Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Good Old Games Relaunching

StrangeCase

Educated
It's usually a bad thing if your marketing stunts make customers feel jerked around. :?

Elzair

Cipher
Seriously, you guys need to fucking chill. It was a lulzy stunt, and now it is over. As Darth Roxor said, chillax.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Ausir said:

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

BRING ON THE CILICE BELTS!!

NUN_CILICE_FULL_04.jpg

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
it's not like they wanted to put ads on graves, have people tattooed with them or offered money for naming children after game characters....

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, it's not like they murdered puppies.

Pointless excuses are pointless. Digital download is a sales service. That's about trust. If people feel they can't trust GOG anymore, any amount of people, that's screwed up.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Brother None said:
*sighs* I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

I know perfectly fine what you mean, but goddamn, you can't tell me that all those superraging reactions aren't exaggerated as shit.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, if basically nothing has changed then why the whole "we can't continue like this" drama?

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Relax... take a deep breath... nothing has changed.

If you use GOG in the first place your using it because it has no stupid DRM (you know, the no internet activation or copy protection thing needed). You should be downloading and burning your own disk anyway just in case ITZ happens and GOG or the Internet fails.

They generated the buzz they needed. Remember children, any publicity (good or bad) is good publicity.

I will have no problem using them in the future :thumbsup:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Apparently after selling abandonware with scene cracks and a dosbox config they thought they can get away with anything.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
People are overreacting. That said, the guys at CD Projekt/GoG have always trended towards annoyingly stupid humor and love taking backhanded shots at Steam which is hilarious because they have no qualms selling Witcher through it. More likely than not the gist of the stunt was yet another veiled shot at Steam in that it asks 'where would you be if your digital distribution website shut down' -- meanwhile GoG gives you the ability to download any game and store it on your own physical backup. So, yeah, they're pandering to their hardcore users, i.e., the people that own 40+ titles and have an anti-DRM fetish.

Hooray, you're DRM free... that's not exceedingly hard to do when you're offering dosboxed warez that aren't worth slapping DRM on in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I own about four or five titles on GoG, mostly for convenience sake and never have I paid even their full prices (as their price points are often ludicrous given what they offer) but they either need to get over themselves or actually offer something like oh... say... Witcher 2 DRM free (which I highly doubt they will) otherwise they are just hypocrites pandering to the anti-DRM fetish crowd.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Darth Roxor said:
Brother None said:
*sighs* I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

I know perfectly fine what you mean, but goddamn, you can't tell me that all those superraging reactions aren't exaggerated as shit.

I'm with Darth Roxor on this one.
Seriously, as I wrote in another thread, we all know that everyone will keep on using GOG, at least everyone who used it before. And because of that stunt, most likely even more will come.
Nobody can seriously be butthurt enough to stop using GOG ;)

Some will rage, but even those will come back. Plus they get a better service now.

Shannow

Waster of Time
:/ Well, I guess it's not too tough on me that GOG died. I've already purchased and secured all the games that interested me there. Still sad that such a charming business model wasn't able to survive in today's corporate hell.

Rest in peace, GOG :salute:

deuxhero

Arcane
mindx2 said:
deuxhero said:
Hmm, to get BG up do they only need to deal with Atari, or EA as well?

I'm curious about this as well. How is the D&D license "hell" being worked out?

I meant more that EA owns Bioware than that the own the D&D license. Though that is also a valid point.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
deuxhero said:

Atari and Interplay. BioWare doesn't have any rights to Baldur's Gate, I wouldn't think, it's just the developer. Developers have no rights :smug:

EDIT: wait no Interplay gave back their rights to Atari in a deal, forgot about that. I guess Atari/WotC is the main person you have to deal with, tho the troubles between those two makes it a pain in the ass.

Silellak

Cipher
Shannow said:
:/ Well, I guess it's not too tough on me that GOG died. I've already purchased and secured all the games that interested me there. Still sad that such a charming business model wasn't able to survive in today's corporate hell.

Rest in peace, GOG :salute:
Uh hi, welcome to the thread. Did you check the title when you came in?

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
still...

love to the Warzava pact countries.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Brother None said:
deuxhero said:

Atari and Interplay. BioWare doesn't have any rights to Baldur's Gate, I wouldn't think, it's just the developer. Developers have no rights :smug:

EDIT: wait no Interplay gave back their rights to Atari in a deal, forgot about that. I guess Atari/WotC is the main person you have to deal with, tho the troubles between those two makes it a pain in the ass.

That's correct, Atari owns all rights for D&D Video games. NWN and BG series included.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I never bought anything from gog, but I guess that whole marketing stunt is working pretty favorably for them, as it's the current talk on a lot of gaming boards.

Bad publicity is publicity anyway, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom