Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

Morroweird

Educated
Does the Gothic remake have free climbing like the original? If not, screw it. Either way, I can't see them making combat similar to the original. It will most likely be a button masher, ie. boring.
Not thinking of Daggerfall, are you? I can't remember Gothic I having anything you could describe as 'free climbing'.

I'm referencing the Tomb Raider (the originals) style climbing that worked on every edge next to a right angled flat surface.

Not sure if I am excited for this remake. It looks like a generic ARPG and the Gothic part is barely recognizable. And I fear a combat system with evasion rolls. They should have chosen Gothic 3 which actually needs a remake.

So far, anything they showed past the dreadful initial “concept demo” seems to be more or less on point and reasonably faithful to the source.

I’ll be first in line to give them shit jf the final result misses the mark, but let’s not go full autistic with the complaints.

And let’s not pretend there weren’t areas of the first Gothic that couldn’t be ideally improved, either.

Rhobar121

Scholar
FgvFNZWXoAI4VIT

I don't know what to think about it. The other creatures they showed were fairly faithful to those from g1, but this one looks strange.
The teeth are a bit out of place, although it is possible that the original may have had them, but you can't see them by the quality of the graphic.

Adherence to the original aside (and i would agree that this already seems like a miss in that sense) overly-detailed models tend to backfire when they aren't tied to animations that are just as good.
Basically: I'd want to see it in action to judge it.

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
FgvFNZWXoAI4VIT

I don't know what to think about it. The other creatures they showed were fairly faithful to those from g1, but this one looks strange.
The teeth are a bit out of place, although it is possible that the original may have had them, but you can't see them by the quality of the graphic.
Looks nothing like the original, but looks fucking awesome to me

Wunderbar

Arcane
Why would fly have a mouth like this?

They've redesigned a normal animal into some demonic videogame monster.

Last edited:

Ryzer

Arcane
Why would fly have a mouth like this?

They've redesigned a normal animal into some demonic videogame monster.
Because the environment in Gothic is hostile? Also it implies that flies are carnivorous.

Last edited:

Rhobar121

Scholar
It was only recently that I noticed that the scavengers had a bone growth on their head, had it not been for the remake I would never have paid attention to it.
Poor quality models really do not make it easy to spot such details.

Looks like generic fantasy monsters and not like down-to-earth animals that could really exist in nature. Gothic is low-fantasy, I fear the remake will not keep that premise.

notpl

Arbiter
Bloodflies obviously couldn't exist in nature either way, I just think the asymmetrical monster teeth are a bit hackneyed and gratuitous. If they were just normal rows of tiny sharp teeth I'd be fine with the change, most likely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom