Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lol, I've put Elex on hold too but gave NotR another spin. God what a treat again.

As usual, a few things pissed me off to no end but nothing can mar my love for Gothic. I've mentioned the unbearable city banter elsewhere. But this time around I've also thought the number of enemies the late game throws at you is super tiring. At that point, if you metagamed (and you have to metagame in NotR) you're already wielding the Dragonslicer and you're butchering orcs and lizardmen like chicken but the game throws at you dozens and dozens of them. Which is stupid because the combat system wasn't designed for you to fight 5+ enemies at once. Gothic 3 made the same mistake, the northern regions are swarming with orcs and it's exhausting to chop through them. Bless Risen 1 for correcting that mistake.

Also I've never cared for the other two maps - Valley of the Mines and Jharkendar. WoM is just empty wastes jam packed with monsters and Jharkendar is nice but can't match with the vanilla map. And Irdaroth is of course terrible, a badly done dungeon crawling slog, completely divorced from the wonderful feeling of the first map. For me the Khorinis/surroundings map is one of the best, most hand-crafted and most enjoyable game worlds ever.

Also I've always thought dragon fights are designed either by sadist or an idiot. Probably both.

But weak VoM and terrible Irdaroth notwithstanding this is enormous, epic and legendary game and its fate in the US is just typical product of the arrogance and ignorance of all the teen Kwan journos who suckle at the teat of EA, Activision and Bethesda all their lives and can't tell quality from their dick cheese.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I always liked the Valley of Mines in G2, especially the first visit. Sprinting towards the old camp castle in the night is easily one of my top 10 moments in gaming history. It does get derpy in the later chapter when it's full of dragon hunters etc, but the first one has an excellently realised sense of despair and hopelessness of Garond's besieged crew.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bless Risen 1 for correcting that mistake.
ohyes these lizards-filled dungeons were fun
NOT

Yeah, PB is really bad at lategame. It always feels as if they wanted to do something different, more focused and "exciting" but it always falls flat. Can't remember G1 lategame anymore but G2, G3 and R1 lategames were all boring slog, more or less. R2 went to shit much sooner, the first half was decent, the second half was shit. I'm not mentioning R3, it doesn't exist for me. And I don't suppose I'll be terribly surprised by the lategame in Elex.

P.S. - Oh one of the alternative endings in G3 is actually awesome. Probably my favourite because it's so bizzare. Absolutely nothing happens - iirc you just slow walk through the entire map with an old wizard, strolling through the snow, the fields, the forests, and then he just disappears into a portal and it's the end. Awesome :cool:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bless Risen 1 for correcting that mistake.
ohyes these lizards-filled dungeons were fun
NOT

p sure his point was that in R1sen you could whack multiple dudes at the same time with wide strikes

edit: or not

I'm not sure about the swings either tbh. Can you do that in R1? Can't remember.
Anyway my point was the game doesn't throw at you 7 orcs at once, mobs that you can't pull individually due to their group AI. I don't think it happens in late game either, not like G2 and G3.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm not sure about the swings either tbh. Can you do that in R1?

Yeah. R1sen combat actually added a lot of really cool things to the Gothic formula. Ripostes, shields, headshots, swings that could target multiple enemies, etc.

and then they fucked it up
borealesad.jpg

I still don't understand how they fucked it up so bad for 3 games since Risen 1. Even having back a goddamn sidestep as evade option instead of rolling would already improve things for me in ELEX.

First one handed weapons skill upgrade! A trainer tells my char - don't be a noob, stop holding it with both hands. And suddenly it's reflected in game animations. Swinging it feels much better already. Love shit like this. What an idiot I was for not starting with Gothic 1 in the first place.

Last edited:

Old One

Arcane
What's the deal with barrier sometimes being visible, other times not? Is that normal or a bug? Because I do see an option in SystemPack.ini for keeping it always on, just not sure if I should mess with that.
Normal. It just flashes sometimes. That's the only way you know it's there except for the blue glow that surrounds ponytail dude when he gets too close to it.

It took me a long time to figure out how to swim the first time. Once you do figure it out though, it's actually quite simple and you feel stupid for not getting it right away.

But what's killing me is the fucking tiny fonts. It's beyond uncomfortable. Anybody know of a good solution to this other than reduce my resolution to potato (1280x720)? It's fairly annoying and right now my only real complaint about my Gothic experience so far.

This is an old post but in case some people still haven't figured it out there's setting for UI size in SystemPack.ini under
[INTERFACE]
Scale=1 (default)

I use value 1.7. Max value allowed for 1080p resolution is 2.1 apparently, but that's too large for me. Downside of this is that it also makes inventory slots larger, meaning less items displayed on screen at once and InventoryCellSize setting doesn't seem to do anything.

Jinn

Arcane
First one handed weapons skill upgrade! A trainer tells my char - don't be a noob, stop holding it with both hands. And suddenly it's reflected in game animations. Swinging it feels much better already. Love shit like this. What an idiot I was for not starting with Gothic 1 in the first place.

It's always great to see someone having an excellent first experience with this game. Just wanted to warn you to avoid quicksaving and quickloading, as it causes game breaking bugs later on.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's always great to see someone having an excellent first experience with this game. Just wanted to warn you to avoid quicksaving and quickloading, as it causes game breaking bugs later on.
This, also, don't forget to show the Rice Lord who's boss.

Fuck me, I've been quicksaving and quickloading a lot. What kind of game breaking bugs?

Also, I'm having a look around pothead camp now and I've just been called "infidel" by a dude with stoned hippie voice. Game is great, it better not fucking break on me now.

Last edited:

MasPingon

Arcane
Decided to put off ELEX playthrough until it receives more patching and went for a first time ever run of Gothic 1 instead.
Dude, we played so many VS, I saved your life so many times, gave you my medkits and watched your back. I treated you like a bro. You want to tell me that whole this time you was hiding the truth? I've never asked, but I assumed you was experienced Gothic 1/2 player. I feel raped.

#metoo

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Decided to put off ELEX playthrough until it receives more patching and went for a first time ever run of Gothic 1 instead.
Dude, we played so many VS, I saved your live so many times, gave you my medkits and watched your back. I treated you like a bro. You want to tell me that whole this time you was hiding the truth? I've never asked, but I assumed you was experienced Gothic 1/2 player. I feel raped.

#metoo

Calm down. Hes getting deflowered as we speak.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Mmm, deflowering. Delicious. When I replay the old classics I get sad because they showed so much potential for the future, but promising devs fucked it all up.
borealesad.jpg

Jinn

Arcane
Fuck me, I've been quicksaving and quickloading a lot. What kind of game breaking bugs?

Also, I'm having a look around pothead camp now and I've just been called "infidel" by a dude with stoned hippie voice. Game is great, it better not fucking break on me now.

There was a point where a story vital character who was traveling with me started attacking me for no reason once walking past a certain point in a dungeon while on a main story line quest. A number of other smaller things got fucked for me too, but it's been awhile.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

There was a point where a story vital character who was traveling with me started attacking me for no reason once walking past a certain point in a dungeon while on a main story line quest. A number of other smaller things got fucked for me too, but it's been awhile.
Could be fixed by console in the worst case, mind you.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Let me guess

It was Gorn during a certain event at the mines?

Thats a known bug, has nothing to do with quicksave. Hes simply a bitch when hes hungry and you probably hit him for 1 damage during chaotic mass combat. You can outrun him though and after the event he will pretend as if nothing happened AFAIR.

In order to avoid fuckups you simply should save manually from time to time.

Jinn

Arcane
Thats a known bug, has nothing to do with quicksave. Hes simply a bitch when hes hungry and you probably hit him for 1 damage during chaotic mass combat. You can outrun him though and after the event he will pretend as if nothing happened AFAIR.

In order to avoid fuckups you simply should save manually from time to time.

Yep

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom