Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Good" Old Games needs a new name

DaveO

Erudite
They released Crusaders of Might and Magic at GoG. Let's begin the Descent Into Undermountain(they might as well make that the next GoG release)!

P.S. - I'd rename the site to Generic Old Games.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
16789 posts. 85% which contain the word shit. 15% which contain the word ARMA.

:thumbsup:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
just like the history channel GoG will always have new titles available because with the passing of each year more games become old

soon perhaps operation flashpoint will be on sale as well

baronjohn

Cipher
OFP was on sale on GoG. It was removed (presumably because the codies are fags), but those of us who bought it can still redownload it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It doesn't belong to CM anymore. That's why it was removed.

Remember BIS sueing/lawyering CM over OFP a few years back? May be a result.

CM can still rape the name though.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DaveO said:
P.S. - I'd rename the site to Generic Old Games.

yeah, like where are all the Gold Box games? Where are all the classic Lucas Art's games etc....

While they do have an impressive list so far, it's become quite stagnant. Though the start of the EA classic games was pretty cool.

They really need to work on the actual Good old Games and get them into their catalog.

baronjohn

Cipher
They've probably already asked every publisher under the sun. Do the publishers you want games from still exist? If they're gone, the rights are probably with some gnome lawyer firm or the creditors.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Jaesun said:
yeah, like where are all the Gold Box games? Where are all the classic Lucas Art's games etc....

While they do have an impressive list so far, it's become quite stagnant. Though the start of the EA classic games was pretty cool.

They really need to work on the actual Good old Games and get them into their catalog.
Lots of games are exclusively on other platforms, and there's the simple fact that a lot of copyright holders that either don't want their games sold, who have differences and don't want to work together, who simply can't be found/contacted/etc. Combine that with the no-DRM thing, and it's not surprising that there are only a handful of publishers willing to sell on GOG.com. There isn't much they can do except try to sort things out, get hold of the right people and do their best to persuade them to change their minds.

EDIT: Holy shit, when I originally posted this I must have been drunk or something. Edited so that I actually make sense.

made

Arcane
Jaesun said:
where are all the Gold Box games? Where are all the classic Lucas Art's games etc....
On abandonia
face.gif

Cmon fellas, you know where you want this thread to go.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I posted a while back they should be looked at as "Good Ol' Games." That slight change would allow to sell damn near anything... and since they already do, whatever.

They should really start selling indie games that "feel" like the classics and expand their pricing to sell newer stuff as well. I would like to buy a lot of stuff there since it's DRM free... that's worth supporting in my opinion.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Jaesun said:
I'm pretty sure they would like to have LucasArts and SSI games even more than you do, but remember they have some pretty set requirements (no DRM, the price range, etc) and many publishers don't like that. They're usually pretty straightforward about which companies they're negociating with in the forums - and EA was mentioned a long time before they finally made a deal. And TBH I'm not that bothered with the lack of Gold Box or LucasArts since I already have all of them (some in multiple copies too...)

baronjohn said:
They've probably already asked every publisher under the sun. Do the publishers you want games from still exist? If they're gone, the rights are probably with some gnome lawyer firm or the creditors.

Can't they just download these from Abandonia and put a price tag on it? :gnomeface:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom