Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News GOG version of Witcher 2 DRM free, QA session and more

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
commie said:
waywardOne said:
can i burn the download to cd? i'd like to be able to re-install without re-downloading.

Yes you can. Assuming of course that it fits on one DVD. I haven't tried copying larger files than what fits onto a DVD5, but since they are broken up into .bin files with an installer, I'm guessing that like with a steam backup you can split the files onto multiple disks and the installer will just ask you to insert the '.bin' file that is missing at which time you just put in the other disk. I'll be doing this as downloading over and over sucks and in Australia with capped DL, it's also an expensive waste of DL credit.

Of course there's also DVD9 (DL) and BDR (Blu Ray - though the media is still a bit expensive). But anyway, why would you download over and over anyway?? I've been buying digitally/torrenting for years now and have never had to re-download anything. Hard drives these days are so fucking cheap ($ per meg) than any other storage media. I picked up (another) 2TB drive the other day for under $90AU.

I have the advantage of multiple machines to throw them in, but still you can also just throw 'em into an external USB enclosure for archive purposes - add hubs if you need too etc... A quick check of my collection shows about 9TB of games (inc. console roms etc) archived this way. For the amount I... *cough*... collect, this works out by far the cheapest method.

True about the Aussie caps commie - but these days my cap with iiNet stands at 600GB (naked DSL2+ - std plans go to 1TB) per month - haven't managed to reach it yet and that's torrenting almost 24/7 (movies, music, TV, games etc.)

AlaCarcuss said:
As for digital downloads - meh, I honestly can't remember the last time I purchased a hard copy of a PC game (mostly 'cuase I torrent lol). Even when I do buy 'legit' - it's 100% digital. I see no value in hard copies anymore, they just take up space (and HD space is a lot cheaper and easier to expand than shelf space).

commie said:
My reason for being ambivalent towards physical copies stems from getting fuck all apart from a DVD in a plastic case and some pamphlet(manual). What's the real advantage, especially when many physical copies need constant internet connection or Steam to unlock anyway? OTOH, I'm liking the Potato version of TWitcher Collectors Edition, it's about the price of a normal game in the west, and comes will all that stuff...so I think I'll get that as well. I hardly buy anything so can splash out every once in a blue moon I guess.

Yeah, that's basically what I meant. The packaging is just crap and takes up physical space for no added value.

WalterKinde

Scholar
The Swag is the thing more than the game.
I dont think pc gamers has seen such extras in a physical game for quite a while, the enhanced witcher broke ground with its extras for the phyhsical copy and both the premium and super expensive collector's edition will break ground, i mean when was the last time a normal version of a game came with extras like what the premium version has at a normal price?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
WalterKinde said:
The Swag is the thing more than the game.
I dont think pc gamers has seen such extras in a physical game for quite a while, the enhanced witcher broke ground with its extras for the phyhsical copy and both the premium and super expensive collector's edition will break ground, i mean when was the last time a normal version of a game came with extras like what the premium version has at a normal price?

Meh. I've never got into any of that rubbish. Rings, figurines, cloth maps (tea towels) etc. Save for the occasional nice art book/novel/guide/manual, it's still mostly junk. A fucking bust.... please.

Of course I'd probably reconsider if they included something really cool - like an actual working magic 'wand of incineration' or a real UZI with GTA. :smug:

The old Ultima cloth maps do last though, depending on how many other tea towels you have. The amount of hours I used those things when playing the games...

The old paper maps for other games (Magic Candles, Might and Magics, etc) I have are still operational, but the middle tears (on the fold lines) and the discolouring have started really getting to work.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Well the witcher 2 may ship with securom, the other digital version @ impulse will be using securom so the physical edition might as well.
Thank you Atari.
They must really want to kill any secondhand sales, cause it cant be to stop file sharing.
No idea how severe this securom will be.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Jaesun said:
Data4 said:
Preordered and currently listening to the bonus soundtrack stuff.

Yeah me too. Been listening to these for a while this morning. Fucking love track 3.

Yep, listening to it ATM.

The game will be worth buying just for the music. :yeah:

made

Arcane
asper said:
They don't ship abroad, but anyway, I preordered at merlin.pl.
Sweet, 33 eurodollars incl shipping to Germania. Guess I'll grab that one.

rafaninja888

Novice
No DRM via GOG?.
Pre ordered although i may also get Collector's retail edition depending price and whats in it :)

Antihero

Liturgist
Not that I'm complaining or anything, but I'm honestly not sure what GOG stands to gain by having people preorder it (except good will and enthusiasm, which isn't nothing) when apparently you still have to purchase it like any other game on their site when it's released - I guess they just e-mail you an extra special reminder to actually buy it.

Also, I was feeling slightly b.h. about the five free games offered, but according to their FAQ at least there'll be an undisclosed alternative available if you already have all of them.

Nothing to lose except DRM, so preordered.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I am quite sure there will be server overloads on the day of its release, think of which another free game to ask for in case that happens and a whirlwind of whinging ensues.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'd preorder, but TW2 comes before enthusiast Sandy Bridge (Not necessarily using SB, but having the relevent products out from all companies is good when building a machine) and I barely ran the first game.

made

Arcane
deuxhero said:
I'd preorder, but TW2 comes before enthusiast Sandy Bridge (Not necessarily using SB, but having the relevent products out from all companies is good when building a machine) and I barely ran the first game.
Do not buy Jewish CPUs.

My Polish is fairly limited, but:
The Witcher's respones are presented in a fashion similar to that of the Mass Effect series -- the player is shown only a few words which suggest the tone, the actual spoken lines are worded differently.
That's really rather disappointing.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Elwro said:
Did you guys know that in TW2 you won't be able to see the actual dialogue lines Geralt will speak, before you choose your response? Why on Earth would they move to the inferior, immersion-breaking dialogue system? I'll be translating this later to share with all of you English speaking people.

(http://www.gram.pl/art_9gvkHu7_Wiedzmin ... zenia.html , in Polish)

Thanks Elwro!

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Thanks.

20110315140142_s.jpg

As I feared. Console. Artwork looks decent though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom