Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Greatest moment in a cRPG

Fritz Haber

Educated
PS:T
-the sensory stones, lovely
-the woman you meet in the beginning, driven mad by the invisible doors of Sigil
-the tomb of TNO
-the talk with the three other incarnations
-reaching the fortress

FO2
-starting up the tanker
-talk to the president
-New Reno (specifically taking the cheat out to Golgotha)
-old military base

FO1
-the glow
-the church

VtM:B
-every talk with LaCroix
-meeting Gary the first time
-tons of cool stuff, playing as a malk

BG:
-Baldur's Gate itself
-revisiting Candlekeep

BG2:
-Drow city/the whole of the Underdark
-finale in HELL

TOB:
-Watcher's Keep

Morrowind:
-finding the cave of Azura
-meeting Vivec, the god of blowhard bureaucrats
-having to work for my chosen-one status

Yggdrasil

Educated
Forgot to mention:
MM 7:
- the moment when the sorcerer of my party from a smooth skinned sexy girl turned into a lich

Dark Elf

Erudite
When I first talked to Geoffrey Tarrelond Ashe in Arcanum. Perhaps not an overly spectacular moment all in all, but it was just something with the way the guy talked that captured the whole Victorian steampunk setting for me.

First entering Hommlet in ToEE. The game itself may not have been too impressive, but the atmosphere built up by the opening and reaching the village is a moment I'll always remember.

betamin

Learned
PST: When TNO remembers his name

BG2: The first time I saw a dragon, the ending with the great music

Dungeon Crawl SS: Being a hunter without ammo and desperatly searching for it while having to survive with underdeveloped melee skills and finally making it is priceless

Deus Ex: When you pick up a random phone ringing, the first time I saw the grays

FO2: The den and killing the slavers

Divine Divinity: An entire friendly army randomly turning against me, going throught the whole orc army to finish the objective

Bobtheblob

Novice
These RPG moments brought to you by A.I.'s:

-Talking to the Morpheus computer in Deus Ex.

-Playing Chess with the Mainframe in the Glow leaving and instantly dying of rad poisoning.

-Finding out what the 4 Cards were for in U-3 - Exodus

-The stories of HK-47 former masters

-System Shock 2 when you discover the true nature of your guide

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
PS:T has loads of them, but I won't mention any of them.

Fallout 1 and 2 had some good ones, but I won't mention them either.

Ditto for BG1/BG2.

Instead I'll mention some moments from less-discussed games:

Fallout Tactics: The Riddick encounter. It's one of the most enjoyable parts of the game, alongside the St. Louis and Kansas City missions.

Icewind Dale:

# Listening to Kresslack.

# Finding Nym, and realising his part in the fall of the Severed Hand.

Ultima 7, Part 2:

# The endgame. You've gone so far and done so much, gained lost friends and lost old friends, and as the Avatar just floats there in the Void you learn what all of that effort was for...

Ultima 8:

# Talking to Stellos after taking the Breath of Air. :twisted:

Anachronox:

# "Did that robot just talk smack to me?"

# Landing on Democratus the second time with Stiletto in your party. Her section on Democratus is plays out exactly like the scene with Leia and the Ewoks in ROTJ, except the Ewoks are the bad guys here. Cue furry mayhem.

# Sly dancing in the bar. :shock:

Plus loads others.

QFG5:

# Finally completing one of the best game series ever made...and declining the grand prize.

Eye Of The Beholder 2:

# Meeting...and beating Dran Dragore, only to watch him reveal his true form. Bricks were shat. Party members died. Doors were closed to try to hide from Dran, only to see him break down the door before killing my party dead.

Final Fantasy VII:

# Watching Emerald Weapon going up against the Junon main battery gun...

Moments mentioned by others:

When I first talked to Geoffrey Tarrelond Ashe in Arcanum. Perhaps not an overly spectacular moment all in all, but it was just something with the way the guy talked that captured the whole Victorian steampunk setting for me.

I remember him. He was a good character.

Ultima Underworld :

i absolutely loved the level where you could learn the lizardmen language in order to communicate with them to get further. quests like these where you actually have to think for a while simply dont exist in modern RPGs anymore.

This reminds me of another awesome moment: Playing Arx Fatalis and realising that the language the Sisterhood was speaking was...the aforementioned lizardmen language from Ultima Underworld. :D

NWN HOTU: Using the Final Boss's last name against him as a weapon.

Agreed. A little anti-climatic, but awesome nonetheless.

madbringer

Arcane
I'll just list locations instead of particular moments. Really great locations, as a whole, are hard to conceive and i find i enjoy them much more than singular moments, however great they might be. Well, most of the time. So:

The Dunwich building quest in Fallout 3.

Oceanside Hotel and Dr. Grout's mansion in Bloodlines.

OceanLab and the hotel escape scene with Paul in Deus Ex (i had tears in my eyes when i found out he died :( ).

The Glow in Fallout.

The Guardian of Forever special encounter in Fallout 2.

Spellhold in Baldur's Gate 2.

Charwood Village in Neverwinter Nights.

This is almost impossible for me to answer. There are so many memories for me when it comes to CRPG's, so I tried the "what comes to mind first off the bat".

Five games are vivid at the moment. Others probably would be if someone said a game name, but these will do.

Wasteland: Getting the spiel from the evil AI in Base Cochise, then setting the self destruct button and fleeing while the countdown ticks off. I finally found a way out, with one second to spare, in a working escape pod.

Magic Candle 1: remaking Dreax's candle at the end. Great ending to this one, and a hell of a journey to get there.

Deathlord: Defeating the game. Seriously, it took me years to finally get all the items and passwords, and slog through one of the toughest dungeons I have seen at the end...before battling with the Deathlord. What a dog that was. Then, I rest afterwards, and find the dungeon has repopulated! HA! But, this is an old school game, and in old school games, you are adventurers usually, not chosen ones; you are in it for the money/titles/glory. So, I had to take old DL's head back to the Emperor to get my money and 'choice lands' I was promised.

Legacy of the Ancients: Not sure why this one popped into my mind so quickly. It was a good game, but plenty of others grabbed me more than this one. The ending was especially fun, finding my way through the Warlords citadel, killing the bastard off and (again) having to get out before the whole place came crashing down around my ears. Yes, this was timed so you could fail unlike most 'timed' quests these days where everything waits for the player.

Ultima IV: Discovering the way the game expected certain behaviours, where everything before (and mostly afterwards) allowed a player to loot, pillage and basically be much more of a murderer and a thief than the Evil Foozle waiting patiently in its castle to be slain. Revolutionary at the time.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS

ULTIMA VII THE BEGGINING THE WAY THEY SET THE STORY UP WITH THE MURDER MYSTERY THAN TURNED YOU LOOSE

THE ENDING OF FALLOUT THAT WAS A LESSON ON HOW NOT TO BE A BRO

kris

Arcane
hiver said:
Going into Glow for the first time.

Possibly my number one moment.

- Being hunted by a PK guy for 25 minutes in Ultima online. Never forget.

- final battle in curse of the zure bonds. Was a huge room smack full of guys.

- Making a character in Arcanum, it was pure joy.

No time to write more right now.

Ghoulem

Erudite
It's hard for me to pinpoint any special moment in a cRPG, because what I usually like about them is the general feel. The backdrop of it all that immerses me into the game. The sense of exploration and massive lore from Morrowind, the well-done characters of Bloodlines, the story of Arcanum.

I don't know what is the greatest moment. I guess it would be the next time I can sit down and feel like that about a game again.

nomask7

Arcane
My first encounter with a group of bloodflies in NotR. For a long time whenever I ran into them they would send cold shivers of terror down my spine. Truly disgusting creatures, ugly looking, poisonous and difficult for a noob to beat or even avoid (and the sound effects, ugh). I never wanted to even get near them.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
'The Polito lifeform is dead... are you afraid?' - Nothing can beat this for me. Everytime I see something titled 'most memorable moments in gaming', this immediately comes to mind.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"FEEEEETUS!! SHAAATUPPP!!

Seriously, Volleyball, you and me, we need to talk some day."

WUT!?!

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not an rpg but...

Loom: Making a Dragon hoard turn into hay, and then setting fire to it while the dragon is still sitting on it. Then later switching clothes with another dude so that the pissed dragon eats him instead.

Silellak

Cipher
BLOBERT said:
ULTIMA VII THE BEGGINING THE WAY THEY SET THE STORY UP WITH THE MURDER MYSTERY THAN TURNED YOU LOOSE
Don't you mean kidnapping mystery? :smug:

But yeah, Ultima VII and Serpent Isle have a lot of my most memorable moments:

- The first time hearing the Guardian's voice blaring through your speakers in-game. First time I'd experienced anything like that in a video game.
- Crafting the Black Sword in Forge of Virtue
- Pretty much everything in Forge of Virtue, really
- Using said Black Sword to kill Lord British
- Casting Armageddon, then talking to Batlin and Lord British afterward
- Abandoning Britannia by going through the Black Gate instead of destroying it
- Learning the history of Serpent Isle, including references to Ultima I, like Shamino's old kingdom
- The death of Batlin and the whole "Banes" storyline, including the heart-wrenching (at least for long-time Ultima fans) conclusion
- Time traveling in the Silver Seed

jonnypolen

Liturgist
The first time Fallout 1 really got me hooked. I had started playing the game several times before without really getting into it. Then one day in maybe 2002 i suddenly got it, and I was blown away.

It is depressing to know that I will propably never have that feeling of awe again (not in regards to a computer game, anyway).

Also: Honorable mention to the lich quest in MM7.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Darth Roxor said:
'The Polito lifeform is dead... are you afraid?' - Nothing can beat this for me. Everytime I see something titled 'most memorable moments in gaming', this immediately comes to mind.

It's "form", not "lifeform".
And I think the full sentence goes "The Polito form is dead, insect. Are you afraid?"

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Elwro said:
when the bitch died

That is such a genius post from Elwro, I hope it didn't go by everyone's head, and didn't know he turned into an edgy one-liner asshole, but if so I approve heartily. Especially in the threads that generate the most discussion, is where the one-liners are the most needed

bhlaab

Erudite
-The Jeanette/Therese reveal in Vampire:Bloodlines. Not because it was particularly surprising or anything. I saw it coming a mile away. What I didn't see coming, though, was that both characters ended up revealing quite a bit of depth with "one" of them having an incestuous relationship with their father and the "other one" blaming her for allowing it to happen. It really added a lot to what could have been just a wacky character having a wacky moment and turning it into "which one of them is the real one? who the hell was this person before they became a crazy vampire?" When I ended up choosing jeanette to be the survivor I was struck again by how the wacky character said to me "you'll visit, right? I get so lonely up here..." That was pretty much when I realized "This game doesn't have Typical Video Game Writing does it?" and fell in love with it. The ending did not disappoint, either. I love the idea of a game just completely deconstructing its entire plot in the last 5 minutes.
As a kind of faggy aside, I did end up visiting Jeanette every time I went back to santa montica and only partially because I thought she might have another quest for me.

-The ending to both Fallout games. Something about playing Maybe and A Kiss to Build a Dream On over the credits really gets to me. It's just perfect for reflecting on everything you've done through the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom