Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Gothic 3 Review

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
There are named women in G3, but something tells me you aint gonna be happy when you meet them, my female friend.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Riiight. Like a guy would ever say something like "I'm sick of the sexism in this world!" and "Female developers! Unite!" :lol:

Hey, it's cool. Welcome to the forums.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ceridwenn said:
Hehe, oh, and I'm not female. ;) Just sick of the sexism in this world.

Wait.
You are either lying, and female, making you a hypocrite...
...or you're a guy with the nick "Ceridwenn" worried about sexism.

Well, either way, you like guys, eh? Eh? Eh? You'll find the sexiest men ever on the Codex. Ask for Jim Kata.

Ceridwenn

Novice
Lol, I'm sitting here trying to figure out how I can convince you that Im a bloke, but I realize I can't. But hey, doesn't matter. Fact remains, Gothic is a great game because of the atmosphere(and NOT the wild boars :P) but lacks like most other games in gender awareness.

Thnx for the nice and quick response btw! :)

Kraszu

Prophet
Just give her a brake. Gothic games are inspired by dark ages it would be against dark setting if there would be women Paladyn or Mages.

Ceridwenn

Novice
Kraszu said:
Just give her a brake. Gothic games are inspired by dark ages it would be against dark setting if there would be women Paladyn or Mages.

Agree, it is true to history(or as it is told, considering the history is mostly written by and about men) but it just feels so old and conservative. And if a game wants to maximize the number of possible players they should atleast include some female characters other that prostitutes and ladies in distress.
Wasn't Joan of Arc in a sense a paladin btw? And witches? Weren't they supposed to be strong and independent? Which reminds me there wa a witch in Gothic 2. Not bad. :)

Kraszu

Prophet
Ceridwenn said:
Wasn't Joan of Arc in a sense a paladin btw?

She was religious icon, women could not became knight in "normal" way.

From wikipedia:

"After years of one humiliating defeat after another, both the military and civil leadership of France were demoralized and discredited. When the Dauphin Charles granted Joan’s urgent request to be equipped for war and placed at the head of his army, his decision must have been based in large part on the knowledge that every orthodox, every rational, option had been tried and had failed. Only a regime in the final straits of desperation would pay any heed to an illiterate farm girl who claimed that voices from God were instructing her to take charge of her country’s army and lead it to victory."

Ceridwenn said:
And witches? Weren't they supposed to be strong and independent? Which reminds me there wa a witch in Gothic 2. Not bad. :)

You answered yourself. :P

Hazelnut

Erudite
According to PB it was a problem they had with long hair on the char models, meaning that the female models were ready far too late for many to be added and integrated into the game. The same reason the hero's ponytail got chopped I believe.

Kraszu

Prophet
Hazelnut said:
According to PB it was a problem they had with long hair on the char models, meaning that the female models were ready far too late for many to be added and integrated into the game. The same reason the hero's ponytail got chopped I believe.

Yes but that means that women were not planned to be very important npc from the beginning of development.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ceridwenn said:
Lol, I'm sitting here trying to figure out how I can convince you that Im a bloke...
pix... or change your name to Doublerapids and develop a great taste in music and games and a long-standing appreciation for Looking Glass games.

elander_

Arbiter
Kraszu said:
Yes but that means that women were not planned to be very important npc from the beginning of development.

As a mater of fact we don't see many womans in G3, weird. Well screw them.

This review is right on the spot, specialy the Oblivion part.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Vault Dweller said:
Shagnak said:
In fact, I'm mystified by VDs performance claims.
Well, I wouldn't have been able to play the game long enough to take those shots if the performance was shit, would I? Like I said, it was absolutely flawless.
And I'm not lying about my performance (or my friend's). For all I know you could be a technical dumbfuck who got the first number in his card model wrong. Assuming that you are not, there is something super weird going on here...so I'm just looking for corroboration other than yours.

The Vanished One said:
Since I have an Athlon 64 4000+ and a 7800 GT, my problem must be the ram. Thank you guys
Yup, looks that way. I couldn't quite spring for a 7800 :)(), but performance is still acceptable now with my 7600gt. And it looks so tiny compared to my 6800 as well! :lol:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Shagnak said:
For all I know you could be a technical dumbfuck who got the first number in his card model wrong.
That's why I copy-pasted the specs from the confirmation email sent to me when I bought the computer. It came with this card. I was going to change it, but since it didn't give me any trouble with Oblivion, Avernum 4, and Gothic 3, I decided to keep it for now.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Jasede said:
or change your name to Doublerapids and develop a great taste in music and games and a long-standing appreciation for Looking Glass games.

:D

I had a lengthy argument here a while back against Gothic having a playable female character. But I gotta say, after this third instalment with its huge world, the fact that there are practically no important female npcs is an outright shame, and suggests something cultural within PB. Perhaps they ought to get out a little more, join some communities and, you know, befriend a woman or two, rather than limiting interaction to drunken passes.

Fodel

Novice
Excelent review for an excelent crpg , the best i ve played from Geneforge 2 :D

Sisyphus

Novice
amurath said:
VD - would you say that a high processor clock frequency is needed for the game - I noticed you have a 3Ghz Pentium D 930 - or is it mostly RAM+graphics card limited.
Does anyone know how a (supposedly) higher end Core 2 Duo E6300 or E6400 does versus a higher freq Pentium D (without taking overclocking into account)?

I would say RAM and the video card are the primary bottlenecks if you have a fast processor. A couple of things I have noticed playing with all settings at high at 1280*1024 (averaging around 50 FPS):

- % processor usage for both cores hovers around 40 - 70%
- Initial memory usage for gothic.exe starts at 1024 MB and grows from there... the highest peak memory usage I've seen so far is around 1550 MB of RAM

It appears the processor is able to easily feed the GPU. That is, the video card appears to be doing the majority of the work given that the processor is hardly taxed (on my system at 1280*1024, anyways). 2 GB of RAM appears to be optimum, since a 1550 MB peak memory usage will have both a 1 GB and 1.5 GB machine swapping to the page file.

So, I think a e6300 or e6400 would be more than adequate.

---
My specs:
E6600 @ 2.8 GHz
2 GB RAM
x1900xt 512MB @ 650/775

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
I'm glad you guys say being a mage gets easier. At the moment (level 12) I can cast off only a handfull of spells before needing to drink a potion. Which makes it tricky when you're getting pounded by a boar. The fighter path seems stronger, but then again your character does start with his combat skills much more developed.

On the other hand, the difficulty and rarity of magic does make spells seem that much cooler. I don't think I've seen another spellcaster (besides the trainers) yet except that guy from the ship who lost his rune magic. It does make magic seem more magical. As it should be. Like they said in The Incredibles, if everybody is special, then nobody is. I HATE that about Oblivion, the fact that anyone and everyone can perform magic. That completely defeats the purpose.

hiciacit

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
I was assuming it was a shader issue, i.e. it's use of shaders is better processed by the newer range of video cards. If anyone else has claims of "flawless" performance with a vanilla GF 6800 256MB, please pipe up.

I do actually. Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 2GB RAM, GF 6800GT. Settings between medium and high, runs quite fluid.

Nedrah

Erudite
Anybody having any luck with 1 gig of ram?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom