Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gone Home - adventure game from ex-Bioshock devs

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-09-ex-bioshock-devs-reveal-gone-home

The former BioShock developers at The Fullbright Company have unveiled their first game: Gone Home.

Gone Home, which is at an early stage of development, is a non-violent first-person exploration and investigation game.

In it you explore a modern, residential locale and uncover what happened there by exploring and investigating. "We're really interested in pushing toward simulation, both in the sense of the physics system but also in allowing the player to open any door or drawer they'd logically be able to and examine what's inside, down to small details," Fullbright co-founder Steve Gaynor wrote in a Gone Home blog update.

"If we do it right, these interactive and simulation elements will work together to make you that much more invested in discovering the story woven into the environment."

The developers released the first in-game screenshots, below, and a pre-alpha video showcasing the atmospheric gameplay.

Gone Home, built using the Unity engine, is described as "PC native", and has been designed with a mouse and keyboard in mind, although it also works with a gamepad. A full trailer and reveal is expected later this year.

The Fullbright Company was itself unveiled only last week. It's made up of Steve Gaynor, a level designer who worked on BioShock 2 and BioShock Infinite; 2K Marin programmer Johnnemann Nordhagen; and editor/researcher Karla Zimonja.​

You can find the screens at Eurogamer.

I enjoy this kind of games when they're well done, so I'm kind of looking forward to this one.

Achilles

Arcane
It sounds interesting, how long until the inevitable Kickstarter?

Nope

Liturgist
Gameplay is non-existent and amounts to reading a bunch of notes written by an angsty teen. Takes one hour if you grit your teeth and read through all the wangsty bullshit. One and a half minute of picking up two keys and walking if you want the end screen. The twist is nothing more than
she's a lesbian/going through a phase and has run away from home! OMGZZZ

RPGMaster

Savant
Gameplay is non-existent and amounts to reading a bunch of notes written by an angsty teen. Takes one hour if you grit your teeth and read through all the wangsty bullshit. One and a half minute of picking up two keys and walking if you want the end screen. The twist is nothing more than
she's a lesbian/going through a phase and has run away from home! OMGZZZ

"Original, powerful themes. 9.5" - IGN. :troll:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Gone Home tells a story unlike any other game in recent memory, and yet it does so in a way that only a video game can. The masterfully executed environmental storytelling guarantees that each player will walk away from Gone Home with a different experience.

Despite being a very short experience, the mundane acts of walking through hallways, opening doors, or reading pieces of paper become a poignant adventure dealing with personal issues that are handled brilliantly and provide a strong basis for a great game. For that, Gone Home is as much an introspective journey into human life as it is a game so very worthy of your time.

Gone Home is the video game equivalent of those movies that nobody knows about, but the originality of which overturns the concept of cinema and pierces the big blockbuster movies like a small but sharp sword.

Play Gone Home because you want an engrossing and detailed environment to explore. Play it because you want something new and introspective from your games. Play it because you want to reconnect with a sibling or family member who has grown distant. Play it because ten years from now there will still be people playing and discussing its intricacies.

The Fullbright Company's first indie effort is backed up by a touching narrative, one paced incredibly well, that effectively engages players through the bulk of the game's short three-hour runtime.

Gone Home does only one thing but does it superbly, telling a touching story solely through exploration that makes it well worth experiencing.

Metascore 90 out of 100
Universal acclaim based on 29 Critics

:hearnoevil:

Dexter

Arcane
Gun Home - a major incline of Gone Home:

http://www.dorkly.com/video/58404/gun-home
Looks like something I would actually like to play, possibly. :lol: At least it has Gameplay and some Adolf in it.
I liked this one more since it hits a lot more Close to Home: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28073528/GoHo/GoHo.html

Best review for this: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/09/14/going-home-with-gone-home/
As the credits roll I burst into tears. I have Gone Home and I have gone home but I am not home.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom