Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 3: Forgotten Gods

Pseudofool

Scholar
It's out today. Anyone pick it up? I've heard mixed reactions (via rpgwatch).

Saxon1974

Prophet
I would have to be an idiot to pay for that game after the crapfest that was Gothic 3.

I read on the forum that the combat was the same as gothic 3 and the game is loaded with bugs.....anyone shocked?

jaylittle

Scholar
Anybody surprised by this needs to check into the retard clinic. Gothic Series == Dead.

It's too bad too. Gothic I and II were just great games. I replay them both at least once every couple years.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Saxon1974 said:
I would have to be an idiot to pay for that game after the crapfest that was Gothic 3.

I read on the forum that the combat was the same as gothic 3 and the game is loaded with bugs.....anyone shocked?

Well, as far as I remember, this was made by a different studio altogether. There it is: http://www.trinegames.com/. Indians. So, it actually could be better, but it sounds like it isn't.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I didnt think Gothic 1 and 2 were great, 1 was ok and 2 was pretty good but both far better than the unplayable 3.

I wonder if Risen will be any good that pirahna bytes is making.

Jowood appears content to force out buggy crap and charge people for it. Hmm, how long will people buy titles from this series? I wonder how this one will sell...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
G3 > G1+G2 put togther. Even though it's still not that great.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I saw it in a store today. Noticed it's pretty cheap even for an expansion (Plus it's stand-alone, isn't it?), but I still didn't pick it up. I'll wait for some player reviews first.

darthdarther

Novice
Are the Gothic games all that worth playing? Reviews are mixed as hell. I'm looking for a reasonably open-ended RPG.

Mr. Wednesday

Scholar
darthdarther said:
Are the Gothic games all that worth playing? Reviews are mixed as hell. I'm looking for a reasonably open-ended RPG.

I only have 1 and 2. 1 is only open-ended for the first chapter out of six. 2 is semi-open-ended throughout the whole game, and is very replayable as there are three different guilds that give you different quests throughout the whole game. A lot of people like 1 for its grittier atmosphere though.

A user named cat

Gothic 1 and 2 are the best action RPGs the PC has seen. With Divine Divinity next to them. So yes, play them.

darthdarther

Novice
Phantasmal said:
Gothic 1 and 2 are the best action RPGs the PC has seen. With Divine Divinity next to them. So yes, play them.

That reminds me. Is Divine Divinity worth playing? I have it, but apparently there are serious issues that detract from the experience. After FO3, I cannot abuse myself further with another average action RPG.

Mr. Wednesday

Scholar
darthdarther said:
Phantasmal said:

That reminds me. Is Divine Divinity worth playing? I have it, but apparently there are serious issues that detract from the experience. After FO3, I cannot abuse myself further with another average action RPG.

I didn't like it. Not a fan of Diablo-likes, however.

A user named cat

If you don't mind Diablo 2 gameplay, then of course you should play it. One of the best soundtracks for a game to date, atmospheric, lots of quests, varied areas -- you won't find better from the genre. Just be warned the dungeon near the beginning is long and not very fun, but the game is great towards the middle.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gothic 3 was the only Gothic I won, it wasn't that bad, I don't mind playing it again. I am one of the lucky few that got it working without any problems and the bugs didn't bother me.

So they didn't fix the combat in this expansion? Still have the stun lock problem?

Circuitbreaker

Liturgist
Judging from comments on one of the German fansites, the expansion will be riddled with bugs. The developers might be different but due to time constraints (they had to make an expansion for The Guild 2 in the same time as well) there was far too little time to properly test and polish this expansion.

jaylittle

Scholar
Expecting a Gothic III expansion to be fun is like expecting that getting raped a second time in the back of a truck stop bathroom stall by some big hick named "Bubba" would be a more enjoyable experience than it was on the first go around.

That's the definition of insanity. Or maybe it just means you are a fag. Heh.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Wow the game is cheap and that makes me suspicious, when PC games are this cheap its either because they are GOTY editions, in the bargin bin, from an Indy dev house or really really crappy.

I don't see any reviews of it on Amazon.com maybe they are doing the Spore thing again , although amazon has it listed as available they also say its shipping in 3-5 weeks.

Pseudofool

Scholar
I didn't encounter the bug fest that others did in Gothic 3, so I'll wait to hear from not-so-bitter folks. Evidently a new patch was coming out the day of release. I might just bite the bullet and buy this thing.

As for combat, I understand that enemies no longer have infinite endurance...so that's something...

jaylittle

Scholar
It wasn't bugs for me. It was:

1) Crappy combat system in which all you did was hit the mouse button to attack and run like hell from invincible boars.

2) Crappy story with very little meat.

3) Armor that was meaningless.

4) VERY SLOW LOADING TIMES

5) The fact that Gothic 3 was complete garbage compared to I and II.

A user named cat

Gothic 3 was just one big mess and still is. The fact that a few retards honestly believe it was better than 1 or 2 is just facepalm to the tenth degree. It was the Oblivion of the series, with a Jowood touch to do it. Even the initial load up time was around 2 minutes.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, Gothic 3 is definitely the Oblivion of the series.

That said, they did do good things with it too; the world feels alive, and some of the areas are just amazing when it comes to atmosphere and design( not as great as some of the areas in G1, but better than many of the areas in G2 ). Music was great, too.

But yeah, the rest of the game elements are inferior to those of its the prequels, although it was for the infinite amount of bugs, performance problemes and combat that the game was slaughtered.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
G1>Night of Raven > G2 > G3. I hoped Forsaken Gods is good as expansion to G2, but I guess I was totally wrong?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Pseudofool said:
I didn't encounter the bug fest that others did in Gothic 3, so I'll wait to hear from not-so-bitter folks.

Why don't you ask VD?

I've only played the first game, but I sure as fuck hope it isn't the best of the series, like some of you have been claiming. That game was a severe kick in the balls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom