Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Ash

Arcane
The amount of TK's are cut down in v9.0, and the Triad fight is set back to vanilla. This may be a good solution.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
How does the mantling timing work in 9.0? I cannot make it work, my success rate is like 1 succesful attemp for 8-10 bad ones. I get that you have to press jump again while in mid-air, and yes, I have it activated on the settings, but I completely suck with this new system.

Edit: Nevermind, I get it now... you have to press jump again very soon after the initial jump. Two many decades of double-jump mechanics wired into my brain, where you have to jump again at the highest peak.

Edit2: and now I cannot do it again, wtf... I guess I'll deal with it

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
You can press it at any point of the jump. Just make sure you're reasonably aligned with the surface. Did you play the tutorial? It goes into it some. Surest bet is to spam the key.
You can even fall from height and save yourself by mantling if something is within reach, although if you're falling too fast (approximately 1/3 or more of terminal velocity) you can't. By design.

Alright, throwing knives can now be retrieved from corpses of enemies you've killed with them, and it even plays a fleshy gore sound to indicate the extraction of the knive/s.
This means I can now place emphasis on realism and remove throwing knives that are placed in unrealistic locations. Now that good gameplay is seen to. Throwing knives are very complimentary to a melee build and wasn't supported well vanilla due to this focus on realism, but now we can have both realism and gameplay.
If any testers come across any such locations let me know.

Last edited:

KlauZ

Educated
New props are cool, but pencils need to be bulkier in DX artsyle. Use a lockpick for reference.

KlauZ

Educated
I meant taking items out.

Another interesting PS2 addition: Paul's secret room is larger:
m3DBai7.jpg

Ash

Arcane
Looks better vanilla imo. Although it being more spacious is probably more realistic.

I meant taking items out.

For what purpose? It's only really a problem when holstering.

KlauZ

Educated
The same reason why oneclick holstering is a problem. Accidently taking out things don't need.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah but that's not really a concerning issue, except in places where drawing weapons results in hostility I guess.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Random thought -- could cigarettes be given a positive effect beyond a mildly distracting smoke cloud? Shifter's sobering effect is pretty silly, but something like slight aim stabilization could be interesting.

Generally I wonder if the various drugs in the game could have more uses/tradeoffs. Obviously the alcohol has the vision effect which means you can't really drink it in combat, but it's still a pretty short lived effect rather than a more slowly accumulating effect that you'd feel over a longer duration. Zyme is basically just the vision effect, although I guess it zooms in.

Any impactful change has the risk of coming off super gamey, though. Like Bioshock's trade health for mana shenanigans. It also makes sense that cigarettes are just bad for you.

Ash

Arcane
Frantically attempting to interact with something small in combat (door switch), attempting to escape when you got a lot of enemies on your ass.

Accidentally holstering equipped items that are not in the toolbelt, you have to bring up the inventory to equip it again.

There's probably other notable scenarios.

For those that don't know what we're on about, we're talking about one of GMDX's many options, "Double click holstering", which makes holstering weapons require a double right click as opposed to one right click, if the option is enabled. Necessary because right click interacts with things, and if nothing is targeted instead it holsters your weapon.
The contextual, multi-functional nature caused some issues in this particular instance.

Last edited:

KlauZ

Educated
Erm, equipping unnecessary item in toolbelt still holster item that i held in my hand. And now its worse because more animations playing.

Ash

Arcane
Random thought -- could cigarettes be given a positive effect beyond a mildly distracting smoke cloud? Shifter's sobering effect is pretty silly, but something like slight aim stabilization could be interesting.

Any impactful change has the risk of coming off super gamey, though. Like Bioshock's trade health for mana shenanigans. It also makes sense that cigarettes are just bad for you.

It's a purely a simulation and world building prop. No reason it should be changed. If we want more items with gameplay enhancing effects I can always add more, with the help of some artists. In fact I'd like more, as there is very little consumables in the game overall.

KlauZ said:
Erm, equipping unnecessary item in toolbelt still holster item that i held in my hand. And now its worse because more animations playing.

Can you explain in more detail?

Edit: Oh right. I see. Maybe I'll apply the double click gate to it.

Last edited:

KlauZ

Educated
What if laser tripwires were invisible and cigarette smoke would make them visible.
Also you can add augmentation for shooting bees, and if enemy uses it, you can scare them off.
By the way, second hand smoke should do twice more damage to the enemy than to JC. Scientific fact.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What if laser tripwires were invisible and cigarette smoke would make them visible.
This would actually be really cool. Cigarettes, pepper spray, smoke in general. Would also allow for some sweet room redesigns where the tripwires can be walked through with ease.... if you can figure out where they are.

DavetheGrave

Literate
This would actually be really cool. Cigarettes, pepper spray, smoke in general. Would also allow for some sweet room redesigns where the tripwires can be walked through with ease.... if you can figure out where they are.
Would be pretty good feature for Hardcore, have the vision aug be able to spot the lasers. Also make the noise much less loud and more subtle so it can sneak up on you more.

Black

Arcane
To people testing GMDX 9, is it me or is running draining stamina way too fast? JC ain't no fatty.

KlauZ

Educated
He's carrying about 60 kg of equipment, and it's probably difficult to run in that coat and leather boots.

Black

Arcane
No, just hard.
Also untrained athletics :M

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom