Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gothic Remake Welcome To The Old Camp Showcase Trailer

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well you sneer and make faces but they either cobble together some sort of soulslike type combat and be somewhat mocked. Or they do anything else and be mocked into the Stone Age.

There's no scenario that I can see where the G-Remake combat is actually praised, even if they attempted to somehow recreate the original thing (that, I suspect, would be a fucking disaster feedback-wise).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why is everyone British?

All the charm of the original will be gone as I predicted.
When you're a Euro publisher, it's cheaper and more convenient to just hire bong actors. The original Gothic had an American publisher handle both the non-German European and American release, hence American voice actors.

Shadenuat

Arcane
How can you take a game not known for its cheerful color palette to begin with and make it so much worse.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I repplayed the remake recently, it was cool. I am a not a Gothic fan though, so my perception could be different. As a standalone game it is certainly worth a shot.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Gothic, for me, is so bound up in the archaic control scheem that even a "good" remake would fail. Zero chance this will be good.
Best control scheme ever, you just need to spend 5 minutes to learn it. Like... uh, learning anything?

You can play the game 90% of the time without lifting your finger off the keyboard, and only use the mouse for looking around now and then, but even that is optional.

Took me about 5 minutes to learn it, and then I wished all ARPGs had such a keyboard-driven control scheme.
Actually I love using a keypad (Logitech G13) that has a thumb joystick. Mainly is that it gives me four fingers free switch weapons, reload, etc in a shooter. It's a huge QOL bonus. Less useful in MMO or something but, yes, a twitchy game it really helps. Note I've played piano all my life, literally having shot my WPM up to over 140 lol, but I still find this a huge QOL bonus.

Well, I guess the above moreso pertains to 3rd person games WITHOUT analog movement. (Like platformers that need need need precision)

Fighting games, I'd rather have the precision/distinction of four keys.

I guess that's the tradeoff - if timing of movement is highly important, then I'd rather use the keyboard (or the keys on the keypad). For FPS it's different because tactics/cover/etc have more room for freedom.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Actually I love using a keypad (Logitech G13) that has a thumb joystick. Mainly is that it gives me four fingers free switch weapons, reload, etc in a shooter
How anyone can play an FPS with a joystick and think it's fine is beyond me
Because the joystick is for my left thumb. I use a mouse in my right hand, WSAD on my left thumb and four free left fingers.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
1692965807158.jpeg

This is essentially my "keyboard" in terms of KB+M.

Think about it this way: You never have to lift a finger away from W S A or D. You always have control of WASD movement, at the same time able to reload, switch weapons, flatten into prone, sprint, crouch. There is zero hesitation.

Though I should clarify why I say WSAD. It's because no games have analog movement (the only one I've seen is Star Trek Online lol). In other words I'm using a directional pad with my thumb.

The only time I need WSAD for a shooter is for games like/as old as Quake 3, where every little bit of precision counts. Imagine strafe jumping with a joystick. Imagine a rocket duel.

But for games where where cover, fire angles, full magazine, and other positional movements are key... Being able to move (react) forward, left, right, back, shoot, etc without hesitation.

Unless you are a sniper, of course. Accurate cover position IS your lifeline.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
View attachment 40528

Think about it this way: You never have to lift a finger away from W S A or D. You always have control of WASD movement, at the same time able to reload, switch weapons, flatten into prone, sprint, crouch. There is zero hesitation.

Though I should clarify why I say WSAD. It's because no games have analog movement (the only one I've seen is Star Trek Online lol). In other words I'm using a directional pad with my thumb.

The only time I need WSAD for a shooter is for games like/as old as Quake 3, where every little bit of precision counts. Imagine strafe jumping with a joystick. Imagine a rocket duel.

But for games where where cover, fire angles, full magazine, and other positional movements are key... Being able to move (react) forward, left, right, back, shoot, etc without hesitation.

Looks like the powerglove.

I'm just using a damn keyboard and it works, your shit is as odd as the one guy playing CS with a trackball. At least, if he got a kill you could grab the ball and throw it across the room.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
View attachment 40528

Looks like the powerglove.

I'm just using a damn keyboard and it works, your shit is as odd as the one guy playing CS with a trackball. At least, if he got a kill you could grab the ball and throw it across the room.
I literally the keys W S A D with one finger the "joystick" is nothing more than four bindable keys. It's a directional pad, the stick so you can use the directional pad with one finger.

With a tracking ball I have no idea which way I'm going. With this "joystick" I know I am pressing W S A or D.

It is not analog. Repeat after me, it is not analog.

The only analog is my mouse for aiming.

Edit: Which means I do not use my side buttons and use my keypad instead, because the other three fingers on my left hand are resting at home position on the keys for reload, nade, crouch, what have you.

Edit 2 for TLDR sakes: It's a keyboard with your thumb controlling four of those keys.

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I literally the keys W S A D with one finger the "joystick" is nothing more than four bindable keys. It's a directional pad, the stick so you can use the directional pad with one finger.

With a tracking ball I have no idea which way I'm going. With this "joystick" I know I am pressing W S A or D.

It is not analog. Repeat after me, it is not analog.

The only analog is my mouse for aiming.

Edit: Which means I do not use my side buttons and use my keypad instead, because the other three fingers on my left hand are resting at home position on the keys for reload, nade, crouch, what have you.

Edit 2 for TLDR sakes: It's a keyboard with your thumb controlling four of those keys.

It was a Joke, mate. Use your powerglove however you want, it's fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom