Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic I, worth it?

MisterStone

Arcane
So I've been playing Gothic I for a few hours. I must say, it's not bad for its time, but 3d graphics really do age horribly. Also combat is kind of weak. Voice acting sucks, although the writing and general world design seems pretty awesome. Would you say playing through G1 is worth it, or would it be better to jump to G2, which everyone seems to think is the more awesome of the two?

Zomg

Arbiter
I vaguely remember using a graphics patch and some hack to raise the resolution and it looked like G2.

I think the first part of G1 (where you go around to the different camps, etc) is really good, in fact better than any similar-sized chunk of G2 considered in isolation. After that it's just bland linear junk. So I'd say play through the first bit and then once you start getting locked into the railroad section of the game drop it, if you aren't through it already.

DefJam101

Arcane
I started playing 1 for the first time a few days ago, and it's pretty much like what Zomg says. Gothic 2 feels more alive now, though, so if you want total immerushun you should play through Gothic 1 before 2.

Tails

Arbiter
I've stopped playing Gothic I after getting to inside of New Mine. Just lost motivation to play it somehow. Linerality, clunky combat and the fake "alive" world (I was really disappointed about creatures respawning only when new chapter starts) were the biggest issue. Still, the atmosphere is great and game has really nice features.

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm playing G1, but I find it's more like I'm trying to force myself to like it rather than actually enjoying it.

The combat is complete shit, and now that I'm hearing that the game gets even worse I don't even know if I'll bother.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
How to spot a person with bad taste in gaming, a short guide by Darth Roxor:

- the said person dislikes combat in the first two Gothic games.

:smug:

Stabwound

Arcane
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it feels like a clunky mess. Hold down ctrl and hammer on buttons and hope that you actually hit the enemy and that it dies before you do. Great fun.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
G2 is much better but I prefer the first one for my own reasons. I'd say keep going.

As for the combat, it is deliberately clunky at the start because your character simply suck at it. You can do better as the player by learning how to deal with it but the whole thing will become a lot less frustrating once your character learns some moves. Kind of a great way to put the RPG back in the action RPG if you ask me.

bat_boro

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:

This

Zomg

Arbiter
Combat in the first two Gothics is eh because it's like 99% about your character and gear. The difference of 20 points of strength and a suit of armor is the difference between dying every time and winning without taking a scratch for a given enemy; it's that binary.

In the very beginning you can get some mileage by learning how to knock monsters out of their charges (like the bird things in G1 and the field raiders in G2) but after that it's just your stats and fighting enemies one at a time (orcs especially).

Murk

Arcane
yes, yes you should play it through. G2.5 is infinitely better, but that doesn't mean G1 isn't great.

JrK

Prophet
MisterStone said:
3d graphics really do age horribly

To go slightly off topic and react to this; I've been playing Thief 2 after finally getting it to work on my machine using Tafferpatcher. It has those old 3d graphics as well, comparable to Jedi Knight and such. One thing that strikes me is that the graphics are actually not that bad and stuff looks pretty impressive. There is just one thing that is buttfugly and that's models for characters and beasts, and iirc it was the same for JK.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Thief 2 actually aged rather nicely.

A shame it can't be said for Thief 1 which is ugly as hell nowadays.

SoupNazi

Zomg said:
Combat in the first two Gothics is eh because it's like 99% about your character and gear. The difference of 20 points of strength and a suit of armor is the difference between dying every time and winning without taking a scratch for a given enemy; it's that binary.

No it isn't. You can kill a black troll without any equipment, using only your fists, on level 1, without a scratch. :smug:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Darth Roxor said:
A shame it can't be said for Thief 1 which is ugly as hell nowadays.

There are a few mods that replace the models and textures. Most of it is stuff from Thief 2 actually.

Even though the environments in Thief are still pretty good; it's mostly the models that aged badly.

Zomg

Arbiter
SoupNazi said:
No it isn't. You can kill a black troll without any equipment, using only your fists, on level 1, without a scratch. :smug:

I'm thinking of "normal" enemies like wargs, trolls are more of a one-shot gimmick than an enemy (except they reuse it 5-6 times...)

Tails

Arbiter
Darth Roxor said:

Please explain what is so good about first Gothic combat, I would really like to hear that.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The fact that you are fragile as shit throughout the whole game, but at the same time you can take on pretty much every damn enemy with a rusty sword if you master the combat system.

It's also pretty much the best marriage of character and player skill in gaming. If you're reflex impaired, pumping into crits will most likely save your sorry arse. If you're Laser-Jesus level awesome in blocking and dodging and attacking, however, raising crits only makes the killing faster.

MisterStone

Arcane
I guess the combat isn't all that bad in terms of user control, really it's just getting use to the control scheme I think.

I'm barely getting started TBH, the worst part of the game is having to zip through all the dialogues with the shitty voice acting. I guess I can turn VA off, right?

Anyway, I can't promise I'll play through the game but I do at least want to join a faction and try a couple of quests out and all that. Right now I'm thinking about joining the cultists for the lulz.

Zomg

Arbiter
Same thing I did in that game, "So, be victimized by a violent oligarchy, live in an asshole biker gang 24/7, or do light agricultural work and get high the rest of the day? Hmm."

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I got bored of G1 after an hour or so, but G2 quickly hooked me and became one of my favourite games. Go figure. If you're really struggling to make yourself play G1, I'd say it's well worth skipping to the second, you can always go back after. Never did like the mouseless control scheme, tbh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom