Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good "Exploration RPGs"?

Binary

Liturgist
SuicideBunny said:
Binary said:
I have to agree that MMOs have, generally speaking, bigger landscapes to see

If you don't like monthly fees, Guild Wars Prophecies is probably your best bet - you can get the GW:P+GW:EotN combo pretty cheap these days
prophecies is big, but it's a nightmare for explorers. bad, buggy map design and essentially nothing interesting to see in any of them.
factions and nightfall are much better options than prophecies.

Absolute and total nonsense. Factions is limited and explorer-unfriendly. Nightfall is only slightly and marginally better but way less varied in landscapes.

Prophecies has the map variety in terms of landscape (barren, ice, forest, tropical, rainforest, volcano, desert) and the world is open with freedom of exploration without being limited by missions

Data4

Arcane
Nael said:
Data4 said:
Nael said:
Data4 said:
Try an MMO. Seriously, the gameplay may be crap, but there is some fun to be had just checking out the various locations. Even WoW is good for that for a time. LOTRO is also good for a nice, albeit scaled down representation of parts of Middle Earth. I'm partial to how they did the Shire.

Both WoW and LOTRO have free trials.

If you wanna pay a monthly fee to walk around join a fucking gym, fatass.

-10 for trolling fail. I'll let Ebonsword decide what he does or doesn't want to pay for. Some of us have jobs and can afford a monthly subscription, should we so choose.

Hit a little too close to home, eh? :cry:

Priceless. :lol:

Nael

Arcane
ghostdog said:
Gothic 1 , 2 as already mentioned and Wizardry 8.

As much as I love Wiz8 one thing that I didn't like about it was something that Fez mentioned about being "boxed in". There are opportunities to explore in the game, sure. But the maps have that walled off, walking around in a giant bowl feeling that I don't dig so much. That's why I prefer the MM series over Wiz8 from an exploration standpoint. Character/party development in Wiz8 trumps MM however, IMHO.

EDIT; One good thing I can say about exploration in Wiz8 however is that there are a lot of big encounters one can miss in their first playthrough. I never saw the the "Undead Cathedral" in my first 3 games. All I have to say is that Fang is fucking awesome for a shield using fighter/tank.

/2 cents

fastpunk

Arbiter
The Gothic series are good for exploration. I can't speak for Gothic 1 but G2 is really good. I also got G3 a few days ago and I'm loving it so far, though performance is a little shaky. My guess is 1GB of RAM just isn't enough for it. Good game though, despite what most people say.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Trash said:
The avernum games are situated in a huge underground world that I think is a blast to explore. Other than that Gothic 2 and Ultima 7 are two of the best exploration rpg's I know off.
True, all this. I also enjoyed explosing the island in Geneforge very much.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Thanks for the recommendations!

I picked up a used copy of Arx Fatalis for $6 at Gamestop the other day and I've been playing it for a bit. I'm liking it so far--it feels very much like Morrowind. Very atmospheric.

It does seem to be a bit linear, though, but maybe that will change after I make more progress.

I'll keep my eye out for cheap copies of some of the other games mentioned, too.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
the story is linear, but there are multiple solutions or approaches to nearly everything, and some hidden stuff that influences the ending.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom