Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

KafkaBot

Scholar
Anyone interested in pirating games should strive to get into GGN.

KafkaBot

Scholar
Lol, even as a joke, I can't really agree. Often pirating is the only reasonable way of obtaining a game, even if you can afford to purchase it. For instance, I've pirated lots of japanese games because I absolutely refuse to submit myself to their downright retarded DRM mechanisms (limits to the number of activations, for instance).

And that's without taking into account those times when a game isn't even being sold anywhere in the first place (other than Ebay and similar stores, that is).

Hell Swarm

Educated
I can't recall which GOG pirate site I used to visit but it became a god damn virus park. It was like walking in Eugene with all the homeless and their needles and shit everywhere. WATCH YOUR STEP!!! FUCK!!!

Yeah, a lot of certain sites I've abandoned. I am not sure if this one was a shit-fest or not. I went legit purchase a long while ago unless roms and internet archive.
Internet archive isn't any more secure than these random sites. The best way to do it is to use torrents from reliable repackers. They have vetted the game before hand so it should be clean of bullshit.
Lol, even as a joke, I can't really agree. Often pirating is the only reasonable way of obtaining a game, even if you can afford to purchase it. For instance, I've pirated lots of japanese games because I absolutely refuse to submit myself to their downright retarded DRM mechanisms (limits to the number of activations, for instance).

And that's without taking into account those times when a game isn't even being sold anywhere in the first place (other than Ebay and similar stores, that is).
I want a demo. If I think your games worth buying I'll pick it up. If not I probably won't play very much. Why waste time with Steam refunds when I can do it this way instead?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I miss a proper, oldschool Abandonware site where you can find forgotten gems and the like...

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

I miss a proper, oldschool Abandonware site where you can find forgotten gems and the like...
I hear if you speak Russian they still exist. Actually, I think a lot of places that still have the same libraries you'd expect an abandonware website to have 20 years ago are non-English. Sadly though, even on these sites you'll still find some of these forgotten gems that don't work properly or are categorized weirdly.

Cologno

Educated
Again, it's like you all live in world where bitorrent and online translations don't exist.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
500957dc2a84fa3fab81d973350dc98d4e56267b668095186faf69da30c19065.jpg

Dat frog....

Azdul

Magister
Sorry but the idea of private site with torrent trackers is dumb. It's like warez FTP servers in the 90's - only 20 years too late.

What would happen to the scene when all smart people will leave and admins will let unwashed masses in ?

The answer is - GGN access can be bought for mere 60$. It's a small price to pay when you want to be 3l1t3 h4xor - but don't want to learn how to use Internet.

KafkaBot

Scholar
Sorry but the idea of private site with torrent trackers is dumb. It's like warez FTP servers in the 90's - only 20 years too late.

What would happen to the scene when all smart people will leave and admins will let unwashed masses in ?

The answer is - GGN access can be bought for mere 60$. It's a small price to pay when you want to be 3l1t3 h4xor - but don't want to learn how to use Internet.
The idea itself might be dumb (it is, at the very least, working right now), but there are almost zero decent public and specialized trackers nowadays; Nyaa is essentially the only one, and even then, it has serious problems with retention. Hell, even general public trackers aren't faring well; Rutracker is pretty much the only one that can be said to be truly great.

So yeah, if you want a great tracker for games, GGN is your best (perhaps only) bet, regardless of how one might feel about its exclusivity.

Also, I do not recommend buying invites. Sure, maybe you will never get caught, but if you are, you'll be banned across pretty much the entire spectrum of the great private trackers. You're also fucked if the seller gets caught, so you can't even just trust your own opsec skills. I've seen way too many people lose their accounts this way to recommend it, and playing a stupid game of wack-a-mole with the admins is often harder than actually getting in via "legitimate" means.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was curious on the latest release and comparison:
Individually the games look to sell for: $7.99 each

Toaplan Arcade Shoot'em Ups 1

$19.99
Vol 1 Games:

1. Zero Wing
2. Twin Cobra
3. Out Zone
4. Truxton

Toaplan Arcade Shoot'em Ups 2

$19.99
Vol 2 Games:

1. Fire Shark
2. Flying Shark
3. Hellfire
4. Slap Fight

Toaplan Arcade Shoot'em Ups 3

$19.99
Vol 3 Games:

1. Tiger Heli
2. Batsugun
3. FixEight
4. Vimana

Toaplan Arcade Shoot'em Ups 4

$19.81
Vol 4 Games:

1. Dogyuun
2. Grind Stormer
3. Truxton 2
4. Twin Hawk

Toaplan Arcade Shoot'em Ups Ultimate Collection

$69.99
Ultimate Collection Games:

1. Zero Wing
2. Twin Cobra
3. Out Zone
4. Truxton
5. Fire Shark
6. Flying Shark
7. Hellfire
8. Slap Fight
9. Tiger Heli
10. Batsugun
11. FixEight
12. Vimana
13. Dogyuun
14. Grind Storme
15. Truxton 2
16. Twin Hawk

Lol at the cash grab descriptions:
Vol 1 said:
ZAP! SPLAT! BANG! BOOM!

The Toaplan Shoot 'Em Up Bundle Vol. 2 gives you four arcade classics for a great price! It's quadruple the action, a billion times the fun, and a thrill ride back in time to the neon-lit arcades of the 80s!

With modern enhancements, leaderboards, screen filters, and quality-of-life extras, no threat stands between you and absolute victory. Got what it takes? Prove it on the battlefield!

Vol 2 said:
ZAP! SPLAT! BANG! BOOM!

The Toaplan Shoot 'Em Up Bundle Vol. 2 gives you four arcade classics for a great price! It's quadruple the action, a billion times the fun, and a thrill ride back in time to the neon-lit arcades of the 80s!

With modern enhancements, leaderboards, screen filters, and quality-of-life extras, no threat stands between you and absolute victory. Got what it takes? Prove it on the battlefield!

Vol 3 said:
ZAP! SPLAT! BANG! BOOM!

The Toaplan Shoot 'Em Up Bundle Vol. 3 gives you four arcade classics for a great price! It's quadruple the action, a billion times the fun, and a thrill ride back in time to the neon-lit arcades of the 80s!

vol 4 said:
ZAP! SPLAT! BANG! BOOM!

The Toaplan Shoot 'Em Up Bundle Vol. 4 gives you four arcade classics for a great price! It's quadruple the action, a billion times the fun, and a thrill ride back in time to the neon-lit arcades of the 80s!

Ultimate Collection said:
ZAP! SPLAT! BANG! BOOM!
Ultimate Collection said:
The Toaplan Arcade Shoot'em Ups Ultimate Collection gives you four arcade classics for a great price! It's quadruple the action, a billion times the fun, and a thrill ride back in time to the neon-lit arcades of the 80s!With modern enhancements, leaderboards, screen filters, and quality-of-life extras, no threat stands between you and absolute victory. Got what it takes? Prove it on the battlefield!

No screenshots on collections, so I guess look up each game individually. Are they actual arcade ports or a console port is what I wonder. I'll check comments.

One thing I guess all of these games have is new QOL improvements.

QUALITY OF LIFE IMPROVEMENTS:​

• Minimal Input Lag: Emulation, input processing, and rendering all complete on the same frame.
  • Quick Save using F1-F10, Reload with Shift+ F1-F10
  • Online leaderboards for Single Credit, No Assist, and Assisted plays.
  • Instrument panels with extra gameplay information and artwork.
  • Rewind the game between 10-18 minutes, depending on the action.
  • Capture sharable replays to immortalize your interstellar victories (or funny moments).
  • Assist Features such as auto-fire at multiple rates.
  • Very Easy Mode: Lower the difficulty to breeze through the adventure.
  • Pixel perfect or full-screen scaling in windowed or full-screen mode.
  • Rotate the gameplay in 90-degree increments.
  • Hone your skills in the ultra customizable practice mode!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Good lord.. spoiler that. I wondered who and when it would happen.

FIRST POST DIRECTLY AFTER!

Lordy...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Toaplan Arcade Shoot'em Ups 2

$19.99
Vol 2 Games:

1. Fire Shark
2. Flying Shark
3. Hellfire
4. Slap Fight

I was confused at first, because I thought 'Fire Shark' and 'Flying Shark' were the same game, but it turns out Flying Shark's other title is 'Sky Shark'.

Very fishy naming convention there.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well be it mobygames or wiki, it just seems US version was renamed. C64 had both names on two games.
Flying Shark,known as Sky Shark in North America, is a 1987 vertically scrolling shooterarcade video game originally developed by Toaplanand published by Taito in Japan, Romstar in North America and Electrocoin in Europe.

Just more confusion to make one wonder why? Tbh, they certainly could have made two separate games. It still isn't the biplane arcade game I vaguely remember from my childhood. I remember so sort of epic starter music as the plane did a loop de loop out of the hanger before assaulting the city. Bah! I can't recall the name but I make sure to watch the intros to these games to see if it pops up. And YES, I'm damn sure it was an arcade cabinet.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well be it mobygames or wiki, it just seems US version was renamed. C64 had both names on two games.
Flying Shark,known as Sky Shark in North America, is a 1987 vertically scrolling shooterarcade video game originally developed by Toaplanand published by Taito in Japan, Romstar in North America and Electrocoin in Europe.

Just more confusion to make one wonder why? Tbh, they certainly could have made two separate games. It still isn't the biplane arcade game I vaguely remember from my childhood. I remember so sort of epic starter music as the plane did a loop de loop out of the hanger before assaulting the city. Bah! I can't recall the name but I make sure to watch the intros to these games to see if it pops up. And YES, I'm damn sure it was an arcade cabinet.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was thinking it was 1942 but it seemed more modern. I saw there are a couple of versions of 1943 but then I wondered if there weren't versions of 1942. I'll recheck some vids, my brain is probably making something up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom