Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Chest update 0.3 ready

sproket

Novice
Hello everyone!

Whew, it's been a while. I've been buried at work and settling into a new house. I finally had some time recently and put together the 0.3 release of goldchest.

So in this release I have:

* Added a calendar to track the time
* Added shop business hours and simple definitions in map files
* Added monster encounters to maps
* Added general scripting support
* Added interactive mode scripting
* Added experimental WallHeight properties
* Added plural words handling
* Added race adjustments in character roller
* Added experience points gained for traveling

If you download it you can almost smell a game in there somewhere.
:)

Over the holidays I'm going to spend the time working on documentation. I'll get the map and script file specifications up on my web site soon.

I'll post something when my web site has the new info.

Thanks for your interest and patience.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
will download and try later. anything in specific you'd like people to try?

sproket

Novice
Thanks. Well there are a few things like experimenting with buying skills and equipment and there's a barrel that you can use the interact option now with. There are a couple of places now where you can encounter monsters although the combat itself doesn't do much now. ;)

More info to follow.

sproket

Novice
Actually I plan to do another release in a week or so. My plan is to make this the first "editable" release.

I'm working on the documentation so you'd be able to modify and create your own maps and interactions in the game.

Stay tuned. :)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I get a splash screen then nothing.

You probably have old goldchest files in your My Documents folder; delete them. There's a note about it in the Read Me file.

sproket

Novice
Yeah. The files are not backward compatible yet. The game is still in Alpha. If you had an older version you need to delete the old data files.

If you didn't have an old version it might be that Java is not set with enough memory on your machine.

I'll get the next release up this weekend and I'll include a batch file to start it up with decent default memory settings.

Stay tuned.

SkeleTony

Augur
I get the same splash screen then nothing and I have never downloaded, installed or even heard of your game before.

sproket

Novice
Yeah the game runs as a jar file which means it uses the defaults for memory. Can you check game.log ? It would show an exception in there.

I'm working on a proper installer.

sproket

Novice
Thanks. Well there are various old games ported all the time. Check http://retroremakes.com/

But Goldchest is not a port - it's a from scratch redesign. I'm actually pretty far along now. I should have a workable game engine before Christmas. Once I have a few days off in a row I can cover a lot of ground.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom