Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Goldenland

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
What is this?
http://www.rpgcodex.net/gallery.php?album=39

And is it any good? It looks like it, but i cannot find it anywhere.

Also there are some isometric games in the screenshot section i never heard of.

Seal of Evil? Kult: Heretic Kingdoms? Harbinger?

I was looking forward to Metalheart: Replicants Rampage when i was young, but heard it's total shit. If it is not total shit, i probably want to check it out. So enlighten me, Codex.

Coyote

Arcane
Seal of Evil - sequel to Prince of Qin. I've never played it, but I have played through the first part of Prince of Qin. It has pretty mindless gameplay that felt very clunky to me while playing, as well as a horrible translation. Might have gotten better later on, though, I didn't get very far before growing tired of it. In its favor, it has a magic system based on the 5 Chinese elements that I've heard is very interesting (though it sounded like just another elemental rock-paper-scissors system to me). I've heard that Seal of Evil has a better translation and similar gameplay but don't know anything more about it.

Kult: Heretic Kingdoms (aka Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition) is a hack'n'slash that takes place in a relatively original setting. From what I remember, the gameworld's version of God was killed using a sword called the Godslayer, which serves as a MacGuffin throughout the game, and there's a sort of atheist inquisition in control who you work for at the start of the game, though you can break off from them later in the game. It had some interesting concepts, but didn't execute them very well IMO. For example, there are several original races, each of which you encounter once in a specific area of the world, where they will dump exposition about their kind on you before you move to the next area, never to encounter them again. It was just hard to get enthused about the lore, however unique it may be, with that sort of design. And the combat was nothing to write home about, either. It did have one cool feature where you could go into a parallel dimension called the Dreamworld, as well as an unusual hit point system and some choices (though IIRC, the only ones that really made any difference occurred about 5 minutes from the end of the game).

It's been a while since I played either of these, so my memory may be a bit off. Haven't played Harbinger or Goldenland.

Gosling

Liturgist
Don't have time to write in much detail right now but:

Goldenlands is pretty meh. It's got turnbased combat with action points iirc, but it's not very well executed and is extremely tedious. The char system is very simplistic and the quests are of fedex/kill variety and are not very clever overall. Some of them make you choose between different options, but they are rare and far between.

Kult: Heretic Kingdoms: what Coyote said. It had a cool concept of shifting between two parallel worlds and being able to solve problems in one world by doing stuff in the other. But in general it's very simple and linear hack and slash with someties interesting (but still linear) quests, potentially interesting world and an occasional nice touch of humour. It's really mediocre, but it had its charm.

Try both games if you have nothing else to play, just don't expect a lot of classic rpg goodness.

EDIT: Kult is really short and it's better that way, because you don't have time to grow tired of it. Goldenlands is longer and even if you can stomach the shitty beginning and start to like the more varied middle section it will eventually bore you to death. So out of the two I'd recommend Kult.

Misterhamper

Scholar
For some good isometric ARPG, try out Titan Quest Immortal Throne with the mod Underlord. A huge mod, mostly balancing and making the gameplay more exciting, 700mb, it basically fixes everything that was wrong with the original imo.

http://www.titanquest.net/tq-forum/thre ... -Underlord

Some of the new features:
All 9 masteries expanded and rebalanced, each going up to level 40 with 24 skills
New and Revised monsters with new skills
All set bonuses improved
New items, including monster infrequents, randomized unique jewelry, and easter eggs
New Mythic class of items above Legendary
Large number of charms and relics rebalanced and improved
Large number of items rebalanced and improved
Increased monster levels and spawning
Increased champion and hero monster chance to spawn

KalosKagathos

Learned
Goldenland's terrible, terrible shit. It's a fantasy Fallout clone made without any understanding of what made Fallout good. Combat's ruined by poor weapon and spell balance, and diplomacy isn't any fun because of the dreadful writing.

Underlord's great.

Gonchi

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014
Harbinger is Diablo sans multiplayer... IN SPACE!

The graphics were fairly nice, but everything else was terrible. Shitty writing, shitty levels, shitty combat. Avoid it.

I'd say the other games are worth a look if you can get them cheap enough or by not removing them from inventory. Heretic Kingdoms and Seal of Evil are decent enough, GoldenLand is pretty damn tedious right off the bat. I don't think I got all that far. IIRC, you can get a job as a courier for the postal office in the starting city. I thought it was pretty funny until they started to give me packages for locations all over the world map.

Did GoldenLand ever get an English localization? I know Strategy First was going to publish it at one point, but didn't. I played the Spanish translation, which if memory serves was pretty bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom