Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gridder terrain rendering

xeenophile

Barely Literate
Hello. I've started my gridder/blobber experiments with an inward facing cube and conditional wall rendering cells and that's certainly sufficient to visualise interiors. When I compare something like Amberland with Islands of the Caliph I feel a sudden urge to... make it a lot more complex. I've also been wondering if it's better to render outward facing or inward facing walls. Both are useful, but I don't want to implement and support both. Obviously inward facing cells are better for interiors. If you want to make a 1 width hallway, you only need to modify one line of cells. With outward facing cells, you'd also need to adjust the neighbouring walls (set texture, render flag etc.). On the other hand, if you want slopes or other non-cuboid terrain and you want to have stairs with walls below them, the neighbouring cells would need to know how to mimick the shape.

I made an inventory of different meshes I would like to procedurally generate and the only practical approach I can think of is to have base geometry exclusively consisting out of inward facing cubes. Additional geometry can be added by inserting an outward facing mesh.

What are your experiences?

Screenshot-2024-04-23-at-18-03-42.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom