested there, somewhere else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom