Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Graphics =/= Art Direction

Black Cat

Magister
"So, what was I saying? Right: STFU and keep sucking."

You were saying that you fail and are an humongous retard. :3

Let's review.

"Art direction as a term as has always been about the management of visual aspects/aesthetics and nothing else. Music, setting, lore etc. You are just making shit up now."

By saying Aspects / Aesthetics as you did and hoped it to be understood you are considering aspects and aesthetics concepts close enough to be almost interchangeable without further contextual elaboration, which as i shown by the very definition of aesthetics is ridiculous as they have no relationship at all.

I'm sorry to have overestimated you to the point I believed you were aware of this and meant to say visual aspects as being interchangeable with aesthetics, which is still stupid but a common misconception. And notice the context actually reinforces my interpretation while does nothing at all for yours, as it implies no reason why aspects and aesthetics should be considered related and interchangeable. It's not my fault even I know better than that.

So STFU and keep getting ass rammed. :3

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Ah, and I though this was another thread about AP and I'm surprised it's not mentioned because its one of the most glaring examples of mediocre graphics + crappy art direction.

And i'll have to disagree about DA, It had mediocre graphics and mediocre art direction and I'll have to say that the graphics were actually worse than the art-dir. Old looking engine, terrible low res textures, many reused models/buildings and bland environments due to the fact that the game is still using a lot of tiles.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
1eyedking said:
You may know the difference raco, but lots of others do not. Always remember: RPG Codex is not a learning animal.

Also this is one of those posts I always wanted to make so that in posterity whenever a dumbfuck labels me or anyone who appreciates art direction in games as a graphics whore I can refer him here.

Shut the fuck up you tosser.

1eyedking

Erudite
ghostdog said:
Ah, and I though this was another thread about AP and I'm surprised it's not mentioned because its one of the most glaring examples of mediocre graphics + crappy art direction.
There are thousands of examples of bad art direction.

Alpha Protocol, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age (all BioWare games, as a matter of fact), Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights 2 (including Mask of the Betrayer), Eschalon, Depths of Peril, Wizardry 8, etc.

CrimHead

Scholar
Possibly the best combination of art design and technically advanced graphics I've seen in a game is Morrowind with MGE. Absolutely stunning architecture and landscapes. Hell, Morrowind un-modded has some of the best art design I've ever seen. Next to that I'd say any of the IE games in widescreen.

Also, as an addendum, and because I nowhere have else to put this, sometimes I think "bad" graphics can sometimes increase a games aesthetic value. For example, I find the 2d sprites operating in 3d environments in Daggerfall extremely eerie and unnatural looking. It almost has a... how should I put this... Geometric perversity about it. This might be one of the reasons I'm still so frightened by the enemies in that game even to this day.

Another example of this is the talking heads in Fallout. The uncanny valley at work if I've ever seen it! But it really helps alienate the player from all the characters imo, thus reinforcing the "stranger in a strange world" feeling so integral to exploration in open world rpgs.

1eyed, can you give something a little...older as a bad example? Preferably a game that gets the nod rather than something rubbish. Hard to debate when you haven't played the Bad game in question (Dragon Age).

Fallout was '97/'98 so how about something around that time, was a good RPG, yet has, according to your principles, bad art direction. Explain what is bad about it as well.

1eyedking

Erudite
A bad art direction RPG from '97/'98? Eh, there weren't that many RPGs at that time save for Fallout & Baldur's Gate. Those were the supposed "saviors" that brought by a golden era of CRPGs that lasts to this day, or so they say, though if that's the case then obviously one of them was definitely more influential than the other. Anyway, let me see:

All Final Fantasy games jRPGs, NO EXCEPTIONS: Japanese developers have terribly bad taste*
Wizardry VII
Wizardry 8
Darkstone
Ultima IX

*: except maybe Tactics Ogre. Funny since it's a heavily western influenced jRPG. What a coincidence.

Last edited:

denizsi

Arcane
Clueless Codexers making shit up and playing semantics on terms long established by the industry...

Nothing new. The usual morons.

Sorry boys, "art direction" is an established term that has almost nothing to do with your bullshit. And nice try dodging, Black Cat. Now go back to sucky sucky.

Higher Game

Arcane
1eyedking said:
All Final Fantasy games jRPGs, NO EXCEPTIONS: Japanese developers have terribly bad taste

No. Japanese games that avoid animetardation usually have very good art direction.

1eyedking

Erudite
Higher Game said:
No. Japanese games that avoid animetardation usually have very good art direction.
Examples, please. Good jRPGs are a myth for me so if you can point me to material of caliber I'd be very thankful. Nevertheless, I seriously doubt your words.

@ 1eyedking

"Examples, please."

Since you were talking of art direction all links are to trailers.

Demon's Soul and the King's Field games. If the former's style were a boy my boyfriend would be in trouble, actually. I love it.

Also, would you consider Baroque, Vagrant Story, or Digital Devil Saga to be anime like? I leave those to your own will and your own definition of what anime is, though they are not standard anime styles at any rate.

And while not a role playing game by any possible interpretation, Shadow of the Colossus eats lesser art designs, western and eastern, for breakfast. Ico does too.

I can give some more if you want. Outside of anime style Japan does truly beautiful surreal and pseudo gothic stuff.

Edity Edit:

I almost forgot Kuzunoha Raidou. You may like it or you may not, but you can't say it's standard anime style. Also, Koudelka, though later Shadow Hearts games are more anime like.

Jesus, so many pwetty games to replay or to finish.

StrangeCase

Educated
Sorry boys, "art direction" is an established term that has almost nothing to do with your bullshit.

Established by who? When?

I remember when a friend of mine loaned me a PS2 game, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. He specifically said the art direction was fantastic, and I didn't know anything about the game, so I popped it in and watched the intro. Here's a youtube link:

Intro Sequence

I was like "Hey, that was actually pretty cool. Maybe he's onto something."

And then the game itself started. Dear God.

1eyedking

Erudite
Old Degenerate Priest said:
@ 1eyedking

"Examples, please."

Since you were talking of art direction all links are to trailers.

Demon's Soul and the King's Field games. If the former's style were a boy my boyfriend would be in trouble, actually. I love it.

Also, would you consider Baroque, Vagrant Story, or Digital Devil Saga to be anime like? I leave those to your own will and your own definition of what anime is, though they are not standard anime styles at any rate.

And while not a role playing game by any possible interpretation, Shadow of the Colossus eats lesser art designs, western and eastern, for breakfast. Ico does too.

I can give some more if you want. Outside of anime style Japan does truly beautiful surreal and pseudo gothic stuff.
That's the best there is? Because holy shit, they all sucked. Oversized weapons? Oversized shields? Modern-day haircuts? Pretentious generic background epic choruses? Aesthetic mish-mash of gothic, low medieval, and renaissance periods? They were all like every jRPG anime Japanese thing ever made. Buildings that make you go "how the fuck were they able to place that there", and "why did they build it like that instead of something more functional". Generic characters (a child with a viking helmet LOLZ). Generic scenarios (zombies in caves, flying takes of ultra-gigantic castles, etc.). Truly no thought placed into the world whatsoever.

And yes, I consider those three you mentioned to be anime-like, just from taking a look at the dialogue, the haircuts, and the armor design amount of belts, straps, and gratuitous flaring abs the characters display. You can spot what token stereotype they'll portray in the game just by looking at them for 2 secs. Boring.

Japanese people have no creativity. Zero. Nada. Nichts. Rien. They should have bombed the fuck out of that island entirely.

Sure, you may not like it but it is nothing like anime which was your point. Anime isn't everything that is japanese, it is a style with its own signatures and tropes, which all i showed you doesn't has. I'm not saying you have to like it, i'm saying it's not what it's usually refered as anime.

In any case, where are your examples of less generic art styles? I'm all eyes. I have shown you several examples of truly non generic stuff (duh, Baroque and the Avatar Turner saga). Now you do, i'm waiting. :wink:

"Aesthetic mish-mash of gothic, low medieval, and renaissance periods?"

As opposed to, say, romantized middle age europe again? Someone takes elements of diferent real world periods and mixes them up to make something up and it is generic, someone makes generic fantasy plus racism plus generic fantasy monsters and it is not? Lord almighty.

"how the fuck were they able to place that there"

Are you conscious all i linked was on the surreal side, right? Look, Baroque has impossible architecture to go along the imposible and nightmarish everything else. So daring. :shock:

"a child with a viking helmet LOLZ"

You mean ICO? :shock: Sorry, i thought this was a serious talk with someone who knew what the fuck he was talking about. Move along, then.

"the haircuts"

Rastas and high pig tails are the weirder haircuts on those videos. You are argentinian, right? Go to Alterna some day, as if i don't recall it wrong you are near Baires' downtown, and take a look at the haircuts and the colors, and tell me again that kind of thing is anime like. And that's pretty run of the mill stuff for nowadays.

"gratuitous flaring abs the characters display"

Like every western fantasy hero, like, ever?

"You can spot what token stereotype they'll portray in the game just by looking at them for 2 secs."

Point at them, i'm all ears. I played all those games i linked to so i can tell you if you are right or wrong, and i can't lie since many others here also have.

"Pretentious generic background epic choruses?"

As opposed to every western role playing game ever? God, the outrage.

"Truly no thought placed into the world whatsoever."

:shock: Do you actually understand Digital Devil Saga is a two game long play on hindu cosmology and the entirety of Baroque is symbolic of something or another that happens in the ridiculously weird plot, right? That's the definition of having thought behind it. Naturally, you would know that if you weren't just throwing opinions around like if they were some kind of fact. :?

"(zombies in caves, flying takes of ultra-gigantic castles, etc.)"

The Witcher called, it wants his zombie infested caves and flying takes of huge castles back.

StrangeCase

Educated
Any opinions on WoW's art direction? I see it get singled out by people all the time, positively and negatively. I've only ever seen it played; I remember thinking the environments and animations were pretty good, but my coworker's character was decked out in some of the most stupid-ass gear I've ever seen portrayed in any media.

yaster

Liturgist
Bring back anime avatars! And somebody let's play that Vagrant Story thing, quick!

also:

Denizsi is right. (In games) Art Direction is about visuals only. It is established term. By community/developers/industry or whoever has control over such definitions and not by some poorfuck over some shitty negligible forum. It's derivative from other media, most probably film. In there AD is also about visuals, in fact not whole aspect of visuals, costumes seems to be excluded (don't ask me if it troo or whhy, I don't claim having knowledge in such matter).

There is already consensus in this matter. Redefining it only leads to faggy Babel Tower. If you want make one, so be it, I won't interfere, I don't give a fuck enough. Though I suggest some other name, like: Artistic Direction, Creative Direction (after job title not so well established) or ert diserection (as that would be the most descriptive name for the thing you want to define).

1eyedking

Erudite
Old Degenerate Priest said:
Sure, you may not like it but it is nothing like anime which was your point. Anime isn't everything that is japanese, it is a style with its own signatures and tropes, which all i showed you doesn't has. I'm not saying you have to like it, i'm saying it's not what it's usually refered as anime.
This is the supposed "wide range of modern Anime" characters. They all sport the same exaggerated over-design lacking purpose and direction.

And 75% of them lack noses. And I bet you 100% of those only move their mouths when they speak, without wincing a single wrinkle (except at key emotional moments, such as when they lower their heads and smirk to themselves as a hair lock drops and covers them in a mysterious shadowy gradient).

In any case, where are your examples of less generic art styles? I'm all eyes. I have shown you several examples of truly non generic stuff (duh, Baroque and the Avatar Turner saga). Now you do, i'm waiting. :wink:
Fallout vs. Thief vs. Stronghold vs. StarCraft vs. Diablo vs. Deus Ex vs. The Witcher vs. Icewind Dale vs. ...

Honestly, where the fuck are yours?

As opposed to, say, romantized middle age europe again? Someone takes elements of diferent real world periods and mixes them up to make something up and it is generic, someone makes generic fantasy plus racism plus generic fantasy monsters and it is not? Lord almighty.
Generic fantasy? As far as I can tell Dwarves aren't toiling away in the depths of faraway mountains nor are Elves nonchalantly watching humanity crumble while they flop around in cities made on treetops.

Racism? First time around a fantasy setting besides the tired "Dwarves vs. Elves" dispute or the color-coded "Drow vs. Non-drow" shit D&D throws around.

Generic fantasy monsters? Try reading the bestiary's descriptions next time.

Are you conscious all i linked was on the surreal side, right? Look, Baroque has impossible architecture to go along the imposible and nightmarish everything else. So daring. :shock:
It's OK if surrealism explains monsters, hallucinations, and a twisted take at basic structures; maybe the facade of a certain building if your character were falling into insanity, but from what those trailers showed "surrealism" is just a pathetic excuse for GRAND MAJESTIC IMPOSSIBLE CASTLES CONSTRUCTED IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE

That, and oversized boss monsters for epic boss fights.

You mean ICO? :shock: Sorry, i thought this was a serious talk with someone who knew what the fuck he was talking about. Move along, then.
Yes. Your point is...?

Rastas and high pig tails are the weirder haircuts on those videos. You are argentinian, right? Go to Alterna some day, as if i don't recall it wrong you are near Baires' downtown, and take a look at the haircuts and the colors, and tell me again that kind of thing is anime like. And that's pretty run of the mill stuff for nowadays.
Gothic, low medieval, and Renaissance men and women didn't sport those haircuts. Take a look at painted portraits from that time to see what I mean; and even then those were just the nobles.

Like every western fantasy hero, like, ever?
Did JC Denton flash abs? The Vault Dweller? Diablo's warrior? StarCraft's Jim Raynor? Hell, Indiana Jones? Luke Skywalker?

Comic book superheroes wore costumes, yes, some of them skintight, but didn't have their lower-torso clothes missing on purpose last time I remembered.

Point at them, i'm all ears. I played all those games i linked to so i can tell you if you are right or wrong, and i can't lie since many others here also have.
Corageous Young Hero with Dark Past/Weakness; Mysterious Nonchalant Veteran Villain (with Dark Past/Weakness). Maybe I should tag some trademarks on both to avoid possible lawsuits...

As opposed to every western role playing game ever? God, the outrage.
Fallout had no chorus.
Diablo had no chorus.
The Witcher had no chorus.
Deus Ex had no chorus.
Etc.

:shock: Do you actually understand Digital Devil Saga is a two game long play on hindu cosmology and the entirety of Baroque is symbolic of something or another that happens in the ridiculously weird plot, right? That's the definition of having thought behind it. Naturally, you would know that if you weren't just throwing opinions around like if they were some kind of fact. :?
Hindu cosmology..."symbology"...*snort*...ZZzzzz...

Pretentious crap, that's what it is. Unoriginal. The titles I mentioned did new things borrowing some stuff from here and there; you don't need a thousand references to other works for your own to be good. Hammerites may be a throwback to Christian religion with Inquisition overtones, yes, but the Hammer iconography is unique and so are their chants, verses, and mechanist beliefs. The Pagans are obviously homologous to their real world counterparts, a bit druidic, but the way they speaksies and treaties of manfools and non-believers is a good take to give them a sinister air of trickery, deceit, and malicious playfulness. I saw none of that in your trailers, while I can point you to a single 20-second debriefing intro to show you all of that.

The Witcher called, it wants his zombie infested caves and flying takes of huge castles back.
Kaer Morhen? An abandoned keep; there's nothing grand about it. It doesn't look like Japanese Gondor, at least.

Also there's no zombies in The Witcher.

Last edited:

yaster

Liturgist
Also:

Thing of Japanese origin highly resistant to 1ek silly criticism (by sheer coincidance with fantastic audio as a boon and having stairs, yeah stairs, fuckin' stairs):

16042_full.jpg

1eyedking

Erudite
StrangeCase said:
Art Direction is about visuals only. It is established term.
Fuck the term. It could be "creative direction" for all I care, but it's immediately related to other stuff beyond the visual context and that's my point that is still not being understood MY FUCKING GOD THIS FORUM COULDN'T BE ANY MORE GODDAMN STUPID.

StrangeCase said:
Any opinions on WoW's art direction? I see it get singled out by people all the time, positively and negatively. I've only ever seen it played; I remember thinking the environments and animations were pretty good, but my coworker's character was decked out in some of the most stupid-ass gear I've ever seen portrayed in any media.
Non-believable gear = imagination and intelligence insulted = bad art direction.

Unless I can properly imagine the process and purpose of an item of a given proportion to be crafted, this process thoroughly explained if it's not obvious/deductible, and fits the gameworld's rules and cultural context, it's shit.

Example:
Which do you think is better art/creative direction (or taste) out of the two following cases? They're supposed to be mid-level bandit attack scenarios.

Case A
You encounter a group of bandits. They appeared out of nowhere, and have been teleported to a seemingly impossible location. They're all sporting massive ultrawide swords of various shapes with flames of various colors sprouting out of the blades; they brandish them with ease as if they were incredibly lightweight. They're wearing fashion design leather armor full of straps, belts, and zippers. You wonder where the hell did they get their hands on such pristine equipment and how on earth did zippers come to be constructed in a Gothic European setting. Some of them forgot to wear a shirt and their perfect abs are at display. You wonder if there's fashion show in the nearest town, and if there is, who the sponsors are, and what are the corporations behind those. You wonder how the hell did corporations manage to happen in the Renaissance. They have spiky hair of various loud colors. You wonder where the nearest gel factory is, how did they develop the chemistry knowledge to create such compounds for both the gel and the dyes. And why the hell do they bother with such nonsense if they're bandits, FFS. When they attack you, they jump around in high acrobatics and twist and spin and sky-rocket to the sky and defy the laws of physics in every way possible and some of them even throw sparkly fire out of their hands at you.

:mystery:

You kill them, get XP, and get the Swords which are +3. How the hell did they get their hands on such weapons you do not know - you find nothing else. You plow through your inventory and their description automatically reads "Swrd+3". You walk away, crossing your fingers the screen doesn't start swirling again or you'll vomit.

Case B
You encounter a group of bandits, which you saw standing camp from a distance. They're sporting what look to be clubs, makeshift maces and dull blades. Some of them have longswords, however, with faint runes running along one of the blades' sides - they're gathered around a barrel they're using as a makeshift table. They're wearing rags, plain leather armors, and leather caps. Some of them have no shirt on them and their exposed, hairy bellies swig in concert with their steps - they're probably drunk even now. Some of them are limping and have bandages across their arms and legs. They look scraggly, severely unkempt and some of them sport month-long beards, faces full of dirt. Their hair is long, bedraggled, and messy. You wonder how many weeks long has it been since they bathed, or if they even care about it at all. When they attack you most swing their clubs and maces heavily and clumsily, yet for some reason the ones with the strange swords do so in a nimbler way than expected.

When you defeat them and check their inventory, among the useless makeshift excuse of an arsenal you find that the longswords all sport the same runic pattern. Your wizard casts a spell and after examining the weapons a second time, he deduces they're enchanted (reads "Longsword +3" in your inventory). In the body of the leader you find a note which reads:

"M.:
The wizard Lord B. is employing has finally come up with a way to produce enchanted swords in large batches. Anyway, you know what that means - more hauling jobs for us grunts, more weapons hunting jobs for you. Anyway, they're inside the barrel with red paint so keep an eye out for any of the usual skulduggery your boys like to partake in. Hand them out to your lieutenants, for a change - last time's recruit's corpses I had to carry to the pyre had last month's magical rings on them. (There's a note scribbled on the side in different handwriting here: "It was on purpose, you idiot! You were to keep them so we could sell them! Imbecile.")

Also, I've been specifically ordered to tell you to keep an eye out for "'voluptous (sic) elven maidens" during your ambushes. The mage's tastes are becoming more and more demanding, it seems.

-D."

-------------

Out of those two, honestly, which one engaged your intelligence and imagination more?

1eyedking

Erudite
yaster said:
Also:

Thing of Japanese origin highly resistant to 1ek silly criticism (by sheer coincidance with fantastic audio as a boon and having stairs, yeah stairs, fuckin' stairs):
PyramidHead.png

That is creative? A monster with a fucking metal pyramid on his head? And a giant sword? What's the explanation for its design? After all I said, this has got to be a fucking joke

1eyedking

Erudite
Chateaubryan said:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Silent-Hill-2-Pyramid-Head-Analysis&id=3860301

Pity this thread derailed from a rather interesting thought about how music and sound is relevant to Art direction in interactive media to a rather sub-codexian trolling of japanese productions.

"Article" said:
Pyramid Head from the video game Silent Hill 2 has remained the Silent Hill series' iconic monster. This is most probably due to the originality of the monster as well as the complex psychological implications of it. While there are quite a few good attempts at analysis around, there are some implications that seem to have been missed. Herein, the significance and complexity of the monsters will be explored.

Pyramid Head serves as a manifestation of what Jung would call the Shadow Archetype. This is basically the repressed negative aspects of every human being and in Silent Hill represents the repressed negative aspects of James Sunderland 1. To represent James Sunderland's Shadow Archetype, the monster draws upon a relatively wide selection of concepts.

In terms of its appearance, it first draws upon the image of an executioner from the medieval ages. As Executioners are almost exclusively male and associated with oppressive, masculine laws, the monster represents James Sunderland's oppressive masculinity. It also represents how James essentially 'executed' his wife.

Pyramid Head also has a secondary representation associated with oppressive masculinity by having a clearly phallic appearance. This is both in terms of its general appearance; with its head essentially representing the glans of male anatomy, as well as the weapons it uses all being long, stabbing weapons of some kind or another. It is no mistake that James eventually comes to wield Pyramid Head's blade, which is effective against anything that has experienced oppressive masculinity such as Eddie.

Near the end Silent Hill 2, James must essentially fight two Pyramid Heads. This is because he has murdered, or believes he has murdered, two people. Thus, when defeated, one of the monsters has a rusted sphere, representing the murder of Mary, and one has a crimson sphere, representing the murder of Eddie.

References:

1.Jung, C.G. (1938). "Psychology and Religion." In CW 11: Psychology and Religion: West and East. P.131.
BWAAHHAHHAHA, WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!!

Male + Gigantic Metallic Pyramid + Gigantic Generic Sword + Butchers' apron = "repressed negativity"-born oppressive executioner?

Triangular head = phallic?

Rust/crimson spheres = murders?

Seriously.

I mean, seriously.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Thought so.

I won't be fighting over your feinted inability to understand how symbolism can be used efficiently in a medium. If you don't want to play it, or at least admit that there are games worth playing outside the spectrum you're accustomed to, your loss. :smug:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, the Silent Hill games (the first 2 at least) have awesome art direction. It's obvious that you haven't played them 1eyed and trying to judge it from a pic without having played it is impossible. The first game is another perfect example of bad graphics + awesome art direction.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Deniszi

"And nice try dodging, Black Cat."

You have to accept it almost sounds convincing! :3

@ 1eyedking

TL;DR: I see your wall of text and raise another wall of text! Also, we are talking settings from completely diferent points of view so we are never going to see each other eye to eye in this topic, but no hard feelings and stuffies.

Long and ranting version follows, abandon all hopity hope...

You and I are talking of entirely diferent things. You are seeing settings as real places, or as imitation of those, needing a story and an inner logic that can be understood by following normal logic. I'm talking about settings as in the scenery where a story (or game) happens, with no more use nor existence beyond either helping to build mood and atmosphere, be pretty to look at, create interesting challenges, and convey parts of the plot or meaning by their very presence.

This is kind of obvious in your opinion of The Witcher monsters. You tell me to read the bestiary, while all i care about is there are monsters who look kind of ghoulish, in a crypt, and i kill them. They are lacking in the mood department, since for all uses and purposes they are ghouls (and then you have evil plants too) and they are not trying to convey any meaning either, so why should we care?

You ask about the history and reasons behind the building of a fantasy castle, for fuck's sake. Do you care about that when listening to an allegory that happens in a castle, or a fairy tale that does? No, the entire point of the castle is to have shit happen inside of it. That's the only point of it's existence, and it's only function as a setting is to be a cool place for the shit that will happen inside of it, be moody and atmospheric, and, if the story has a purpose or meaning beyond kill shit and get loot, how well does it convey that message. All other crap is, like, i don't know, stupid. Who cares about that kind of stuff in a fantasy game?

It's like questioning the biology of the Colossi in SotC, or the rationale beyond there being a huge roguelike tower dungeon in Baroque. Who cares? It's reason is to be there and be aesthetically consistent, aesthetically pleasing for its target demographic, and to convey the plots themes when the plot has themes.

I mean...

"They all sport the same exaggerated over-design lacking purpose and direction."

Sure, I'm glad you think over design is wrong and vile, cool, but we live in a pretty superficial society ourselves, and most of the current western styles are victim of being over designed and lacking both purpose and direction too. So regardless of your opinion of it we are talking of something universal, not gook based nor inspired. Or do you think gook thingies are so popular with people of my generation because it corrupts our very selves and turns us inside out instead of because it gives us exactly what we are looking for? It isn't the cause, dood.

"Gothic, low medieval, and Renaissance men and women didn't sport those haircuts."

Who cares? First, those haircuts where not even in the medieval like games, so meh, but are you asking for internal cultural consistency in a bloody fantasy game? Are you the king of escapist storyfags or something like that? In most japanese thingies the haircuts and colors and fashion are used to convey the character and it's themes to us, so it has to talk our language, not the language of the, like, low medieval or something, and that goes regardless of how cool or insipid the character is. The entire point is to you being able to tell the general themes and aspects of the characters because of their speech patterns, fashion, and colors. They aren't complex psychological constructs, they are either incarnated gameplay mechanics or devices to convey a message. Who wants to invest their lives in learning the subtleties of people that does not exist? D:

And really big swords are just guys compensating, that's not my fault. The japagooks just go kind of overboard with it, but really, Geralt going all dancing murderous hopping dervish with a sword, like, as long as i am tall, or about if i don't recall it wrong, is not precisely less compensating or ridiculous, less so when he is somehow choping and dicing four foes at once while doin so. Let's be honest, please. :P

"It's OK if surrealism explains monsters, hallucinations, and a twisted take at basic structures; maybe the facade of a certain building if your character were falling into insanity, but from what those trailers showed "surrealism" is just a pathetic excuse for GRAND MAJESTIC IMPOSSIBLE CASTLES CONSTRUCTED IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE."

Uhm, pathetic excuse? There is no excuse nor need for one, and why limit the symbolic meanings or gameplay uses of some random fantasy place to either realism, common sense, or fantasy logic when there is no need to do so? It was built there to be a nice backdrop for the game's story and offer interesting challenges, jumping puzzles, battle arenas, and lots of indirect routes after getting all old and rusty and ruined, because last time i checked there is no real people living in there and thus no real motives to build big magic castles. Just like the colossi are representations of forces and concepts and there is not logic to their beings other than being so and then getting killed by a jerk with a horse and a sword so we can all feel sad and go down the path of black eyeliner. The stories and settings are the excuses themselves, you don't create excuses for the excuses.

I mean, like, people in Fantasy Land lives only to either be walking stores, gameplay elements, walking hints, and storytelling devices, and they did not exist before you put the disc in the drive, and they stop existing once you get bored. And time stops in their universe when you let the game on pause to get some food or go talk to your parents or go on a date with your boyfriend. So if you think a thing other than either what was the writer trying to convey or how do i use this on the gameplay challenges or this shit is totally pwetty and moody when exploring i don't really understand you, sorry.

And if you see it like this, well, then it's just subjective judgement on how pwetty or cool it is, and there's, like, nothing to discuss.

"Pretentious crap, that's what it is. Unoriginal."

What's the point of being original on the language you are using to express the ideas you are trying to convey? Babel was no fun, you know? Why go and create an entire symbolic system from the ground up when it is not needed to express your ideas nor is it going to be understood by the people you want your ideas to reach? What kind of retard learns the five hundred Gods of fantasy land when they are in no way more meaningful in their symbolism than the already big enough pantheons we have over here? And if you are going to try to pull an but Lord Blah of Faerun is as meaningful and symbolic as Shiva i'm calling no life retard, sorry.

I really have nothing against you, and i actually think you have interesting things to say every now and then, but i don't really follow the way you are seeing fantasy worlds as anything but, like, fantasy worlds, and if someone really expects me to learn the five hundred gods and three thousand magical creatures and six thousands year of history and twelve diferent made up ideologies, which are actually simplified and superretarded versions of real ideologies and symbologies and pantheons and stuffies, of their fantasy world to convey a message that could have been conveyed by using the gods and symbols and philosophies we already have, well, fuck them and it is them who are the pretentious ones if they think they have something so totally groundbreaking to convey in a bloody videogame that thousands of years of folklore, mythology, symbolism, and mythology is not enough to convey it. They have way too much time on their hands. And they write for people who does the same. And when a fifteen year old girl eighty year old degenerate pedophile of a retired catholic exorcist thinks someone has way too much time in their hands, believe her him, it's her his area of expertise. :roll:

And I did not really went any deeper on Thief lore once I saw it was basicaly Pillar of Force vs Pillar of Form with basic hermetic gnosticism done all over again, thank you very much. I like their clothes, though. And I like the way they draw their magic thingies in the cutscenes, too. :3 I love Thief all the same, though. We are like brothers in Christ, but in Thief instead, regardless of we liking it for totally diferent reasons, i guess.

"Also there's no zombies in The Witcher."

Not really smart dead things that stumble around in crypts and need to meet my magical silvery sword of evil monster anihilation = Zombie, maybe Ghoul, a gaki or preta if they are motivated by unsatisfied material lusts, etc. I do not need to learn an entirely new set of symbols to convey the same basic concept for all things that are holy and pretty and fluffy and cute, like, everywhere!

"Kaer Morhen? An abandoned keep;"

As opposed to, like, all the vastly inhabited keeps in those videos i posted? Or did you really took those walking skeletons and evil hungry demons and zombies and, like, thingies falling apart and dust and piles of rubble and the broken masonry and the total lack of living non hostile things outside the main character and sidekicks as a sign of them being cultural, economic, and social centers of some kind? :?

"This is the supposed "wide range of modern Anime" characters."

That thing you posted turns all thing i posted into outside of the wide range of modern anime, so either it is wrong or you just said, like, super kawaii black kitty is right and i'm wrong, thank you. So don't try to be a jerk when no one's being hostile and i'm just talking around, dood.

hiver

1eyedkings OP is pretty much correct.

Blackcats assertion that sometimes art direction can have its own internal logic is valid and sometimes even such setting can be pleasing artistically in their design of the gameworld.

That doesnt make them as good in that department as those who have truly great and well thought out art direction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom