Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Chest update 0.4

sproket

Novice
Hi all,

Goldchest 0.4 is available for download. There are few significant improvements in this release.
* The game is now provided with a Java based installer so you don't need to have Java3D installed - the game installer will install those files for your.
This should work fine for Linux 32/64, Windows 32/64, and Mac.

* I added a Terrain view for outdoor exploration.
If you start a new game, exit the town from the south facing door. That will lead you to the outside. The tileset is
not really complete yet - I will replace it with a better set of graphics later on. Note that the game world is not
yet defined so it's possible to get stuck in some area outside where you won't be able to move (like in water).

* Added a bump sound in terrain mode.
This is currently just for testing sound in the game.

* Added treasure screen
After combat if the monsters were carrying anything you now have a screen to pick up those items and currency.

Documentation:
http://goldchest.sourceforge.net/docs.php

Download:
http://goldchest.sourceforge.net/download.php

Thanks!

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
In general I like the idea of a modernized Gold Box-like engine, but I am not very optimistic about this project.
# Improved class system. 4 basic classes (fighter, thief, mage, cleric) which gain through acquiring skills with very few restrictions.

Why is this part of the engine? The Gold Box engine was also used to make sci-fi games (Buck Rogers 1 & 2). I don't think game specific parts like your generic D&D fantasy classes here should be part of the core engine.

I suggest that you put such stuff in separate modules which can plugged-in/loaded as needed. Same thing applies to the magic system - write it as an optional module. I mean, it's your project, but if you want to "reimagine Gold Box" I don't think you should hardcode the AD&Dish fantasy elements. There are so many themes and systems which could work there, you know.

Also, I suggest shipping the engine with a small demo game. A naked engine without examples will probably never be popular. Finally, it's pretty hard to impossible for an engine to succeed in the non-commercial realm. There are thousands of unused free game engines lying around.

IMO, the key to success is a demo game whose code makes you think "Wow, this engine really makes game programming easy! I will use this instead of coding my own!" You know, hobby programmers love to re-invent the wheel (I am speaking from experience here), so I think your engine API really has to be sheer "first working demo running in 5 minutes" type of bliss. I.e. the API has to be extremely expressive (little code needed to accomplish things) and very easy to understand.

Otherwise I am pretty sure this one will end up being just another unused game engine.

BTW, will you engine ever support the creation of stand-alone game executables? Personally, I consider that a must. Forcing players to install Java and your engine is unacceptable IMO.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
BTW, I do not consider the ability to move in 8 directions instead of 4 (like in the original Gold Box) an improvement. Makes areas harder to navigate, at least for me (I am talking about the 3D/first mode mode here).

sproket

Novice
Hi copx,

"Why is this part of the engine? The Gold Box engine was also used to make sci-fi games (Buck Rogers 1 & 2). I don't think game specific parts like your generic D&D fantasy classes here should be part of the core engine. "

It's not actually but I don't have everything documented yet. But yes, it will use a module system to plug in whatever you want.

"I don't think you should hardcode the AD&Dish fantasy elements. There are so many themes and systems which could work there, you know."

True. The game engine can be used for other themes. In fact I'm not building any D&D rules per-se. At this point the game engine is alpha so I'm just at the stage of getting all the core parts in place. Eventually there will be a rules file that you can plug-in.

"Also, I suggest shipping the engine with a small demo game. A naked engine without examples will probably never be popular. Finally, it's pretty hard to impossible for an engine to succeed in the non-commercial realm. There are thousands of unused free game engines lying around. "

Yeah my plan is to build a complete stand alone game to serve as the background for the eventual MMO.

"IMO, the key to success is a demo game whose code makes you think "Wow, this engine really makes game programming easy! I will use this instead of coding my own!" You know, hobby programmers love to re-invent the wheel (I am speaking from experience here), so I think your engine API really has to be sheer "first working demo running in 5 minutes" type of bliss. I.e. the API has to be extremely expressive (little code needed to accomplish things) and very easy to understand."

Yeah, well first there is already a project called Dungeon Craft. Look it up - it's pretty cool! :) I'm not trying to replicate that with Goldchest although there will be some commonality. Most of the coding of Goldchest can be done with JavaScript language which is easy to learn and use.

My goal is to eventually make an MMO which can be extended by the players so the world can grow organically. You'll be able to add new areas and upload them into the shared on-line game. Compare that to WOW where users have to wait 3 years for a new version to come out. ;)

"BTW, will you engine ever support the creation of stand-alone game executables? Personally, I consider that a must. Forcing players to install Java and your engine is unacceptable IMO."

I chose Java because I want to support Linux and Mac as well as Windows.
It's fairly strait forward to build a stand-alone EXE from a Java application. Eventually I'll improve the install for the game.

Thanks for the feedback.

sproket

Novice
copx said:
BTW, I do not consider the ability to move in 8 directions instead of 4 (like in the original Gold Box) an improvement. Makes areas harder to navigate, at least for me (I am talking about the 3D/first mode mode here).

Yeah I waffle on this one as well. It does make navigation and collision detection a lot more complicated but on the other hand it allows for more interesting 'dungeon' areas.

What I'll do is add a setting to turn that on or off.

Thanks.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
sproket said:
It's not actually but I don't have everything documented yet. But yes, it will use a module system to plug in whatever you want.

Oh, good.

Yeah, well first there is already a project called Dungeon Craft. Look it up - it's pretty cool! :)

Thanks for the pointer, but I know about that project.

My goal is to eventually make an MMO

:x:
I just stopped caring about your project. Sorry, but online games aren't my cup of tea.

Whatever, good luck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom