Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Good Sci-Fi RPGs

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I liked Escape Velocity: Nova at the time.

I tried the demo awhile ago, think I needed to install an ancient version of Quicktime but I managed to get it to work.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm bored of fantasy medieval crap. Are there any good sci-fi RPGs out there? (ones that I can actually play, not stuff that is in early access)

Everyone claims they are sick of fantasy but then produces shallow pretenses why they can't buy alternative genre game x before proceeding to buy the next Divinity game.

Last edited:

Lostpleb

Learned
Try Neuro Hunter. You'll be getting an... experimental blend of Deus Ex, System Shock and Gothic.

There is also that CYOA from the late 80s that was called "Le Dormeur de l'Infini". It's almost impossible to find today, let alone in English, so I'm still looking. There is apparently quite a bit of nostalgia around that game; the floppy disk --which I lost long ago-- is likely worth a couple hundred bucks at the minimum.
:negative:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Who are you and what have you done with Ninjerk

A shapeshifter who takes on the appearance and mannerisms of any non-shitty poster and proceeds to drain their posting history of any trace of incline.

As for Ninjerk, well, let's just say the same thing that happened to him will eventually happen to every poster outside of the Politics forum.

On topic: Rogue Galaxy is an OK game if you can into Wapanese RPGs. You can play it on PCSX2 just fine, and it looks great.

:desu:

Last edited:

TheWorld

Educated
I kinda like Infinite Space for ds. I didn't finish it but,up to where I was, the the combat was a bit boring but the atmosphere and story quite good.

Hyperion

Arcane
Rogue Galaxy was the first thing that popped in my mind as well, but I didn't think it'd be well received in a GRPG thread. Parasite Eve, and Xenoblade: Chronicles + X are also options.

Parasite Eve is the only one that's turn-based. Nor is it a Space Opera type like Rogue Galaxy.

rezaf

Cipher
Just in case someone haplessly stumbles across the thread years later, there's also some elephants in the room, like those obscure Star Wars RPGs you might have heard of: Knights of the Old Republic and it's sequel. Also, Torment: Tides of Numenera was just released. :P
Also, I guess Underrail could pass as scifi? Maybe the GeneForge series, too?

Other than that, there's games that were all the rage back in the day and are now all but forgotten, like Hellgate: London or Space Siege.
Especially the former could be enjoyable when modded, iirc.
Other games that were forgotten to begin with, like Maximus XV Abraham Strong Space Mercenary.

In case roguelikes count, there's also Approaching Infinity, but it's from Shrapnel. *shudders*

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Half of the titles mentioned in this thread are not SF but fantasy in space (or not even as much but just weirder fantasy) or not CRPG in the first place (Star Control 2 - great game but crpg it is not).

Rezaf tries to get it right and mentions some sf titles. Add to that a rl or two that have been mentioned earlier and voila, that's about it for (good) sf crpg.

Just saying.

Zenith

Arbiter
Depends how far you're willing to stretch the definition of RPGs. There's Consortium - a kind of backstory-heavy FPP talking sim with a couple of optional fights, at some point it's supposed to be getting a vapourware sequel that's going to be more Deus Ex-y.
Then some people actually call EYE: Divine Cybermancy an RPG. It has stats, hacking and X-Com-style research, but it's closer to Killing Floor honestly, except you're running around completing pointless tasks. Some of the best feeling shooting of the decade though.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
I liked Escape Velocity: Nova at the time.

I tried the demo awhile ago, think I needed to install an ancient version of Quicktime but I managed to get it to work.

I enjoyed that series a lot back in the day. Just FYI, there is an open source game like it in development (currently v 0.9.6), Endless Sky.

Probably worth checking if you're into Sci-Fi. At least the escape velocity series had different factions and branching storylines (if you chose to pursue them). Havent played enough of Endless Sky yet to ascertain those aspects for myself.

Lostpleb

Learned
Rogue Galaxy was the first thing that popped in my mind as well, but I didn't think it'd be well received in a GRPG thread. Parasite Eve, and Xenoblade: Chronicles + X are also options.

Parasite Eve is the only one that's turn-based. Nor is it a Space Opera type like Rogue Galaxy.
Parasite Eve is not turn-based, since its battles follow the Attack Wait Gauge gimmick that Squaresoft was so fond of during the 90s. The feature that really made it stand out was that you had to avoid the attacks of your enemies in real time while your bar was filling up which, at the time, was a system that you could only really find in lower quality games like Quest 64/Holy Magic Century.

The story plays out like a contemporary horror thriller with a small touch of sci-fi. The sequel, on the other hand, was a dogshit, watered-down Resident Evil wannabe... then Square went even more full retard with The 3rd Birthday.

Still a nicely rounded game, though. Bullet time-like combat systems are underrated and underutilized for some reason.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I heard the Sega Genesis/Megadrive 16-bit ports of Starflight and Buck Rogers: Countdown To Doomsday are excellent, possibly the best existing ports of those games.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The problem with the port of Buck Rogers: Countdown To Doomsday is that you want to export your characters to the sequel, which is not as good as the first game but still very good, and is not available on genesis, so you want to play the DOS version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom