Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Greetings Troubleshooters,

roll-a-die

Magister
Please complete the complementary survey.

Remember happiness during the procedings are mandatory, and the fate of the Alpha Complex lies in your hands.

This survey is forbidden for any below RED clearance to participate in.

What is your name Troubleshooter?

Couldn't figure out how to poll and kid hit post before I could figure it out

Choices are,

Randy R-SK7
Sanders R-B6O
Tuesday R-7RA
Space R-T1T

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm sorry, but I'm completely at a loss for what is happening here.

roll-a-die, if you want to make a CYOA LP-thing the take a look at root's wh42k thread to see how to properly introduce people to the setting. You should also take note about presentations of choices.

roll-a-die

Magister
Fine a more introductory post follows.

Was planning on introducing most of this through narrative, as Paranoia is supposed to be, but meh, if you nubs want a high level OOC explanation, fine.

Paranoia is a game with rules and no rules. It's structured unstructured play.

The setting is Alpha Complex, an installation in the far future, or possibly present, under what is currently San Francisco.

Paranoia is a game of PvP and cooperative uncooperation, where you are given a goal by the omnipresent Friend Computer, the divine ruler of Alpha Complex. And are set out to achieve that goal in a manner not unlike a pack of uneducated African child soldiers would. With vast amounts of backstabbing, shooting everyone, and oh shit a dark room what's going to happen to my character this time, am I gonna end up painted purple like last time, or am I going to have a bleeding wound. Friend computer is a paranoid AI, whose main purpose is to officiate the Alpha Complex, and is the supreme ruler in the North Korean Once and Forever sense. He is omnipresent and always watching. Except when he's not.

In Alpha Complex there are security clearance levels, ranging from Infrared which is lowest, to Ultraviolet, with the rainbow running the range between them. People of a lower clearance level can't do anything with another clearance levels color, and everything is recognizable by color. Infrareds cannot go out of infrared(I think it's basically a blackish red in universe) zones, can't wear any other color clothing, and can't get in the way of anyone of a higher clearance color. Same for reds, Oranges, Yellows, Greens, Blues, and Violets. Ultraviolets are the untouchables and interfering with one metes out the highest punishment possible, death and being sticken from the clone pool. Many other things mete out that punishment as well.

Your name is a given name followed by a group of letters indicating the security clearance, followed by the general location within Alpha Complex you live at. Infrareds have no technical clearance so they lack the security indictor. When people refer to you, they refer to you by given name security letter.

IE
Yaar-R
Or Keenan-R
Or Roy-G
Or Kell-O
Or Jesus-U

In the main game you play a troubleshooter, an Infrared who recently snitched on a CommieMutantTraitor, and has been elevated into the Clearance of RED the hitch is they themselves are a Mutant and/or Traitor and/or Commie, in someway.

So the game become finding out how the other players are traitorous, what their mutant power is, what their goal is, and attempt to subvert them at every step.

Alpha Complex is the highly corporatized, highly controlled, highly restricted, hugely PARANOID place our Russian dexers, who have been alive longer than 30 years were warned about when people talked about the US. Everything is branded, everything is controlled by a corporation or the state, and everyone is happy because happiness is mandatory.

Honestly though do you go into an RPG like fallout, with the assumption of, OH I NEED TO CREATE A CHARACTER, I BETTER READ THE ENTIRETY OF THE VAULT SO I CAN MAKE EDUCATED DECISION?

In Paranoia, if you know anything about the universe, you hold that back, in the assumption that the GM will kill your character for knowing too much. If you let slip that you know what Ultraviolet clearance is, or that they are called High Programmers, or that their function is to fix bugs in Friend Computer, your GM will kill you.

Anyway, the premise is simple, it's a choose your own adventure where you react to my plot, and I react to your choices. Occasionally I will give a call for submissions, this will be a point where I call on people to PM me with ideas for something that a happens, this will typically be the dark room moments, of which I will implement the best 2-4 of, with myself, some of my gaming friends in RL and a few others on the internet I've met up with being the judges. Currently the story is focusing a Red Clearance Troubleshooter. You folks are making him, right now, so get to voting.

As a bonus, here's the next 3 polls.

What is your branch of service?
1. Armed Forces(Millitary)[You use guns]
2. Happiness Police Department{You enforce happiness laws, also propaganda}
3. Internal Security[GOING TO EXPLAIN IN NARRATIVE IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT THIS IS, ONLY IF IT'S CHOSEN]
4. Technical Services{you work as tech support and make sure everything is working properly)

Pick a number, from the ones below?

What about a color, Note citizen, color codes are disregard for the purposes of the question?

1. Fuscia like the kind heart of Friend Computer
2. Orangello, like the crass color of that one banned snack food that everyone hated, but gave you a wicked trip if you mixed it with Crunchy Crusty Crackle Crackers.
3. Red, like the color of a bat meeting someones skull and blood spraying out.
4. Blue, like the ocean bro, you never seen the ocean, bro. it's like completely flat and unmoving from all directions, bro, I heard about it from my bro, bro?
5. Grey, like the color of the security bots.
6. White, the color of nothing and everything.

roll-a-die

Magister
Polls:

Branch:
Happiness Police Department

Number: 13

Color? What do you mean, starting clearance?
It's best if the players don't know what they mean, though some have probably taken the hint.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks for explanation! I haven't heard of this game at all before this. Could be fun. My choices are:

Tuesday R-7RA

Technical Services

Fuchsia

laclongquan

Arcane
Space R-T1T because tech weenie's humour is unsubtle like that

4. Technical Services

1. Fuscia like the kind heart of Friend Computer - because I dont want this computer to murder me. and brownosing your computer is old trick.

roll-a-die

Magister
Your name is Tuesday, you've always been a little off, just happy enough to fake a satisfactory level of happiness, never unhappy enough to warrant happiness retraining. You're life began as a natural born clone, one of the few made by actual intermixing of DNA, from your parents. So you've always been an odd one out, most of the other clones in the creches were just copies of other alpha clones. One day when you were around 12, your father walked into the clone creches, and taught you a valuable lesson. Always be so happy you could just explode, he then blew himself up in a happysplosion happiness grenade, cradling you to his chest. You survived miraculously. Your father then disappeared entirely from your life, the theory between your friends and the fantastic people your crechemates called pig headed morons. Was that he used a red class grenade not an infrared one to do it and was thus branded a traitor, and either had his clone line suspended or he was placed into Happiness Happitastic Reeducation Training. Anyway, you were introduced by a friend to some awesome people after that. Father Kais R-INU, is your priest, you were told the legends of the knights of our Lord Christ Friend Computer, the Troubleshooters, you were also taught how to pose for the yearly calender, and how to operate a camera to shoot the happitastic funtastic sexytime films for Kais R. Shortly thereafter you managed to realize your robodog, who you bought after the happisplosion of your father to keep you at optimum happiness, was one of our lord Friend Computers most vile enemies, a Corpore Mechanus, who was attempting to get his consciousness embedded in a green level citizens head.

This made you a holy knight, a troubleshooter, one of Christs soldiers against the decline of the alpha complex, against the CommieMutantTraitors, and the against the forces aligned against your lord in heaven. Your first day you are given a laser pistol grip with no barrel, a set of red reflec armor, and a brief course on marksmanship. Shortly thereafter you were given a paintball gun, and a task from your service firm, you are to mark improperly colored things for recoloring. Sometimes paintchips happen, sometimes there's a violet colored pipe in a infrared area. You've been given the task of marking these so the bots nearby can repaint them. You have 2 for every clearance, which is strange, because you aren't supposed to touch the holier colors. In addition you have the holy computerfix around your neck the only symbol of your faith you choose to wear generally. It's best if that stays below your armor, the Church is a secret society and thus isn't allowed generally. Though most times in respect to the good the church does, they are met with simple smacks on the wrists. The church has given you a task to hold at least one sermon, and will reward you with 200 credits per every sermon you hold in red security areas.

After a short rest from the ardors of your training, you receive a call on your PDC, "Friend Computer wants to meet you in the S3X district at Long Johns Ye Olde Suicide Boothe, the pass code will be "We are Illuminated!"," and then silence. You find it strange that they'd use obvious society codephrases, so when you get there, you

A: Use the given codephrase, after all Jesus knows everything about you, so he'd know you aren't an Illuminatus.
B: Arrive at the suicide booth, and simply ask for friend computer, claim you forgot the phrase.
C: Avoid the meeting entirely, after all Kais R is doing a sermon today.

laclongquan

Arcane
A: Use the given codephrase, after all Jesus knows everything about you, so he'd know you aren't an Illuminatus.

The first step toward solving a bug is to replicate that bug. Even if this smell slightly of Trojans and Nigerian spams, you still need to step into it first.

Kz3r0

Arcane
C: Avoid the meeting entirely, after all Kais R is doing a sermon today.

Someone wants us dead.
Also, what's the clearance for the S3X district at Long Johns Ye Olde Suicide Boothe, are we allowed there?

oscar

Arcane
Sounds pretty suspicious. Could easily get us killed under pretext of being Illuminati. But what the hell, A

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
C.

Almost seems like all options lead to death. May as well take the option that doesn't involve entering a suicide booth.

Well, I would prefer going to the suicide booth, starting preaching in front of it. Try to get people so wind up that they will, on my command, enter the booth and utter the phrase. I would stay outside and see what happens.

Failing that, C

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hmm, tough choice.

Ah well, why the heck not. Let's be a fool and rush in. A!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom