Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God DAMN Divinity II is addictive

Eyeball

Arcane
Started playing this, but i'm not feeling it. I'm at that island where you have to talk to different people and choose who die. After Risen 2 this feels, meh. I enjoyed Divine Divinity but i'll probably drop this one.

Combat is just not fun, world feels not interesting, enemy design is terrible, quests are alright, and after reading that the dragon form is useless and a gimmick i'm not interesting in going further.
What did you expect, you don't like anything that's good.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Writing is fine, quests are fine, world is fine but... combat is fucking atrocious mostly due to Gamebryo. That's pretty much the end of it for an arpg. If the combat lacks impact/heft/weight and you don't have fun killing monsters then you're just forcing yourself to continue. I uninstalled after meeting the dude in the tower. Was my second go with the game... won't be trying a third.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Started playing this, but i'm not feeling it. I'm at that island where you have to talk to different people and choose who die. After Risen 2 this feels, meh. I enjoyed Divine Divinity but i'll probably drop this one.

Combat is just not fun, world feels not interesting, enemy design is terrible, quests are alright, and after reading that the dragon form is useless and a gimmick i'm not interesting in going further.
What did you expect, you don't like anything that's good.
I don't know. However since i stopped playing Divinity 2 i nstalled FarCry2 and man is this game awesome, and underrated. But that's for another thread.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Writing is fine, quests are fine, world is fine but... combat is fucking atrocious mostly due to Gamebryo. That's pretty much the end of it for an arpg. If the combat lacks impact/heft/weight and you don't have fun killing monsters then you're just forcing yourself to continue. I uninstalled after meeting the dude in the tower. Was my second go with the game... won't be trying a third.
Yeah, eventhough DD1 had technically the same combat, i did not mind it. Here though it's just not good.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, eventhough DD1 had technically the same combat, i did not mind it. Here though it's just not good.

To be honest I found it quite fun actually. What character did you play, because I picked ranger and through the whole game I thought "God it must suck to play a melee character in this game". I had the impression that without dodging spells, rolling around and hiding behind the scenery the combat would lack anything that would make it interesting.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Interesting. I had exactly the opposite experience: Once I picked this up I didn't go back to Risen 2. Of course, after getting about 2/3s through I picked up Dragon's Dogma and holy shit, THAT MOTHERFUCKER IS ADDICTIVE.

But honestly, if D2 isn't doing it for you I don't know what to tell you.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Well damn, despite my critique i did not delete the game but spent an hour playing and choosing who goes in my tower. Something about this game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

It doesn't have the same combat at all. One is in the style of Diablo the other is more akin to Gothic albeit a thousand times worse.

catfood

AGAIN

To be honest I found it quite fun actually. What character did you play, because I picked ranger and through the whole game I thought "God it must suck to play a melee character in this game". I had the impression that without dodging spells, rolling around and hiding behind the scenery the combat would lack anything that would make it interesting.
Well duh, it's a Divinity game. Archery is always the way to go.

Eyeball

Arcane
I don't see anything wrong with the fighting system in D2, frankly. Mages get a load of neat little tricks as well as highly effective magic blasting abilities but still need to dodge and avoid in order to not get swarmed and warriors dodge in and out of combat constantly using whirlwind and charge attacks and spinning jumps to avoid projectiles. The final boss of the original campaign against LALALALASPOILER and his/her minions was very challenging as a warrior and required a lot of frantic buttonpressery.

The worst thing about the game's the dragon sections, IMO. It could have done without them entirely.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Dragon sections were cool, although pre-nerf very hard at times.

Also, archery is more noob friendly, but melee is most def more powerful. Once you are high enough level, try to respec to melee with dual wield skills, a thousand strikes and the skills that let you drain HP and mana from the target with your strikes, absolutely no contest, nobody can match the dmg output, no mage and no archer. Plus you hardly need potions because you heal up and refill your mana so much just with your attacks. The endboss for instance you'll obliterate in seconds that way, with a mage or an archer she might be a challenge, in melee she's gone after 3sec.

A THOUSAND STRIKES

DraQ

Arcane
It doesn't have the same combat at all. One is in the style of Diablo the other is more akin to Gothic albeit a thousand times worse.
Actually I'd say it's still like Diablo, only with direct control and jumping.

And damn cooldowns.
:x

Other than that I enjoyed all the gameplay sections, although often barely so. The game isn't stellar mechanically, but it's not the kind of game you play for mechanics and it still has some stuff going for it even if you do.

Zeriel

Arcane

Melee combat was really fun to me, almost entirely because of the charge mechanic, which let you weave in and out of melee, causing a stun every time you charge (which AFAIR basically had no cooldown/or a very short one, and was just based on range to target), with jump attacks to avoid further damage.

Dual wielding melee also did absurd amounts of damage.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Yeah i'm melee. Who's the guy in a cave near the village offering you to build some creature or something. Doesnt work though.

Cadmus

Arcane
I remember archery being overpowered like fuck, I literally two shot the big demon boss in some underground (I can't remember the name but it was supposed to be the second strongest boss I think...?) by sneaking up to him with invisibility and using that volley skill from up close, that skill was a nuclear bomb when all the arrows hit, and then I shot a second time dunno what and he died. Funny is that the boss was fucking hard to kill at first cuz he kept 2 shotting me with some magic fireballs and I was desperate and didn't think invisibility would work but tried it cuz I had nothing left to do, it was impossible to fight him. And it worked!

Seerix

Arbiter
Played this game pretty much exactly a year ago. Ragequitted after Terminator scene, fucking game ate my main save file and I couldn't get back to it. I think stumbling on this thread is good enough reason to have another go.

On the game itself, it's fucking epic. Both side quest and main story are really fun, especially that twist and what happened afterwards in main quest nearing the end was fucking amazing and the only thing in years that got my jaw dropped. It was worth all the tedium of gameplay :salute:

T. Reich

Arcane
Heh, I've been re-playing DKS for the last week as well, went mage/archer hybrid this time (fireball + explosive arrow combo? Yes, please!). Just made it past the Terminator scene.

The game is still very easy if you know how to powerplay it and avoid charging into the middle of mob packs.

My opinion is that bow = OP for the early game, when you experience shortage of skill points, then after acquiring the skill trainer and raising max skill treshold to 10 the magic is the best pick for EZ game, and in the endgame you could run whatever you wanted really.

...And, yes, it's still addictive as fuck :P.

Cadmus

Arcane
Heh, I've been re-playing DKS for the last week as well, went mage/archer hybrid this time (fireball + explosive arrow combo? Yes, please!). Just made it past the Terminator scene.

The game is still very easy if you know how to powerplay it and avoid charging into the middle of mob packs.

My opinion is that bow = OP for the early game, when you experience shortage of skill points, then after acquiring the skill trainer and raising max skill treshold to 10 the magic is the best pick for EZ game, and in the endgame you could run whatever you wanted really.

...And, yes, it's still addictive as fuck :P.
Are you also considering the critical hit skill from the warrior tree for the bow? I hadn't realized it was there but when I trained it fully it made a huge difference for the bow. I think I'll replay it one day with magic, to see if it's better than the bow.

How are the summons by the way?

T. Reich

Arcane
Are you also considering the critical hit skill from the warrior tree for the bow? I hadn't realized it was there but when I trained it fully it made a huge difference for the bow. I think I'll replay it one day with magic, to see if it's better than the bow.

How are the summons by the way?

I did consider it. It's a mandatory skill for dex-based non-casters in my opinion.

In mid-game magic becomes pretty strong because you can dual-wield 2x maces with high magic damage enchantment, which actually does boost the spells' damage as well, and not just the weapons' damage. Basically, fireball becomes a 1-hit kill for whatever it touches, and so does magic missile. Confusion passive is also pretty OP.

Summons suck. Well, except for summon demon, which is a pretty good melee tank. But all summons deal pretty shitty damage, and summon mastery does nothing to help that.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Playing Div2 again. Dual-wield still OP.

Locations of malachite gems / malachite ore veins in Divinity 2 preserved for posterity:

- merchant in first village sells 2
- sleeper quest in broken valley rewards 1

orobas fjords:
- goblin cave (red iron alert quest) : 2 veins in lowest level where the book pedestals are
- dragon cave (patriarch) , 2 veins near the partriarch
- bellegars cave (gravedigger quest) : 2 veins
- read goblins mind (yggdrasil quest): 1 gem appears in tree nest
- zagan quest : quest reward 4 gems (if you mindread the quest-giver) , additionally there are two veins in the well cave right before you fight Zagan, very hard to find, here's a description: right before the way approaching the big orb thingie and triggering the cutscene there's a dragon skeleton on the ground to the left, hop over the skeleton and climb the rocks, hug the left wall and go forward on the rocks (on the ground way you'd trigger the cutscene), circle the rocks, look towards the left and you should see 2 veins. You must loot those before triggering combat, because you cannot come back (I tried, didn't work, couldn't jump down into the cave once the fight was over without transforming into dragonform). The veins are very generous though, immediately found 3 gems in the first one, and reloaded only 3 or 4 times for another 3 in the second. Nice.
- random merchant on the road between start (red alert goblin cave) towards champions harbor sells 1 gem

That's all I found.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Two-handed+Jump is pretty fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom