Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Great Abandonware Website

sheek

Arbiter
http://www.myabandonware.com/browse/gen ... ing-rpg-5/

Ten pages of games, including many less popular ones which I've never seen on another website + a fuckton of sci-fi.

Downloading this...
starflight-2-trade-routes-of-the-cloud-nebula_3.png

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
NOOOOOO! I downloaded Phantasie, but it doesn't seem to run with DosBOX. Am I living in retardoland and there's something obvious I'm missing to make it work? I last played this game when I was I think TEN so slack needs to be cut.

sheek

Arbiter
Phantasie 1?

Works fine for me. You got the latest version of DosBox? Should be supported from v 0.58 onward according to the website.

Oh, and there seem to be problems with DosBox and Vista.

Luzur

Good Sir
Oh, and there seem to be problems with DosBox and Vista.

what? i have Vista Ultimate and ive had no problems at all with DOSbox.

i got all the Phantasie games for C64 and Amiga, no PC though, otherwise i could have uploaded it from the original discs.

Elzair

Cipher
BTW, does anyone know where I can download the SSI Goldbox games? Sarinee has still not relinked the games at HOTU. Since I live in the US, I am trying to avoid torrents.

Luzur

Good Sir
why? US got a IPRED law aswell?

Abandonia: the 3 Krynn games and unlimited adventures.

Myabandonware: Gateway to the savage frontier, hillsfar.

but you best bet is to google around and you will find them all eventually.

or i could simply give you a zip file with them all for DOS (wizardworks AD&D Collectors Edition )

sheek

Arbiter
So what? It has a lot of stuff that specialized abandonware sites like abandonia don't have and it doesn't pretend to be a comprehensive abandonware site, it seems to be a random file hosting service like download.com

For instance, have you ever heard of this Conan RPG?

screenshot2525-2.png

Conan - The Cimmerian is an action-adventure game with some RPG elements.
Gameplay consists of exploration and combat. The exploration element in the game sets Conan to find his way around towns and hidden locations, often breaking in houses and searching the premises for hidden loot. Towns consist of various places to visit, among others temples which usually offer quests, shops offering weapons and other items, and inns to stay for a health boost. NPC’s may be conversed with to seek information, while the tougher-looking types may be provoked into combat.

http://games.holyfile.com/?Conan-TheCim ... nload/2525

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Yes I have. Unlike many children born in the eighties I actually received education on a great number of topics. I'm no genius but I am not a stranger to literature, music, comics and games. The rpg elements in that game are not much to speak about by the way and I would hesitate to even bring it up when discussing genre hybrids.

As for the site, I have extremely high standards. If something is worth doing, it's worth doing it right. I have problems with Abandonia as well, particularly their reviewers, but I can ignore them most of the time.

Luzur

Good Sir
its more like a sidescroller then a RPG.
Unlike many children born in the eighties I actually received education on a great number of topics. I'm no genius but I am not a stranger to literature, music, comics and games.

eh? so if you are born in the 80's you are dumb as a rock? :?

Hegel

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
Yes I have. Unlike many children born in the eighties I actually received education on a great number of topics. I'm no genius but I am not a stranger to literature, music, comics and games. The rpg elements in that game are not much to speak about by the way and I would hesitate to even bring it up when discussing genre hybrids.

As for the site, I have extremely high standards. If something is worth doing, it's worth doing it right. I have problems with Abandonia as well, particularly their reviewers, but I can ignore them most of the time.
You're a horse, stop lying, you're not going to blend into human society.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Luzur said:
its more like a sidescroller then a RPG.
Unlike many children born in the eighties I actually received education on a great number of topics. I'm no genius but I am not a stranger to literature, music, comics and games.

eh? so if you are born in the 80's you are dumb as a rock? :?
Absolutely. I am the only intelligent man born in the eighties. I also have a reasonably firm grasp on topics such as irony, sarcasm and teasing.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Andyman Messiah said:
Absolutely. I am the only intelligent man born in the eighties. I also have a reasonably firm grasp on topics such as irony, sarcasm and teasing.

Do you even have a single fact to back this up?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Gragt said:
Andyman Messiah said:

In a truly intelligent and civilized society, a horse have nothing to gain by lying about anything. You can take my word for it, safely knowing that I would only lie if that position would prove more comfortable than standing.

sheek

Arbiter
Andyman Messiah said:
I'm no genius
Straight from the horse's mouth.

Also, yes the Conan game doesn't look great (though I've downloaded it just to see) but it seems to be an Action RPG. No stats (even if you can learn various skills) but otherwise pretty typical CRPG by most definitions except those of Planescape fags.

sheek

Arbiter
Andyman Messiah said:
Gragt said:
Andyman Messiah said:

In a truly intelligent and civilized society, a horse have nothing to gain by lying about anything. You can take my word for it, safely knowing that I would only lie if that position would prove more comfortable than standing.
houyhnhnm.jpg

Are you a fan of Gulliver's Travels?

sheek

Arbiter
So what do you recommend?

Tried Bloodnet and Hard Nova so far, unfortunately the sound isn't working and there are no readmes/install guides. Also, BloodNet looks like a point-and-click fest adventure which I don't like. Hard Nova looks great... get the manual off replacementdocs.

I don't mind fantasy or sci-fi really.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Interesting site. I never knew Dragon Lord existed on the PC.

But if people like the ESA bother to look at that site, they'll close it down ASAP. AFAIK, not one game associated with the old Sierra On-Line is abandonware.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
A funny thing happened yesterday when I was sitting on the toilet: shit started to come out of my ass, and that rocked me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom