Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good entry into JRPGs for a skeptic

Arryosha

Learned
Never really played a jrpg beyond messing around for a few hours (I own Persona 4, Ocarina of Time, Trails in the Sky, Chrono Trigger, and Dragons Dogma), but my limited experience has made me skeptical that they are for me. However, I'm in the mood to try something out of my comfort zone, and I figure quality is quality. Is there a jrpg that would be most likely to convert a skeptic? It doesn't have to be like a wrpg--in fact, I bounced off Dragon's Dogma pretty hard. I'd rather play a pure jrpg that is high quality than a hybrid. So I really have no conditions other than that it be available on PC.

I'm considering: FFVI, FF12, Dragon Quest XI or giving a more serious shot at Persona 4 or Trails in the Sky

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
If you messed around with Persona 4 but ultimately put it down what turned you off it? If you liked the combat but found the life sim aspects cringy I'd recommend SMT III, I'm not a massive JRPG fan myself but really enjoyed that one and the remaster is on sale on Steam at the moment.

Arryosha

Learned
If you messed around with Persona 4 but ultimately put it down what turned you off it? If you liked the combat but found the life sim aspects cringy I'd recommend SMT III, I'm not a massive JRPG fan myself but really enjoyed that one and the remaster is on sale on Steam at the moment.
To be honest I didn't really give it much of a chance. I generally find jrpg combat to seem simplistic, but this could be because I only played a few hours. The life sim aspects were fine. I'll look at SMT III, though, thanks.

Anonona

Learned
For pure jrpg I reccommend SMT III, FF V, Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter and Resonance of Fate for their gameplay. The first two are more classical on their combat system, whime the latter two are very unique experiences. Dragon Quest games may be also be good as starting point. They are the archetypical Jrpgs, so if you like them is probable you will find other jrpgs to your liking.

Now, even though you say you don't like hybrids, you may enjoy Tactical rpgs like FF Tactics, Disgaea, Tactics Ogre, Langrisser and the like. Usually they have better combat than the average jrpg.

You also have japanese blobbers like the Etrian Oddysey saga. They are pretty good.

My recommendations would be:
  • Final Fantasy 9
  • Final Fantasy 10 (play the PS2 or PS3 releases, not the PS4/Steam rerelease as it botches the facial animations and look of the character models)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 1 (preferably the Wii or 3DS releases, not the Switch rerelease)
  • Trails of Cold Steel 1
  • Valkyria Chronicles 1
These four games are modern enough (ie, nothing archaic like NES or SNES Final Fantasy, doesn't have blocky models or a bad translation like FF7 or ugly looking character models or counterintuitive mechanics like FF8). They have fantastic aesthetics and music. The characters are likeable and the story is engaging. The English translations and voice dubs are good. The only caveats is that FF9 is easy and doesn't challenge you, and Xenoblade has MMO-esque combat about pressing buttons on cooldown and has a cacophony of voicelines going off during battle, which can be a little grating. FF10 has decent combat (though the menu to allocate state points to your characters is a little too time consuming to use). Valkyria Chronicles has interesting missions. Trails of Cold Steel has far and away the most engaging combat and character building of these games and is quite challenging if you play on hard or nightmare.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I generally find jrpg combat to seem simplistic, but this could be because I only played a few hours.
JRPG combat does tend to ease you into things, and aside from that, low difficulty in many can render complexity meaningless even when it does show up.

Avoid Final Fantasy games, only a handful have decent complexity and they all lack the challenge to make use of it.

I'll second the recommendation of SMT 3; it'll ramp up quickly and there's some challenge as long as you're not reading a guide to do some broken shit and it's about as close to a traditional jrpg as you can get that fills that niche. It's fairly mature in tone as well if that's a factor. Don't play on hard, it's a dick puncher that will cause a lot of resets from RNG.

Breath of Fire 3 doesn't get quite as crazy, but if you were considering Dragon Quest games for the atmosphere, I'd strongly recommend BoF 3; it's very charming and has much better gameplay, though it is a very slow start before you get into masters and dragon genes and such. Probably the only JRPG I know of that successfully walks the line between colourful kid friendly stuff and mature themes. It's also very, very pretty.

Those are probably the only really traditional jrpgs I'd recommend to someone that's bounced off the genre before due to simplicity, but I've got a lot more I'd recommend that aren't quite traditional (or quite japanese) but are excellent games that get lumped in that category:

Monster Sanctuary has basically no story to speak of, but the combat is excellent- lots of crunch, lots of difficulty by the endgame. Fairly quick to start too. Play on hard.

FFT is great but it's definitely a tactics hybrid as opposed to a traditional jrpg. Troubleshooter is arguably a better version of that with more complexity, made by korean devs. I'd throw in Labyrinth of Touhou 2 as well; it's basically a wizardry dungeon blobber without the first person perspective though. Great combat however, rather unique 12 man party with 4 in combat at a time system.

If you're into open world stuff, SaGa Frontier and Romancing SaGa games are traditional jrpgs that basically just drop you into the world right away and let you find quests, dungeons, and places to get killed. Crystal Project is an excellent game made by a single dev that works jrpg style combat and a complex set of classes into an open world 3D platformer. Note for all of these I mean open world in the sense that the gameplay is completely nonlinear and you can stumble your way into areas with very powerful enemies and loot pretty much right away, and there's little to no handholding telling you where to go. They're not a series of big empty fields you spend hours walking across in search of something to do.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I've found Vay to be relatively easy in the beginning (too easy actually).

Dragon Warrior is fine but don't expect much to it. Gets better after 2 I hear. (Where I stopped).

I liked Shining Force and Lunar which are both so easy. My problem with jrpgs is starting them and never finishing them. I just get bored for some reason in those early ones. It took a lot of focus to finish Phantasy Star 2-4. And 3 almost threw me off but I found the combat hilarious. Mobs were so fucking silly and simplistic. Tbf, I only played 1 ending so meh.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I generally find jrpg combat to seem simplistic, but this could be because I only played a few hours.

I also find your typical jRPG combat uninteresting. I recommend Anonona's suggestion and trying a tactical jRPG. Something like Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre would be a good place to start.

Falksi

Arcane
Phantasy Star 4 is a great balance of everything, and one of the best out there anyway. Great starting point for a CRPG fan as you can still feel it's blobber/wrpg influences in things such as the dungeons and combat POV.

Similar can be said for the SMT series too, with another shout here for SMT3, although that's a much tougher game than most JRPGs.

Tales of Berseria is great if you like action combat, as you get to play as the bad guys and it's got some very funny skits.

Another vote here too for Valkyria Chronicles too, a real original spin on tactics.

Shining Force 2 is a brilliant blend of simplicity, accessibility and fun. If you play this in "Super" difficulty (the hardest setting) you'll have plenty to get your teeth into. It's still not hard, but it challenges in a stimulating way.

Both the Yakuza and Persona series are great, but probably better left for later. And I second what Damned Registrations says, leave Final Fantasy for now. It's a series with some good entries, but most of them feel geared towards young children with how they are both written and play.

Reinhardt

Arcane
go latest dragon quest for pure distilled jrpg experience with modern graphics.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
FFV has an actual class system, with (kind of) multiclassing.
But other than that it's rather bland.

Anyway, why don't play good games like SOLASTA instead?

Bisclavret

Novice
Give Chrono Trigger another shot. It essential title with great graphic and music, good story and nice not diluted(eg grinding) pacing. I know a coupe of people who "converted" to jrpgs after playing it.

LoH: Trails in The Sky is also an interesting choice its well written( every character has something to say and it changes depending on situation) , has interesting combat, also the side quests are really addictive ( some are imposible to find without walktrough unfortunatelly).

I would also recommend first two Suikoden games.

silphCo

Literate
Final Fantasy VI and Phantasy Star IV don't require any mental gymnastics to call fun. Persona games are weird, and later entries lean hard into weebery. I'd play FFVI and PSIV first, then Shin Megami Tensei 3.

Puukko

Arcane
Going to echo the recommendations for SMT in particular. Nocturne for a well-rounded representation of the series, Strange Journey for a pure blooded dungeon crawler.

The Xeno series is a huge timesink if you really get into it, but the first Xenoblade Chronicles works fine on its own and is great if you're looking for a more adventure sort of thing. Definitive edition with OG music is probably the way to go.

Is strategy fine? Fire Emblem has become one of my favorite series, but I haven't played a game yet where I thought it was perfect as an entry point. A lot of people started with the GBA games but I have little experience with those. Echoes (remake of the second game on the NES) has impressed me in many ways during my in-progress playthrough and I think it would work as a first entry.

All of these would require emulation which is going to be a theme if you want to play JRPGs. Nocturne on PC is not very good. Ask if you need pointers with the technicalities.

Arryosha

Learned
Nocturne on PC is not very good.
Why is this so? I read it was mostly only cosmetic problems

Does anyone know if the Phatasy Star IV version on Steam is acceptable or iis it better to emulate?

Arthandas

Prophet
Nocturne on PC is not very good.
The port is shit but the PC version is still better than others. With Nocturne Graphics Configurator you can remove 30 fps lock, render the game at 4K, increase shadow res, enable ultrawide... Not to mention ReShade for post processing effects or RTSS/Special K for framepacing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom