Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods: Enhanced Edition

Micmu

Magister
turrican said:
Never played any of the Gothics, it seems that the current steam deal with $5.75 for G2 and G3 is quite good.
Only if G2 comes with NoTR expansion or if you can buy it separately and apply it to this version. G3 is rubbish and doesn't represent the Gothic series well. Consider it as a worthless bonus you get with G2 (and G2 is much better with NoTR expansion).
I suggest you check out Risen instead of G3 (although it's price hasn't dropped that much, yet).

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
micmu said:
turrican said:
Never played any of the Gothics, it seems that the current steam deal with $5.75 for G2 and G3 is quite good.
Only if G2 comes with NoTR expansion or if you can buy it separately and apply it to this version. G3 is rubbish and doesn't represent the Gothic series well. Consider it as a worthless bonus you get with G2 (and G2 is much better with NoTR expansion).
I suggest you check out Risen instead of G3 (although it's price hasn't dropped that much, yet).

What are you talking about, it's practically free if you buy it from TPB. :smug:

turrican

Educated
micmu said:

It comes with 1, 2+NoTR and 3. From what I read here, it seems that playing 1->2->3 is the right way to do.

1 and 2 are supposed to be quality software without the need for community patches/mods that try fix something horrible i.e. Oblivion?

Micmu

Magister
Then it's a very good deal; for both Gothics and expansion. They're fully playable without any patches (are there any?); at least they were then, I'm not sure about wintendo 7, though.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Is Forsaken Gods stand-alone? Or should I get G3 + Forsaken? I have no interest in Arcania after seeing it on YouTube.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Forsaken Gods is totally stand alone. I'd just get the Universe Bundle for now. If you want to take a chance on Forsaken Gods if you enjoy G3 then I guarantee you it will be on sale again later as JoWood is in semi-bankruptcy (which is probably why this sale was prompted).

But, again, Forsaken Gods (although 'cleaned-up' by the same fan team that polished G3) was not developed by the designers of G1-G3 it was done by the same studio that made Arcania.

Morkar Left

Metro said:
Forsaken Gods is totally stand alone. I'd just get the Universe Bundle for now. If you want to take a chance on Forsaken Gods if you enjoy G3 then I guarantee you it will be on sale again later as JoWood is in semi-bankruptcy (which is probably why this sale was prompted).

But, again, Forsaken Gods (although 'cleaned-up' by the same fan team that polished G3) was not developed by the designers of G1-G3 it was done by the same studio that made Arcania.

No, Arcania is from Spellbound. Forsaken gods is fixed from the community team that fixed gothic 3, too. But for Forsaken gods they wanted money form Jowood to do it. Something I can fully understand ;)

Xi

Arcane
G3! Talk about one turd of a graphics engine! Turn off all in-game AA/AF settings and force them through the driver. This solved all the graphical anomaly issues I was having and kept my FPS at a solid high number. I also Dloaded that enhanced ini file, but went with some custom settings via the in-game menu. I turned down shadows, vegetation, turned off AA, Rim lighting, etc. Now the game is totally playable with occasional hitching. However, this is an engine limitation. I understand why Bethesda used Cells in Oblivion now. Honestly, it was a much better way to solve the issue.

Anyway, the combat system is simple. It reminds me of the old school games where all you could really do was attack, or swing a weapon. I have no problems with it really. Still getting used to it, but sense I'm going full mage, let's just say I will be nuking from afar!

I'm liking the freedom of choice, and the roam anywhere stuff in the game. Also, I like that I can take sides and attempt to find different solutions to the quests via dialog, and meeting diff NPCs. Pretty dang cool!

Gonna play this one.

:thumbsup:

Xi

Arcane
Hrmm, where should I go?
Gothic32011-03-2317-24-29-28.jpg

The most epic quest I've ever received in a video game! "Get muh shovel!"
Gothic32011-03-2402-14-07-18.jpg

Dood was hungry.
Gothic32011-03-2401-41-30-32.jpg

Ahh, I wonder what will kill me down this beautiful night scene?
Gothic32011-03-2400-32-10-94.jpg

:smug:

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Metro said:

Actually it was developed by Trine Games, Indian developers that have never made anything good.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Xi said:
So is G3 a decent game with all of the years of patchwork and shit? People mainly faulted it for it's bugginess and performance when it first came out. Tying to get a sense of what I'm getting myself into. :D
On a business trip, I bought the Gothic Ultimate edition, which included G1, G2+expansion, and G3. I actually finished G3 despite some infuriating moments (trying to find ever stupid city stone without a walkthrough, when most of them were pixel hunts, and fighting wolves without a spear spring to mind.)

However, after all the frustration, there was something really powerful about G3. It had charm and a lot of freedom to it. The option of buying skills with levels and branching in whatever direction you see fit and going anywhere you damn well please in a scrolling landscape is intoxicating.

On the other hand, this is about Forsaken gods, which is a pile o' junk which corrupted my game every 5 minutes, and used the exact same cities and maps as G3, only with less content. Made finding stuff easier, but... I'll download this patch and give it a shot.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Runs like shit even though my computer far outweighs what should be the recommended specs, but it is a pretty good game. Whimsically ventured into a cave, dashing goblin brains everywhere. Then ran into a dragon in the darkness. Ran back out being chased by fireballs. Ventured back in. Got gang-raped by a bunch of club swinging ogres.

Xi

Arcane
I ended up jumping back to 1.6 which is what steam installs. It doesm't having the constant hitching that I was experiencing in 1.74.

The game certainly has faults, but I can live with mediocre graphics so long as it runs without constant pausing. Granted, it still happens occasionally, but it's totally bearable. So I stopped tweaking and started playing. So far, it's been enjoyable. Working on my ancient knowledge to acquire more spells. Full mage baby! Like others were saying, the gaming world definitely seems ore alive and reactive to my inputs. I'm sure there's deeply flawed limitations, but it's pretty damn good in comparison to say Oblivion.

sser said:
Runs like shit even though my computer far outweighs what should be the recommended specs, but it is a pretty good game. Whimsically ventured into a cave, dashing goblin brains everywhere. Then ran into a dragon in the darkness. Ran back out being chased by fireballs. Ventured back in. Got gang-raped by a bunch of club swinging ogres.

The freedom to make bad choices, is still a good experience. :smug:

ortucis

Prophet
Matt7895 said:
Wasn't it made by some third-rate shitty Indian developer? Gothic 3 had Pirahna Bytes behind it, which is why it is a good game despite the technical flaws. But Forsaken Gods wasn't made by anyone of consequence.

Compared to third rate western developers who created Gothic 4? It isn't developers fault if publishers like Jowood want to rush every game, like they made PB do. Only when PB created their own game and actually play tested it did we get a stable game from them.

But yeah, picking a noname developer who has no experience with creating a commercial AAA title is borderline retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom