Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Diablo 2 mods?

Eyeball

Arcane
Since D3 is about to be released (and looks to be a major fuck-you to anyone not already furiously sucking Blizzard's gold plated cock), I had me a hankerin' to play some D2, finding that it is still a darn good game in its own right.

However, I now seek a new Diabloey experience, and since Grim Dawn or Torchlight 2 won't be out for ages, can anyone recommend some good mods for D2 to play with?

I am only interested in single-player content and would particularly like for the base game to be left relatively untouched but with a more engrossing item/loot system, possibly also add-ons of new quests or maps.

I tried the Median 2 mod but ragequit at the superspeedy actionfest it was where half the skills did not appear to work correctly and the ones that did were way overly complex for a game so beautiful in its simplicity as D2.

So, can anyone recommend any mods that would add good single-player content and not fuck around too much with the classes or basic game?

Kraszu

Prophet
Back to hellfire it actually changes allot but in direction that you might like

http://bth.hugelaser.com/

"Back to Hellfire is a modification for Diablo II Lord of Destruction v1.10. It focuses on re-creating the feel and the atmosphere of Diablo and its expansion Hellfire while keeping some features from the sequel. Those are features that improve the gameplay in my opinion - arrows, boss graphics, mercenaries to name a few. Don't expect to get a full re-creation of Diablo and Hellfire in the mod - it's very different yet still close to them. After all, if Back to Hellfire was exactly Diablo: Hellfire, what would be the point in it?

Back to Hellfire has a different storyline to suit the bigger level environment scattered in the five acts. For example, you will find the Nest in the town of Lut Gholein, and not in Tristram. I can't limit Back to Hellfire to one act. Even if I could, I wouldn't do it, I love variation. I think this brings more fun in the gameplay.

So if you liked Diablo and Hellfire, if you love to get scared from monsters and advance slowly through the dark gothic levels - this mod is for you. Hope you will enjoy playing it at least as much as I did while creating it. "

larpingdude18

Educated
http://plugy.free.fr/en/index.html

"PlugY, The Survival Kit is structured as options that can be enabled or disabled by editing the configuration file.
This plugin is localized in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Polish.
Availables features list :
- Infinite storage space in the stash (up to 4,294,967,296 personal pages!)
- Shared storage space in the stash (up to 4,294,967,296 shared pages too!)
- Enabled the ladder only runewords out of realms.
- Local World Event and Uber Quest for singleplayer and multiplayer off-realm !
- Can open Cow Level Portal even when player have kill the Cow King in that difficulty.
- Unassign assigned skills and stats points.
- Change the selected language.
- Always regenerate maps in SinglePlayer like in MultiPlayer.
- Automatically execute /players X when you launch a new game.
- Added some pages for display more characters stats like %MF.
- Display item level in its popup.
- Launch any number of Diablo II games on the same computer.
- Increase the stash to 10x10 squares.
- Change the save path directory.
- Always display Mana and Life values above the globes.
- D2 can load all files, even those opened with Microsoft Excel (disabled by default).
- Display the stats current value (without magical bonus) like Magic/gold find or maximum resistances."

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I had a lot of fun with Nezeramontias until I got to the later parts of the game, where things just become silly. If you're not looking for a long term investment though it's definitely worth a look. The main gimmick is that enemies can drop their souls, which you can equip as rings for stat boosts/abilities based on the enemy. So a ghost soul might give you lifedrain, while a quillrat might give you attacker takes damage or even a thorns aura. Oh, and the other thing is that gold is always useful. You can buy permanent stat increases in the long run, and all sorts of other items and shit to spend gold on in the short term. You'll never have enough.

Also, if you're looking at playing some modded D2, this is a must have: http://snej.d2maniacs.org/forum/index.php?topic=18954.0

Lets you install multiple mods easily, and keep all of them/their plugy stashes/saves separate.

Padre

Liturgist
Median 2 ? That was like 5 years ago?

I would recommend PlugY with Median XL version Omega2. Quite balanced (as in every char can wipe screens of enemies and everything moves so fast it can give you a seizure ) and fun. Has some interesting spells and mechanics added.

Grimlorn

Arcane
would have been nice if there were a mod so you could hotkey each ability without having to equip them to the mouse.

Eyeball

Arcane
Thank you for the recommendations, gentlemen - sadly, the content altering mods suggested all seem to

A) Fuck around with the skill system in an amateurish way (+30% XP skill? Transform into Duriel skill? WTF!)

B) Add shitty looking retextures of existing monsters and imports of monsters from other games looking even shittier.

C) Add retarded new inventory items, such as a candy bar giving you +1 stat points as a random drop.

Say I just wanted a bunch of new loot and types of armour/weapon to hunt for, with new bonuses and stuff, what mod would be useful to my purposes?

I am a casual D2X player, by the way - once I beat Baal in Normal, I tend to get bored and play another character, and I am hence not that interested in nightmare/hell high level content.

Kraszu

Prophet
Eyeball said:
Thank you for the recommendations, gentlemen - sadly, the content altering mods suggested all seem to

A) Fuck around with the skill system in an amateurish way (+30% XP skill? Transform into Duriel skill? WTF!)

BTH doesn't.

Eyeball said:
B) Add shitty looking retextures of existing monsters and imports of monsters from other games looking even shittier.

Probably but they feat nicely to BTH. It also changes music to Diablo 1, and add many monsters from Diablo 1.

Eyeball said:
C) Add retarded new inventory items, such as a candy bar giving you +1 stat points as a random drop.

BTH doesn't, and it adds negative affixes to items.

Eyeball said:
Say I just wanted a bunch of new loot and types of armour/weapon to hunt for, with new bonuses and stuff, what mod would be useful to my purposes?

I am a casual D2X player, by the way - once I beat Baal in Normal, I tend to get bored and play another character, and I am hence not that interested in nightmare/hell high level content.

All of the items in BTH are new.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom