Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

ind33d

Educated
people should back up GOG games on SSDs and bury them underground like scientology did to hubbard's books in case our friends at sweet**** decide to "update" them for modern audiences

Hell Swarm

Educated
I do not have a Gog-Chan pic with Amazon tattooed on her ass ..... yet. Or she could be dressed as an Amazon.
Have you tried not being a faggot?
people should back up GOG games on SSDs and bury them underground like scientology did to hubbard's books in case our friends at sweet**** decide to "update" them for modern audiences
What good would that do? You will struggle to find a DVD drive in a PC these days. It won't be long until SSDs are ancient tech nothing supports.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I see this asshole is trying to be annoying. USB blurays exist fuck face. Maybe you should stop being a pussy bitch you dickless NEWBIE retard.

Hell Swarm

Educated
I see this asshole is trying to be annoying. USB blurays exist fuck face. Maybe you should stop being a pussy bitch you dickless NEWBIE retard.
And? We're starting to see USB plugs disappear as well. Or rather they becoming C type to C type connectors instead of the large block you insert. It's a fool's game to try and store data long term. It makes so many assumptions that are very unlikely to be true.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Such a quitter. I see you have no enthusiasm for gaming preservation. At the moment there are adapters and still plenty of old hardware floating around. And stuff seems to come back in various forms. Supposedly genZ is liking flip phones for some reason. Maybe they like Consumer Cellular (shrugs).

And, to be frankly honest, even if everything goes to some newer and newer bullshit way where old tech and software become absolutely obsolete, one can just quit and get some bloody fresh air. If people stop buying new and start buying old then companies will notice when their stock fails to move and they start taking hits.

SSD will be around for a while. What next? Crystals like superman. People will convert archives to newer storage. It is what archivists do and pirates. We always bury booty. Yarrr harr harr.

Cologno

Educated
And? We're starting to see USB plugs disappear as well. Or rather they becoming C type to C type connectors instead of the large block you insert. It's a fool's game to try and store data long term. It makes so many assumptions that are very unlikely to be true.
Just...stop talking, dude. You're an idiot.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I do not have a Gog-Chan pic with Amazon tattooed on her ass ..... yet. Or she could be dressed as an Amazon.
Have you tried not being a faggot?
He's got an avatar from a pedo game, what can you do.
What good would that do? You will struggle to find a DVD drive in a PC these days. It won't be long until SSDs are ancient tech nothing supports.
I'm sure SSD will stick around for a decade more. And later a new standard will appear so you'll be able to copy your offline library there.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
wtf, you don't have a DVD drive to install old games from DVDs and CDs?

I don't have floppy drives anymore, but that's simply because I don't really want them. Otherwise buying one for cheap is not a problem. If you don't have a desktop there are external ones that you connect through USB as well.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Ban pedos and report any one suspected to the feds?

I don't have floppy drives anymore, but that's simply because I don't really want them. Otherwise buying one for cheap is not a problem. If you don't have a desktop there are external ones that you connect through USB as well.
Can mount ISOs easier than installing from a disc. And space starts to become a premium as you get older. There's absolutely no need to have a big box PC collection unless you're autistic with nothing better to fill your life with. Consume product applies to older stuff as much as new stuff and I would rather use the space I have to do more than store media I can easily fit on a micro SD card.

Long term preservation this all goes out the window any way. Short term (say 50 years) we already struggle to use old tech and have to rely on emulation since our operating systems change so much. Something like Proton or a VM is essential to running older software for 99% of it. And then there's hardware issues (mid 2000s games only using a single core in our multicore systems). If we're talking burying a SSD in the sand I'm thinking 100 or so years until you dig it up. Compare world war 2 tech to what we have now and ask yourself what possible way the average Joe is going to have to use our technology. Especially bad considering how reliant so much of it is on the current internet and our technology system has sped up and made so much of it disposable and difficult to maintain or repair.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Undertale is not considered a pedo game by the mainstream (even though it's a game about a child 'seducing' enemies to survive), it's sold on major platforms so reporting it won't work.

Besides, you really want feds to look into Codex? Because I'm sure they'll find more more questionable content here. I'm from outside the US, so I don't give a crap but some particularly edgy people might suffer as a result.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Can mount ISOs easier than installing from a disc. And space starts to become a premium as you get older. There's absolutely no need to have a big box PC collection unless you're autistic with nothing better to fill your life with. Consume product applies to older stuff as much as new stuff and I would rather use the space I have to do more than store media I can easily fit on a micro SD card.

Long term preservation this all goes out the window any way. Short term (say 50 years) we already struggle to use old tech and have to rely on emulation since our operating systems change so much. Something like Proton or a VM is essential to running older software for 99% of it. And then there's hardware issues (mid 2000s games only using a single core in our multicore systems). If we're talking burying a SSD in the sand I'm thinking 100 or so years until you dig it up. Compare world war 2 tech to what we have now and ask yourself what possible way the average Joe is going to have to use our technology. Especially bad considering how reliant so much of it is on the current internet and our technology system has sped up and made so much of it disposable and difficult to maintain or repair.
And yet somehow I managed to see lots of even pre WW2 movies because people indeed saved and shared them.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"it's optional" has been the meme for far too long. meanwhile the service keeps suffering.
"Just don't worry about it, bro!!!"
Why should I worry about a partnership with an Amazon service I never use? If someone needs cloud gaming, go for it. I purchased a pretty powerful desktop precisely not to be in need of such services.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
psh.... Ok. I believe the burying was in jest but whatever And ya'll can stop being bitches and crapping on my avatar. It's the best skull out there; you pathetic pansy fucktards.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Besides, you really want feds to look into Codex? Because I'm sure they'll find more more questionable content here. I'm from outside the US, so I don't give a crap but some particularly edgy people might suffer as a result.
We already have feds in charge. Who do you think Crispy works for?
And yet somehow I managed to see lots of even pre WW2 movies because people indeed saved and shared them.
Preserving film is very different to preserving games. Playing a handheld game on a large screen gives a totally different experience to playing it on the original hardware. Making a moving picture bigger doesn't impact things the same way. And it snowballs from there with hardware differences like rumble packs and VMUs etc.

psh.... Ok. I believe the burying was in jest but whatever And ya'll can stop being bitches and crapping on my avatar. It's the best skull out there; you pathetic pansy fucktards.
I'm only ironically telling people I'm a fag! I'm actually an edgy kid!

Konjad

Patron
Preserving film is very different to preserving games. Playing a handheld game on a large screen gives a totally different experience to playing it on the original hardware. Making a moving picture bigger doesn't impact things the same way. And it snowballs from there with hardware differences like rumble packs and VMUs etc.

I played games older than me. I just run them in DOS-Box. The oldest games I have physically on a CD also work just fine, in some cases I just needed to install nGlide. Worst case scenario I will have to run virtual machine with an old OS someday, but none of the games I have stored I expect to 'just stop working'. Anyway, why did you even switch topic to handhelds? We were talking PC games.

The only games that 'jsut stop working' are ones with fucked up DRM, but that's a completely different topic and relates only to some games.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
No sunglasses and a terrible smile.

I found a great thrill getting older games to emulation or moving them from older media to current. Getting a running version of every Stuart Smith's Adventure Construction Set from AppleII, C64, DOS, and Amiga to archive with each type of working adventure disk and archived adventures was a thrill. I also wanted to compare sound bits and graphical assets which varied quite a bit. Having limited hardware I struggled to get even the DOS version broken into the 5 adventure disks. I probably could have done it easier if I had more understanding of dosbox and virtual drives. It was just easier using an old nearly broken laptop with a 3.5" drive (that barely had dos working btw), and creating the disks there. Then I bought a portable drive to copy those disks to my newer laptop and archive them on SSD, DVD, BLUERAY, and the cloud. I had help with the appleii versions and c64 personal adventures.

Sometimes, copies of the currently available aren't clean or are fucked up. Having the original source and backing it up helps to keep a record of it.

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Educated
I played games older than me. I just run them in DOS-Box. The oldest games I have physically on a CD also work just fine, in some cases I just needed to install nGlide. Worst case scenario I will have to run virtual machine with an old OS someday, but none of the games I have stored I expect to 'just stop working'. Anyway, why did you even switch topic to handhelds? We were talking PC games.
Someone has to understand the old hardware and adapt it to the current thing. Look how long it's taken Xbox emulation and 360 emulation to become a thing and both were basically glorified PCs. Will we have a DOS box in 200 years? Probably not. We still have access to DOS developers who understand the systems ins and outs so they can adapt it to a modern system. But what happens in 100 years time when they're all dead? DOS box will need porting to newer systems and it becomes Chinese whispers until it stops functioning. Supporting old hardware becomes impossible when we stop making the exact components they need so we can't even fire up an old machine to test any more.

Information technology is such an odd and specific thing it's basically wizardry to everyone who didn't grow up directly engaged with it. And there's an even smaller group of people who understand how it works. The more we hide how the sausage is made the fewer people are capable of butchery any more and late Millenials already think meat comes from a super market.
The only games that 'jsut stop working' are ones with fucked up DRM, but that's a completely different topic and relates only to some games.
Many of us would argue a lot of PC games never actually work out the box and require patches or tinkering with config files. There's already a lot of games with issues like this floating around from 30 years back.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Ok now you're just being retarded. The "current" players aren't concerned with 100-200 years from now.
We're talking game preservation. Are current readers interested in stuff written over 200 years ago? William Shakespeare would imply they are. If we're discussing game preservation it has to be on the 200-1,000 years time line not the 20 years one.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Can digital media even last that long? It's only been about 30+ years and already some media doesn't work properly due to file corruption, compatibility issues and damaged storage mediums. CD Scratches are a bitch.
Probably not. Which is what makes game preservation such an interesting problem. It's a constant sinking ship.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The fact there are older games which are hard to run on modern systems is enough for us to start thinking about digital preservation now and not in 50 years time.

ds

Cipher
Patron
Someone has to understand the old hardware and adapt it to the current thing. Look how long it's taken Xbox emulation and 360 emulation to become a thing and both were basically glorified PCs. Will we have a DOS box in 200 years? Probably not. We still have access to DOS developers who understand the systems ins and outs so they can adapt it to a modern system. But what happens in 100 years time when they're all dead? DOS box will need porting to newer systems and it becomes Chinese whispers until it stops functioning. Supporting old hardware becomes impossible when we stop making the exact components they need so we can't even fire up an old machine to test any more.
This is a non-issue as emulation can be layered if there is no better option. So anything that can emulate today's systems gets whatever emulation we have today for free.

Can digital media even last that long? It's only been about 30+ years and already some media doesn't work properly due to file corruption, compatibility issues and damaged storage mediums. CD Scratches are a bitch.
Depends? Depending on density requirements you can absolutely build storage that lasts centuries. Doesn't mean that your average consumer media will last that long. It also depends how much effort you want to put into reading your data in the future - just because a random CD or floppy drive refuses to read something doesn't mean that the data can't be recovered. You can also improve the expected lifetime for existing storage media by adding (more) error correction codes, again sacrificing density. But unless you are preparing for a world ending event you are probably better off actively maintaining the data and moving it to new storage once the old one degrades. Or just upload your files to the Internet Archvie and hope they do a good job of preserving them.

The fact there are older games which are hard to run on modern systems is enough for us to start thinking about digital preservation now and not in 50 years time.
Yeah. Sucks that you often need to break the law to do that as if the technical hurdles weren't enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom